Author Topic: What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com  (Read 29324 times)

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »
When i joined this site, it was a small and tightly knit community.
As something grows, this may change, offcourse.

I would like to know what you woman and men of this site would like this place to be.

post quality, not quantity

Tomas

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
Hi Tomas,

I am only since a few years with this site. When I started here I too had that same feeling.
That is all gone for me. I don't feel that strong bond anymore. The way this site navigates is no fun for me anymore. This all does not affect me anymore since I started making video's.
I hope this feeling will come back in the near future. Sorry I don't have any further sugestions

Have fun
Fred

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »
Well said Fred. I am not a photographer but use the site for other purposes such as ship-spotting picture references and I too find getting around this site somewhat more difficult than it was before. I do look forward to your videos though. Rgds jw.. :) :)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
Hello, interesting start, to read the above. I must agree, to be honest.

In the first time, it was so, that members were making comments to eachother's photos. It was a kind of friendly atmosphere and it was not always the same people who communicate with same people.

I think, here now there are many "groups" who just communicate inside groups, but have a bit of a problem, to simply use the comment function more often and say "nice photo, hope you had a good trip" - etc., some little starter for a community-feel. It's always the same folks, with the same folks. It's easy to notice, and I personally find it a big pity.

Also I miss one feature very much: The new posted photos are not visible long enough on the first site, it's always these favourites, which are very nearly often same and do not represent really what most members do upload. This was better on the old site, I think.

Apart from that, I am very satisfied with the new site, can't complain.

Greetings from Basel,

Cornelia

Offline Gerda & Frederik Plets

• Sea Canal Brussels-Scheldt ship photos
  • Top Poster
  • Freger65
    • View Profile
    • Webshots/Freger65
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Hi All,

We can't better say than with Fred his words, we only add some more: [Fred thanks for using them ;)]

When we started here (26-09-2005) we too had that same feeling, nice community not to big, and a great group with the same hobby, all like ships & shipspotting and all around.
That is all gone for both of us. We don't feel that strong bond anymore, since many nice friends have left the site already.
The way this site navigates is no fun for me us anymore.
This is also the reaons why we stopped our photo uploading on 31/12/2010.
We're still a member but our visits are less often.

Best regards,
Freger65  ;)
Gerda & Frederik (Freger65)
All pictures photograped > Gerda │ Information and uploading photos > Frederik

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

The site has changed, true, but I cannot imagine that so many "old" members have changed in such a short term.

I think you do and have done a lot of good work for this site and for me you are Mr. Shipspotting.

Members who organize harbour trips are very welcome and the idea of these trips is now for the first time taking place at the other side of the big water.

That makes me come back to the site. When I logged into the old site, it was quiet easy to see what people had been doing that day and it was very easy to participate. The amount of clicks on the new photos for me seemed fair. Nowadays I feel "lost" on the site and the amount of clicks on new photos to me look somehow unfair.

Maybe I am to lazy to get to know the new site better, maybe I give it a new try when I have some more time. The unfair amount of clicks remains a problem.
I hope my English is not to crappy and understable for all.

Cheers Fred

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
Hi All,

This is an interesting thread for me as i believe this could give the site's higher powers a real insight into the true mood of the members.

I have to say that as a member since 2007, when i remember a site that had little to no "infighting", and which was a real homely place to be. That as Fred has mentioned above has changed. I don't really know why that would be the case but  feel that the site has gone down the road of being almost to flashy when in essence all people wanted/needed was a site that does the basics simply but well.

I myself don't see the need for co-orinates for example from your camera position to let others know where you took a photo, i find the description of where you took the photo more than enough for example! Likewise the facility to sort your album by popularity of photo or date is a great miss in my eyes and takes away the very purpose that this site was all about, posting a photo and seeing it grow in hits and stature.

I myself still post away when i can and that won't change as i feel sharing with others is an important way to see photos of shipping i will never see in Shetland, and likewise ships that don't venture outside of Shetland waters with others.

However this does not take away the problem of the coldness of this site at this moment in time...the answer to this?, i wish i knew, as this site is still a fantastic resource.

Perhaps it's a case of getting back to basics and not look towards over complicating things but as i said i don't know...

Cheers
Richard

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:03:25 PM by Richard Paton »

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
Interesting question Tomas and it will be good to see people's suggestions.

I too miss the 'atmosphere' that existed when I joined. But I suppose like many good things in life that is 'of the moment' and will change over time. I suppose it has to feel less personal because it is now so big and we can't all keep up with everything that is going on due to pressures of time.

But on the flip-side we must also appreciate that becoming bigger has allowed some positive changes to be made. Its all too easy to forget the times when it took forever to upload a picture, or indeed when it became impossible to do so for long periods at a time. That sort of thing I do not miss! And this was a regular problem which could have ended the site there and then.

So yes, things change. But with some helpful feedback to your question perhaps some more positive changes can be introduced.

As mentioned by Richard above, I also feel the inability on the new site to view one's own photographs in order of popularity etc. is a loss. It gave a good reference as to what was appreciated and what was not which acted as a good indicator in terms of what to photograph / how to photograph.

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:38 AM »
Vision?  The "vision thing" was once a major issue with a certain candidate for President of the U.S.  Who actually won the election.

I find that under the "new" shipspotting I spend very little time on the site and do not upload many photos although I have several hundred that I have not posted yet.  On the one hand it is a "time thing" and on the other hand I just do not have the urge to post photos or look at photos others have posted.  I also do not feel the sense of community and friendship at the level that previously existed - I have seen members treated in a very uncivilized manner that has no place on this site or any other.

I used to view every photo taken each day and took great pleasure downloading photos I liked, making comments on photos I liked, having a little fun with the several members I became good friends with and enjoying seeing new members post spectacular photos-- now I rarely check the site.  It is very easy to get lost or disoriented in trying to view all the day's photos.

I do not want to open a can of worms but some of the rules about posting are rather inane, at least to me.  That may be part of things as well but I do not want to get another war of words going here--I circulate those photos elsewhere which means there is less time and interest in posting here.

As for my vision, I am so damn busy and so damn tired that my only vision is to make it through the day.  I usually log on here when I am tired and want to relax and enjoy some decent ship photography (I am landlocked so do not have easy access to ships without traveling).  So my only vision is (1)to have a continuously unending stream of ship photos.

One thing I do appreciate is the freedom of speech so far enjoyed on this site although sometimes it has been taken advantage of, myself included.  It is nice not to be censored.  Freedom of speech includes the opportunity of making a complete fool of oneself and that is often painfully entertaining when it happens!

The old grouch Magogman has spoken.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:43:01 PM by Magogman »
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Fernley James Harris.

• Supporter
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
As a viewer of thi site since 2005 I and found it excellent in every facet.The quality of the subscribers such as Tomas for maritme photography and Fred for his video input, have given me great pleasure and so have the many other subscribers. The maritme information available on the site and general information have also been more than usefull.As a retired
Chief Engineer the site has given me an armchair view of the world I still miss.I wish to thank every body associated with the management and administration of the Ship Spotting site.I hope in the near future to submit photographs to the site, when my photographic skill
and ability improves.
              All the very best to all SHIPSPOTTERS.
                   Fernley James Harris.
......Motor Boat Owner [Hardy]

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
It,s to bad some of you " site oldsters" are getting a bit peeved with this fantastic site. I arise every morning & am so very greatful to be able to sit here & access this beautiful site, which is so freely given & has become part of my life. I am not a photographer but a 71 yr. man who spent sometime at sea & from a child right up to now, have always loved the sea & everything related to naval life. I,ve sailed tankers. cruise ships , bulkers, tugs & just about "the works" & would still be doing so but for age. Any oppurtunity i get i spend a lot of my time trying to access any means to communicate with the beautiful sealife & it,s ways , means & it,s people & have found "SHIPSPOTTING" to be a fantastic way to do this. For god sake if you are looking for perfection go & search elswere as there is no such thing in this life. To you administrators, i say from as deep as my heart will allow thank you so much for this site. I hate to start naming names, but fred vloo has for one made my life such a better one with his videos & a lot more of you people have brightened my life also. Keep positive & thanks so much.  "BOB".

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
What is YOUR vision for shipspotting.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »
Hello All

I am menber of Shipspotting since the year 2005, I used to post all my photos in this site, as well as, to maintain a very friendly dialogue with another friends in this site, however all this changed with the new standars and rules for photos, which of course I respect but I do not agree at all, therefore I downloaded all my photos in February 2010 and now I visit the site from time to time.

Kind Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »
My vision is,

you can view only photos on shipspoztting no copy, if you want to copy them you have to get permission.
If that will happen I will spot again my pictures. Actually I show only a very small number.
I like the meeting and the trips as STEVO  makes at the moment and my wishes are that there will be more in other europe harbours to see the best places and to meet my friends
I agree with Cornelia that the photo show on the other side was much better.
The site has changed it is less personally and the comments on the forum are much less.
Tomorrow I will be again in Hong Kong I hope I can spot another gigant.
Peter-Xylad
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:48:55 PM by Peter Schneckenburger »
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Ken Berg

• Newcomer
  • My Kayak and I are one with the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
 :) I have been surfing to this site over the last several years. I just uploaded some photographs for the first time yesterday. I live in Maryland very close to the Chesapeake Bay an the Delaware River and Bay. I was a Coast Station Radio Operator at RCA Chatham Radio WCC back in the early 80's. I enjoy seeing the ships transit the C and D Canal which I drive over on my way to and from work. I also like the International participation on this site to let folks contribute photos. I thank the Web Administrators for putting this site up.
Ken Berg

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »
.....and I forgot something:

cancel the topic: random photo of the day

today everytime I looked on shipspotting I saw the same photo of the yacht Blue Moon. In which direction is this site going will the next random photo of the day will be a rowing boat!!!!
we are shipspotters and interested in maretime things but a yacht as random photo of the day ?
Sorry Mac this is not your fault you are quite a good shipspotter
Peter- Xylad
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk