Author Topic: Language  (Read 10598 times)

kensmith

Language
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »

There have been several complaints that comments are made in languages other than English, this is unfair to members because of the need to have to translate them, also it has been the case where some have been offensive and this can also be the case when translating them because they do not always translate correctly.

Most members appear to have an understanding of the English language, if not would you please make your own translation to English before making a comment.

Just to remind members the official language of the site is English.

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Languages#229

Regards
Ken

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Language
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
Hello Ken,

I will always write contributions to the forum as well as questions to members, who's langauge I don't know, in English.

However, I will not write any photo-comments in English, which are aimed to some German fellow-shipspotters. It would be nonsense, to write in English to people I know, and we speak better German than English !!

However, I think it is not unfair, because if any other member who does not understand the German comments, does REALLY show interest in knowing what is said, then a friendly question would help, and I would translate, even sometimes we are writing comments that are not having so much informative meaning but more some little fun.

I do not have a problem, when some members from Klaipeda area are writing comments on my photos in their language as happened, because if I really want to now, then I ask. If I do not see any need to know, then I leave it as it is.

I also do not mind any of the other members writing photo comments in their language, because why should this disturb ? As well I do not have to understand all, if some Dutch folks are having fun with photo comments, why not let them, and if really courious.. then ask !

I think, in forums and in general, use of English should be compulsory, but otherwise, I think with photo comments a bit of tolerance should be shown.

Just my opinion  :)

Offline Danijela Dani Paljusic

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
OK Ken. I have several times a commented on my language, but I won't do it again. I will always use English.
Greeting
Dani
Danijela
* always with camera in bag *

BobS

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
Members who wish to make comments aimed exclusively at one of  their compatriots should do so by Personal Message or e-mail.

Mitglieder, die sich um Kommentare zu schreiben ausschlie

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
Show off!
Kelvin

BobS

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Kelvin,
Why - because I've learned how to work Google Translate?
Cheers
Bob

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
Regarding this topic, and as well regarding the attempts of Bob Scott to provocate in a silly way here, which I can not really see any sense in, I agree that the language of this forum and the site is English.

However, I am German, and my native language is German, if I contact any other German member, I will in the future as well, use German !! If you like it or not, to be honest.

Of course comments to all other members and as well my travel reports will be in English.

Offline Tibbe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »
If you really are serious when you state that the input by Bob Scott on this

Clydee

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
Hi Cornelia

I see the logic in what you have said, but I think you have overlooked one aspect of the member communication available on this site.

When a comment is made to a photo, it appears for a time on the Home page.  Many members click on these and often add a comment of their own to add information of interest to others.

If a comment is not in the site language of English, then that opportunity for communication is reduced.

Best regards
Clyde

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »
Come along now everyone. Let's not get into another of those famous bun fights over rules, rules and more rules!
I agree with Cornelia; her native language is German so why can she not use it?
How many potential members will be put off because they feel embarrassed about their level of English?
Let's be honest here; some of our English members seem to have difficulty with the language at times!
Working in Saudi Arabia now, I use English when talking to my boss (650 miles away, hurrah!), Arabic when speaking to my Arabic staff, Tagalog when speaking with my Filipino staff and Rubbish the rest of the time!
Although I lived and nominally worked in the Wiesbaden area for 4 years, my standard of German was dreadful. The reason for this was all my work was in every other country in Europe, from Norway to Russia and all points south to Spain. Only 4 days actual work in Germany itself!
Oh, and ignore Bob. He is like me; quite mad!
Kelvin

BobS

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
Kelvin,
It would seem that you are quite a cunning linguist as well as being even more of a show-off about it than you accused me of being earlier in this thread!
Perhaps you are right: I may be quite mad but I am not like you -  you are completely mad!
Now you shouldn't insult people on the site by calling them mad. It might cause them to climb right out of their pram, take all their photos of off the site ,vow never to come back and go join a silly site! No such luck with me, though.
Cheers, you old Scouse git. Mind how you go out there in Saudi. Don't go getting sunburnt, flogged or beheaded.
Bob
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:00:52 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
I removed the bad taste post.

As the ads is what powers the site financially, it might be good to know that non-English pages violates most western world advertiser policies.

Common practice on larger international sites is to use the site's official language (here English) in any public text, no matter who you're writing. This out of courtesy for others.  

It also helps moderation of for example personal attacks etc. easier and faster.

The personal support part of this site already supports all most common languages. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve the site for other-than-English languages, feel free to send us your suggestions. I'm thinking of a different language forum section (with that language forum moderators already assigned) and perhaps automatic google-translate on comments.

Regards,
Henrik
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:28:57 PM by Henrik Soderberg »

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
I'm more or less fluent in Dutch,English,German and French. Yet I prefer English on the site.
Regarding Bob's message sorry to say that the German Google translation is not good at all.
The French translation is passable. You may pick up the crux of the messages but Google's translator is not accurate and may lead to more confusion. 

Ciao,
Rob.

BobS

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
That's what I thought, Robert(regarding the French and German)! I haven't a clue about the others but suspect that they may be less than accurate . . . . even comical, perhaps?

Offline buddy2003

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
Said by a wise man on this site:
"Common practice on larger international sites is to use the site's official language (here English) in any public text, no matter who you're writing. This out of courtesy for others. 

It also helps moderation of for example personal attacks etc. easier and faster.

The personal support part of this site already supports all most common languages. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve the site for other-than-English languages, feel free to send us your suggestions. I'm thinking of a different language forum section (with that language forum moderators already assigned) and perhaps automatic google-translate on comments."
What are you guys discussing, really? The Site language is English.
If anyone, man or woman, wants to exchange information with a native friend, pls do that. But use mail.
Boa Noite   /   Jan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk