Author Topic: Yacht takes on tanker  (Read 10334 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Yacht takes on tanker
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:15 AM »
Yesterday, in broad daylight, an idiot sailing his yacht in the Cowes week races thought he could intimidate the inbound tanker Hanne Knutsen.
Of course, he failed!
Having watched the idiots (and trust me, most of the yachting fraternity in the Solent are idiots) in the Solent for some time, I and the other regular ship spotters in the area have been saying "it is only a matter of time".
News report here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14433732
And brilliant photos here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023307/Yacht-ploughs-bulky-tanker-Cowes-Week-sailing-regatta.html
I should mention Hanne Knutsen was not damaged in the incident!
Kelvin

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Yacht takes on tanker
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »
Come on Kelvin, there were only 8 or so on the yacht and the tanker was only 123,000 dwt. Do you really expect them to see it or give way?? Give them a bit of credit. It had only been steaming in their direction for 5 miles or so.
And the yacht was coming from starboard, why did not the tanker give way?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:37:44 AM by chasbetts »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »
Hi Guys

I really think you two are not taking this thing seriously enough.   Surely the captain of the tanker and the pilot could have seen the yacht coming, with that lovely bright purple sail, and carried out an emergency stop or dropped anchor or something instead of hooking it around the spinnaker.   Personally I think ALL commercial shipping movements into and out of Southampton (and Portsmouth for that matter) should be stopped for the whole duration of Cowes Week.  What is a weeks worth of commerce to Southampton Docks when compared to the boundless fun of a week out racing on the water and contributing enormously to the coffers of the local hostelries in Cowes every night, when during this time we often give loads of practice to the local emergency services and RNLI etc. when we fall pissed of our boat into Cowes Harbour, or just ram the jetty with our rib....  Just weigh it up and you'll see the sense of it.

A. Yachttie

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »
Aren't they affectionately known as WAFI's down your way?

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
Indeed they are Bob, indeed they are!
And we all know what it stands for, don't we?

Offline Chris Hunsicker

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://hunsch1@tiscali.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »
For anyone who is interested got o Face book and watch the idiot.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUoUxzt9sI or
type in Yacht dismasted by supertanker off Cowes, Isle of Wight. Gald I do not have to do the laundry

Offline Chris Hunsicker

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://hunsch1@tiscali.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Just posted video of said collision.

BobS

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »
Chris:
Re the title of your posted video: at 'only' 72,245 gt and 123,581 dwt, HANNE KNUTSEN is not really a 'supertanker'! On the other hand, the skipper/helmsman of the yacht can justifiably be referred to as a 'superplonker'. . . . .mega, in fact.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:22:15 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
I trust everyone does not put all yachtsmen in this plonkers class.

There is no doubt the yacht is entirely in the wrong due to the 'Collision at Sea regulations section 5 & 18, the tanker is of 'restricted manoeuvrability'.

I think only for the grace of God there was not a fatality.

Mike

Section 5 'Lookout'

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and or the risk of collision.

Section 18 B

A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
(i) a vessel not under command.
(Ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre.
(Iii) a vessel engaged in fishing
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline spanner

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
I looked at the video on youtube and can be clearly heard is the sound of the horn from the tanker, my little understanding of the incident is any vessel under 20m has to give way to a larger vessel, as the tanker was fully laden and would take a long to stop plus it was in a deep water channel it couldn't go anywhere but staight.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
Its quite clear in the Notice To Mariners (no. 3 of 2011) ....
The Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003 (Byelaw No 11) enforces the requirement
that  all  vessels  over  150  metres  in  length  overall  when  navigating  within 

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:24:19 AM »
For Mike,
Granted, not all yacht sailors are idiots. I used to sail a lot until I joined the Army and discovered they don't have many yachts!
The situation in Southampton Water though is possibly unique to the area.
The Thorn Channel, which extends from just off the Isle of Wight to the Calshot Spit is the moving protected zone referred to by Chas. On most days, you will see hordes (and I mean literally hordes) of yachts making their way back to Hamble from the Solent. Quite a few do manage to keep just outside the restricted area when a ship is using the channel but you have to wonder at the mentality.
Hamble is on the east side of Southampton Water, yet the majority of returning yachts insist on using the west side of the channel. Given the prevailing wind is from the west or south west, they run the risk if being blown into the path of ships in the channel should anything go wrong.
The eastern side of the Water is big enough and deep enough for coasters, dredgers and chemical tankers to use when needed so should pose no problem to a shallow draught yacht. If anything went awry while navigating on that side, the worst that could happen is they could be blown onto the lee shore. No problem. The kids could get out and play in the sand!
I have witnessed a large yacht (can't remember the name now but it was an ocean going variety sponsored by a major financial institution and Hennesy) cross the path of an inbound, fast moving reefer twice in the space of a few minutes. The pilot had to resort to asking the patrol to arrest the idiot after the yacht had deliberately run right beneath his bow.
No sympathy for any of the local loonies here, I am afraid!
Kelvin

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
Hi Kelvin

Thanks for the explanation and information and I hope they throw the book at him, I would not sail with that idiot if they paid me.

If that incident happened on our local river the Tyne our local 'Port of Tyne Authority' have the power to ban him from ever using the river again.

Mike
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

BobS

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
It is high time that compulsory licensing (just like that for driving road vehicles and flying private aircraft) was introduced for anyone taking charge of a boat of any size in any waters that are navigable by commercial and military shipping. Just as with driving licences, accumulating penalty points, heavy fines, bans and total licence revocation should be available to the authorities in dealing those who transgress the rules. 

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
There is nothing stopping the Southampton Harbour Authority prosecuting through the Courts. Perhaps the lack of will. We shall see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk