Author Topic: shiptrax release date  (Read 37537 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Re: shiptrax release date
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
Hmm!
8,000 ships in exchange for hundreds of pounds outlay, plus a monthly network fee?
Compare to Marine Traffic; as I write there are 30,357 vessels in range, shows ships in real time and costs nothing.
And of course, Ship Plotter costs nothing too, beyond the initial licence fee of 25 Euros.
It is going to be a hard sell.
Kelvin

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
Someone said the 8,000 records are coming from other AIS receivers that are feeding to another sharing network.  Not even Shiptrax users.

So you end up paying for data that's second-hand, "borrowed" from others.  I don't think there's a business case but lets see how good ShipTrax is.  It ought to be, its taken 3 years to get right.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »
Is there any more news about the Shiptrax release?

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »
Harry, there is a proper forum to discuss ShipTrax related issues at http://forum.airnavsystems.com

Please go to that forum to put your ShipTrax questions.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
I went there and it says pre-release before end of July?  Cant we ask questions here anymore?

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
Just curious Harry, why would you expect to ask questions on this Website when ShipTrax have their own Website and a Forum, surely that is the place for you to ask your questions.

I didnt start this message thread and no one stopped me or others posting questions about ShipTrax before.  Andre even replied to other questions and didnt tell me to to go away.  Wheres the Shiptrax website?

Theres also a big advert for Shiptrax on your Home page and Airnav owns the forum so I thought it was OK to carry one with the message thread.  I also thought the forum covered ship spotting as a hobby and wasn't only for photos.  The forum section is called "Shipspotters all over the world - Help and Advice. Sorry, I wont ask again.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »
Ken,
I realise I am getting on a bit and the rarefied air here in the Asir mountains may be dulling my senses but I seem to remember a declared aim/motive for the acquisition of this site was to augment the forthcoming release of ShipTrax. Ship Spotting.com is to be the source for photographs that form an integral part of ShipTrax.
Going back through the forum history, I think I can spot a possible selective editing process too. While looking for the original announcements, I see the forum jumps rather rapidly through 2009 with no mention of the original posts on the acquisition of the site. Where did they go?
Anyway, as the 2 sites are hind in hand, I think it is a bit disingenuous to castigate a member who asked a valid question.
Andre has made 8 replies in this thread without once mentioning that one should go elsewhere for information. The chance/right time to do this was when the thread first began.
I have followed the ShipTrax & AirNav forums for some time and I hope we are not going to go down the same route in terms of the rather severe moderation policies they have. (They ban members for criticisms)
Kelvin

Offline Christopher Gray

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
I went there and it says pre-release before end of July?

No, Airnav actually say:
"...... so if all goes Ok we will pre-release before July. If corrections are still needed we will wait a few more days."

As a current beta-tester, I suggest that it will be a few more days yet.

The best place to get information about the ShipTrax development and release is the ShipTrax forum at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0 where I'm sure the latest news about it will appear first.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
As I have told Harry, ask as many questions as you wish in the Forum but do not expect any answers from us, we simply do not have them.

Who is "us"?

I belong to many forums, from cars to DIY.  I always thought they worked on mutual self help and its not expected that moderators should have all the answers.

As Kelvin says, Andre was happy to answer questions but suddenly he now avoids them? Shiptrax is supposed to be for shipspotters and as the leading forum this seemed the right place to post the question.  Im not interested in aviation and the AirNav forum is 99% aircraft.

But Ive got the message.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk