Author Topic: stolen freighter  (Read 3313 times)

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
stolen freighter
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
I am trying to find any information there may be on a small freighter that was stolen from a Newfoundland port in the mid 80's.
The ship's name was "Eminence" prior to that her name was "Elizabeth" or visa versa. I'm not 100% sure which was her original name.
If anybody has any info or even suggestions as to where to search such a thing it would be kindly appreciated.
Stantheman

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: stolen freighter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »
"Eminence" - IMO 5103376
555 grt, 752 dwt
Built 1945 by J. Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen, for London & Rochester Trading Co. Ltd.
Sold to Canada in 1967 and renamed "Elizabeth"

Brgds
Phil

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks Phil for that info.
Stan

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:56 PM »
When in Canada her owners were North Atlantic Bulk Cargoes of Carbonear, Newfoundland. This was a company managed by Rorke Fish & Coal Co Ltd. The company exported fish and imported coal, and Elizabeth was a frequent caller in North Sydney, Nova Scotia to load coal.
I first saw her, as Eminence, March 14, 1967 (she was still registered in Rochester) She then spent the next several weeks at Dartmouth Marine Slip, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia being repaired for ice damage. By April 23, 1967 she had been renamed Elizabeth. It is possible that she operated for a time on charter from London & Rochester to Rorke, but he did eventually buy the ship.
According to my notes her Lloyd's classification was suspended in December 1979- she needed repairs.
By 1982, according to Lloyd's Register, she was flying the Cayman Islands flag without change of ownership.
In December 1984 there was notation in the LR Supplement to "delete call sign, official number, owners, flag and port of registry"
That may help you to pin down the date.
You say the ship was stolen - where did this take place?  I certainly don't recall seeing anything about it at the time. Was it a fraudulent sale transaction? There were certainly a number of ships sold to the Caribbean area in those days that were never seen or heard of again, and were thought to have been scuttled after drug transfers at sea.

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
It was sometime in 1985 or 1986 this was supposed to have happened. I'll check my other source and see if they know from where.
This all started from a photo of my Father and 3 other men on a ship that surfaced some months ago. We were trying to identify the ship and everyone that would have known, including my Father is deceased.
One of my brother's does have some more info that I will check out.
Thanks for this.
Stan

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Thanks for all your help with this. I've gone as far as I need to with this topic.
Thanks again.
Stan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk