Author Topic: tugs and towing  (Read 8864 times)

Offline dickt

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nationaalsleepvaartmuseum.nl
tugs and towing
« on: September 16, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
Dear people, i love the photograths of the tugs you make, but why do you forget to add the objects they are towing on your pictures, the will be much more intresting. Dick Toet.

BobS

Re: tugs and towing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
Probably because tugs are usually quite small compared to the ships they are towing so that, in a photo of both, it will not be possible to see much detail of the tug that is the subject of the picture. The tug will be 'too far away' and the admins will probably delete the photo!

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
You could put the photo in the Shipping Category to avoid the pictures deletion?

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
Probably because tugs are usually quite small compared to the ships they are towing so that, in a photo of both, it will not be possible to see much detail of the tug that is the subject of the picture. The tug will be 'too far away' and the admins will probably delete the photo!

they shouldn't and I think wouldn't be deleted if the tug is in the same photo as a ship.
I try to keep the tug prominent in the photo but show some of the ship also.
example:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1327434

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
One of my best pic was deleted exactly for that problem.
And, I like several of us, have quite a number falling in the same situation.

I am mostly interested to depict action rather than  slim ships profiles even less while they sit at anchor or docked besides grey buildings!

So tugs with integrated barges, with a vessel in tow or docking a ship are amongst my favourites shots. (Second, apart from aerials while sailing and better with ice floes.)

My opinion is that there should be consideration from the administration for sub-categories of tugs in action, allowing for those interesting pics.
Thank you!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »
Jean, Fergal,

This is a subject that Ken and I have actually been mulling over for some time. It is apparent that there needs to be a deviation from the general photo guidelines within the 'tugs' category due to the fact that many of the shots will not be just of the tug but of the 'tug & tow' (or 'push' if it is a pusher tug / tug with integrated barge.)
Rest assured, since I have been the photo administrator for the 'tugs' category no images will have been deleted due to including the tow, as long as the tug is the main subject of the picture or the tow obviously adds to the essence of the scene.
We will probably introduce a sub-category to 'tugs' named something like 'tugs & tow' but will need to fine tune the guidelines first to avoid any confusion over what is appropriate and what is not.
Please bear with us whilst the details are thought through, this sort of thing needs to be considered in detail first to anticipate any of the pitfalls which can occur.
Any constructive input on how best to implement this would of course be most well received.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

BobS

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
Quite simple, really: Introduce a new category entitled something like "Towage Operations" or Tug-and-Tow".

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 02:03:12 AM »
Great!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Thanks to Ken for setting up and describing the rationale behind this new sub-category to 'tugs'. I will be drafting up some FAQs for this over the next few days and then back tracking through the main 'tugs' category to relocate images as appropriate. Its a large amount of images to wade through so will not be completed overnight!
In the meantime should any clarification or guidance be required please feel free to send a pm message to myself as well as Ken. We're here to help.
Happy Spotting.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Thanks Ken !
From what I understand
The new category might be resumed as dead-ship towing.
Docking or assisting doesn't fall into it.

When docking with tugs if we see the whole  or more "than half the above water area of the larger ship", posting  goes to the larger ship category.

Am I right?

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Hi all,

Note that we have renamed this sub-category 'Tugs with tow' to differentiate it from tug operations in general which may include ship handling, which it is not intended to include within this sub-category. Until full FAQ guidelines are drawn up for this and the main tugs category please see the below as a guide specific to the 'Tugs with tow' sub-category, in addition to the site standards for all photographs which must of course be complied with:

"This category is intended for pictures of tugs which include the subject of the tow as well as the tug.

This may include barges, lighters, rigs, dead ships or any of the other things which a tug may be called upon to tow.

Pusher tugs with craft and tug/barge combinations should also be posted in this category.

Pictures of tugs involved in towage operations where the tug fills the majority of the picture and the tow is not fully shown should be posted in the main

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Hi Derek,

Thanks for that. I've started from the front and gone back 15,000 now so if you want to start from the back we'll meet in the middle some time ;)

Have a great time in Scotland.

Best Regards
John J.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk