Author Topic: Norway,the end  (Read 11301 times)

Offline Lucas Latreche

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://raflucgr.ra.funpic.de
Norway,the end
« on: December 08, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »
Hi To all of you
Do you remember,some days ago the site maritime matters said that the Norway sailed to an unknow destination.
I know this destination:
The norway is at Pintu Gedung(2h from Port Kelang).The ship would go in Shamgai to be scrapped.The society interests is Chinese breakers.Norway is a very big problem for Star cruises,and in China need various metals.

best regards
Lucas
For the person who read french:
www.meretmarine.com
www.revedefrance.com
8-) Mr Express Apollon

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Norway,the end
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 09:52:10 PM »
But wouldn't the new international rules regards toxics come into effect?  If that is the case then NCL and Star could be in a spot of Hot Water there.

Any way, what a crime that is, first of all the Canberra, then the Oriana and now the Norway.  Hopefuly some enturpener might jump in at the last moment.  I did read on various sources that there was a couple of asian intrests who where intrested in her at the right price.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:53:11 PM »
How reliable is this info?

As far as I'm aware, there has been no developments since my posting to the forum on Monday. I will check with my broking sources at work tomorrow, but I really can't see this being true. Chinese breakers are well out of the frame at the moment and are generally not in the running for scrap deals of this size.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Norway,the end .........(Not Yet)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 11:26:41 AM »
Just checked with my shipbroking colleagues who are very close to the demolition market. They are not aware of the NORWAY being sold at all, for scrap or otherwise.

As far as they are concerned, she remains for sale 'as is' Port Klang, which is what I mentioned in my posting on Monday.

Of course, this may not be correct and any anyone with  good information, not just speculation and hearsay, please update.

Cheers
Phil

Offline Lucas Latreche

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Norway,the end .........(Not Yet)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 06:32:44 PM »
Hi Phil

Yes,maybe what I said is wrong,it's just another rumours.I don't know.I read it on www.meretmarine.com
I hope that the Norway won't be scrapped.However I don't know why Star cruises keep this mystery about the future of the Norway.If she will resail I think that they would annouce it but they prefer keep the silence.The norway is not in a very good state,there is much abestos.There is a price to see the Norway resail.We just have many rumours,speculations.I think that we will know the truth soon.I hope.

best regards
Lucas

update please.
other informations are welcome.
8-) Mr Express Apollon

Offline Neil ( Bob ) Whitmore

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 01:18:22 AM »
Having worked on Oriana and knowing that she contained a lot of asbestos some of which could be seen round the fire doors at the entrance to the aft Drake Restaurant from the foyer aft of the restaurant it would seem that there is no control in China on this type of demolition now that Oriana is being demolished behind closed doors.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 08:58:29 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "behind closed doors". China has an excellent reputation in the shipbreaking industry and is regarded as one of the cleanest and safest places in the World to demolish ships. Any removal of hazardous material is undertaken with the utmost care and in accordance with international protocols.

Unfortunately, to ill-informed environmetalists, there is no such thing as safe shipbreaking, hence the bad publicity that this industry faces.

Phil

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 12:45:39 PM »
Latest news from demolition brokers this morning is that bids are apprently on the table and a deal is expected by end of December.

Just about everyone in the demo world is watching the Norway with great interest as she has the potential to be one of the biggest demolition sales in history (47,500 + LDT).

Phil

Offline Lucas Latreche

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »
Hi Phil

thanks to give us this new.We have here a bad new about the great Norway.It's sad.Where did you this information ?
Me I think that's the the truth but do you know where the Norway will be scrapped.In Shangai as I said or in India ?

Best regards
Lucas
8-) Mr Express Apollon

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 11:03:39 PM »
I belive there are rules/laws in india now about ships with toxics on them, I thought they had to be decontaminated first.

If that is the case, I doubt she would go to india.  Also I thought there was also international laws now about selling ships that were containing asbestos and the ships had to be striped of this first before they could be sent to the breakers?

What a shame, I have never seen this ship in person but there goes another piece of maritime history, first the canberra, then the oriana, now the Norway, how long before the owners of the Rotterdam/Rebrandt think about this option also?

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 09:01:30 AM »
Shipbreakera are perfectly capable of decontaminating ships. The industry gets a lot of bad publicity because of people like Greenpeace, etc., but it has cleaned up it's act a lot in the last few years.

As for where she will go, well, it is open bidding. That means that the highest bidder usually wins. Bangladesh breakers are paying the best prices at the moment, but generally prefer tankers and bulkers. Indians are second price-wise and take many cruise ships and ferries that Bangladesh doesn't want. Chinese scrappers are well below in the running and take very few ships these days. However, China is seen by many as the 'green' option and some companies prefer to send ships there, even though they will get less cash.

Phil

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 05:05:13 AM »
I thought I had read somewhere that the Indian Goverment will no longer allow the breakers to import ships contianing the contaminants, i think it might have been lloyds list.

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »
the end is near ...

take a look at
http://www.ssmaritime.com/
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline alain marc deluy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://wwW.LeGlaneur.info
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:57 AM »
Bonjour,

J'ai fait un r

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 09:36:23 AM »
What a crime, although I have never seen this ship in person and now this grand ship is going to the breakers.  Obviously this was a cunning move by NCL to transfer the Ship to parent company Star to get around the tight laws regards to toxics on ships destened for the breakers.

I just hope that somebody or organisation can find a way to prevent her from being beached or somebody to buy her from the breaker at the last minute but highly unlikely I reckon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk