Author Topic: What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com  (Read 29327 times)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Peter,

Blue Moon is a 60 metre superyacht, so has every right to be on shipspotting.com. However,I have yet to see a 60 metre rowing boat.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
Phil
I have not seen one, but I remember reading about the Phoenicians, Greeks, etc who had rowing boats over 60 meters ;D
Never say never! ::)
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »
I think you might be right Magogman, but I can say without a doubt that we will not be seeing any photos here from the ancient Greek era. For one thing, there is no category to post them to  ;D.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
but not as random photo of the day !!!!!!!!!!!! shown on the whole day
a yacht is a yacht  and a playmobile.
peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
but not as random photo of the day !!!!!!!!!!!! shown on the whole day
a yacht is a yacht  and a playmobile.
peter

That's the whole point Peter, it's randomly generated by the software. We can't pick and choose which photos are selected. I think it's a bit selfish to suggest removing the random photo feature just because you might not like the subject matter. On the other hand, my personal view is that the feature does not serve too much purpose, so I would not lose any sleep if it was discontinued.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
you got it that is the exact problem, we loses space for photos which someone upload at the moment.
Good night actually I'm in Hong Kong form my hotel I can overview the harbour a lot of space for tomorrow. Let us see what MSC and Maersk will send. 5 berthes are free and at the 6th there is a HOEGH Car carrier and uploades cars at a container terminal where are 6 cranes free
Peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
Peter, good job you won't be watching later, otherwise you might just spot a photo I will be uploading of a superyacht that I took today.  ;D

Brgds
Phil

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
Good morning Peter.

Well, no visions in this post.
Just want to call your attention to the fact, that Maersk
has already sent something to Hong Kong.
To be more specific exactly 39% of that Hoegh Autoliner you
saw last night (which equals the Maersk share of this
Norwegian/Danish outfit)  ;).

Niels
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:01:14 PM by spotti »

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Hello, now we have it: It is not here, as it used to be  ;D !!!

But now ? Do we want it to stay like this ? Or do we want it to change ?

If we want it to change, I think it is time to come up with IDEAS and then forward them to the technical guys, perhaps they can help us with something.

I have also been thinking, what I do miss here, and what stops me from keep in contact with more members.

I remember very well on the old site you were able to see all recently uploaded photos. I could for example in the evening see all photos which were uploaded during the day, and for example I know, a new ship comes to Hamburg, I check the photos taken that day, I might find some, takent here, and I can make a comment. Or photos from anywhere else.

Now, it is just boring, because some people seem to cheat with hits - always the same folks with their TOP RANK photos on first site ? Until they get bored by this themselfes too ?

So my wish would be, to get this feature of seeing recently uploaded photos again.

Anyone else ?  ;)

Greetings

Cornelia

Offline K. Watson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
I agree Cornelia. Why all these silly functions. The old site worked fine. If it AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Rgds,Ken

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
I agree Cornelia. Why all these silly functions. The old site worked fine. If it AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Rgds,Ken

The trouble is Ken, the old site didn't work fine. It was broke and needed fixing. That said, it doesn't mean that improvements shouldn't be made to the new version, but at least there is the capability to do that now, which with the old software, there wasn't

Brgds
Phil

Offline K. Watson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
My Dear Mr.English: What I was refering to was the 'User Friendliness" of the Old Site VS the New. I was not  interested in the 'Computer Geek's' analysis as I was responding to Cornelia's comment,and I await her reply. Thankyou nevertheless for your two cents worth. Regards,Ken ;D

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Well I'm hardly a "computer geek" Mr Watson, but the fact remains that without the switchover to a new software platform, the site would very probably not exist now. Some people may not like the new site, just as they may not like the latest TV, mobile phone, or ship design! Others do. I'm one of those that do, in fact, I find this version more user-friendly than the old version. But you are probably not really interested in that either  ;)

Offline K. Watson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
 To nobody in particular: One thing I have noticed about the site is the abruptness of certain administrators. This site was built by the membership,who deserve a degree of respect, it seems this has gone adrift since the changes were made. Technical changes are one thing to contend with,but high handedness to the point of rudeness  by some have been it seems, prevalent on here since the changes were made.It is not a surprise that many members have left,or reduced their inputs here since the sale of the site. Quite a shame to see such a wonderful community disband.Having spent years in the company of men in cramped quarters (vessels) one learns to regard others as one would wish to be regarded. Maybe this SHIP could be made to operate that way,or is this just wishful thinking on my part. Regards,Ken

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
You are quite right Ken, the members do deserve a degree of respect. But of course respect is a two-way thing. I always work on the pinciple of giving as good as I get. If people show me courtesy and respect, I will show the same. Sadly, the admin team and webmasters have all too often dealt with ignorance, abruptness and abuse from a small minority of members, but I am not going to dwell on that. There will always be disagreements with a membership as large as this but I have made some good friends here and I am grateful for that.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk