Author Topic: Language  (Read 10578 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Re: Language
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 05:31:57 AM »
Re Henrik's comment:
"As the ads is what powers the site financially, it might be good to know that non-English pages violates most western world advertiser policies." We have a problem, Houston!
When I visit the site, the home page has an advertisement running down the right hand columns in English and Arabic!
Now what?
As for the post from Buddy2003, what was the point of that. It is a bit disappointing to read a post, then scroll down the page to find the latest post is the same post, repeated verbatim.
Henrik's idea of a multi lingual forum is a great idea. The site would then be able to cater for those for whom English is a foreign language! (pun intended).
Kelvin
PS Bob, how right you are! Many years ago I was introduced to someone with the words "This is Kelvin, he is a bit mad". I took immediate offence to that and pointed out I am not a bit mad. I am totally mad!

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
Hello folks,

I fear, this topic is blown up here too much, as well some people have (deliberately??) misunderstood what I wanted to say.

So, I ask you to switch on Common Sense !

I say, the site is o. k. as it is. English is the language of this site. Nobody has ever doubt this. Nobody ever screamed for a multi-language forum. Nobody ever wanted to change the fact, that the language of this site is English.

I said, that on occasions I will use German, when writing a comment under a photo of a fellow German shipspotter. Same is done on occasions by French and Dutsch, for an example.

I would understand the fuzz, if the site was full of comments in other language, so it would be confusing.

I watched, and what I notice now is following: 99% of language used, in comments, forum, everywhere is English. Only very little of comments in other language. I also watched my comments, and same there, 99% English.

I think, it should - asking your Common Sense - be possible, to show 1% tolerance to the very few comments in other languages. Let the site stay, as it is.

Also, I am wondering, how many percent of members complaint about the 1% of foreign language comments ?

To sum up - would be nice if the site stays, as it is, simply, including 1% tolerance :-)

P. S. I doubt that some of the English here can even imagine how much of tolerance it does need, when you are writing in English - but in some sort of slang which is impossible to understand if you're not from the same ghetto.

Offline Danijela Dani Paljusic

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »

I agree with Cornelia.

And as I said, at first I wrote some comments on my language, but now I only use English.

Of course it would be wonderful if we can use our native language, but not a problem to write in English. If something I do not understand, I turn Google translator.

So much from me.

Best regards to all.

Dani
Danijela
* always with camera in bag *

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk