Author Topic: Inland English ports 1-9-11  (Read 8431 times)

Offline The Catman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Inland English ports 1-9-11
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Following my query about the suitability of NE England ports I was pointed in the direction of Goole as a good place to go.

A bit of research, and a slight detour in a journey to visit family, saw me making a short visit on to East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire on Thursday 1 Sept 2011.

First call was Goole as after watching Marinetraffic.com for a couple of days I could see that the port was busy, and so it proved:

Scanlark was loading steel
Baltic Sailor was loading wood products (but only a stern on shot possible)
Wiebke D was loading steel
Trans Agila was unloading containers (again only a stern shot possible)
Selene Prahm was alongside the timber terminal, and
Paper Moon was loading scrap metal.

So six ships spotted and it was on to the River Trent for Gunness and Flixborough

I knew that there were ships at the Neap House moorings at Gunness, and on my way around came across:

Seg unloading timber at Keadby

Neap House was very busy, and I saw:

Wilson Ruhr just closing the hold covers
Eems Dollard
Milady unloading cement
Edzard Cirksena, and
Kossau

Whilst I was taking pics there, along came Humber Ranger, the ABP Ports Survey craft, presumably doing a bottom survey.

A very short trip downstream brought me to Flixborough where Fast Julia was alongside (it is a pity that someone has planted a long stretch of trees directly opposite the mooring though), and then back up the Trent Ardea was alongside the chemical tanks at Gunness bridge.

So a total of 15 ships in just over 2 hours.

I doubt that I will be as lucky again!

TC

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:35:38 AM by The Catman »

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
Re: Inland English ports 1-9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »
Hi TC,

looks like you had quite a good day at Goole and the Trent.  A couple of points arising from your post:

If you want the authoritative version of what's going on around the Humber/Ouse/Trent ports, the ABP site has listings for "Ships on Passage", "Ships at Berth", and "Planned Voyages".  You will find the site here:

http://www.humber.com/Live-Information/Shipping-Movements/index.asp

It's possible to avoid the obstructing trees at Flixborough by going a short distance north of the village of Amcotts where you will find a small (rather rough) parking place on the right of the road with good access to the riverbank.  From there you will get good clear sight lines of the berths.  You can also go up the minor road opposite the pub where there is a gap in the trees that will give you some shots from slightly astern of the ships.  If you follow that road to the end you will also find a place to park from where you can walk the riverbank to the Neap House/Grove berths.

The berth you didn't mention and which has had a couple of ships today was Howdendyke.  Good shots of that one can be had from the village of Hook which is a couple of miles north of Goole.

I'm hoping to get down there tomorrow myself - but it already looks as though the traffic is thinning out considerably.

J

Offline The Catman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks - (PM sent by the way).

I did walk up the bank to the north of the trees at Amcotts, but useful to know about the rough car park.

I gave Howden Dyke a miss as AIS was showing nothing there after Antares left on Wednesday and Edzard Cirksena moved down to Neap House, but I definitely have it in mind for future visits.

One thing of note about Goole is when I was taking pics of Scanlark the guys there were saying that one of the container lifts was shortly going to be moved over to Hull, (used by PAL lines I think he said), as the shift to bigger boxships meant Goole was going to lose out, very much a pity.

Hope there are a few more arrivals for you

TC

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
The Transatlantic/PAL line service is to move to the site of the old grain silo and the quay near the ferry terminal, as you say to allow larger vessels to be used. The current vessels now regularly have to part cargo at Hull or Immingham to get up the Ouse to Goole, one of the reasons for the move away from Goole.

Just one small point TC - the vessels you have listed as being at Neap House - you may have covered Grove wharf in that list as Neap House only has two berths.

Hope this helps

Patrick

Offline The Catman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
Hi Patrick

Thanks for that - still sad to see Goole losing business, plus it will only mean more trucks travelling further on the roads....

You are right about Grove Wharf most of the vessels were on the south bank that faces east-west, but it wasn't that clear where I was on my first visit. So on the Trent there are effectively 5 different berths - Gunness (near the bridge), Keadby, Grove Wharf, Neap House and Flixborough, yes?

TC

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Hi Patrick

Thanks for that - still sad to see Goole losing business, plus it will only mean more trucks travelling further on the roads....

You are right about Grove Wharf most of the vessels were on the south bank that faces east-west, but it wasn't that clear where I was on my first visit. So on the Trent there are effectively 5 different berths - Gunness (near the bridge), Keadby, Grove Wharf, Neap House and Flixborough, yes?

TC

There's also Burton Stather which is downstream from Flixborough.  It was out of use for a few years but is back in action again although it gets very little traffic - Patrick will have a better idea, but I think it only gets about one ship every 3 months or so.

So, the whole list for the Trent, going upriver, is as follows:

Burton upon Stather:  one berth.

Flixborough:  two berths named NE and SE (I think that's "North End" and "South End")

Neap House:  two berths named simply 1 and 2

Grove:  lots of berths but not all are always used.  From memory the berth designations are as follows:

LE1
LE2
LM1
LM2
UM1
UM2
TE1
TE2
Dolphin
I think there's also one that is occasionally used that is referred to as "Tank"
IIRC, The letters stand for Low End, Lower Middle, Upper Middle, and Top End.

Keadby AWS:  one berth

Gunness:  two berths named Fina and Main.

Patrick has much more knowledge of all this than I do so he may correct a few points above.

Jimmy

Offline The Catman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
Hi Jimmy

That's clarified it nicely

Thanks
TC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk