Author Topic: shiptrax release date  (Read 37535 times)

Offline William Nunn

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
shiptrax release date
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
i read that this has not reached retail stores yet. any news on the eta for the package? this would make sense for me, a first time ship spotter with a portable laptop, so i can go for weekends to felixstowe.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: shiptrax release date
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
Looks like it's been delayed again until end-June:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=6069.msg64328#msg64328

Why doesn't AirNav update us first here?

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
I just found this diary of all the AirNav annnouncements about the Shiptrax release.  Makes interesting reading.  Makes me wonder if it will ever be released.  It's already 2 years behind schedule.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »
I just found this diary of all the AirNav annnouncements about the Shiptrax release.  Makes interesting reading.  Makes me wonder if it will ever be released.  It's already 2 years behind schedule.

It is worse than that Harry.
It is more than 3 years late.
If you follow the Shiptrax forum you will see the first announcement was in 2007. Then a proposed ship date was March 2008.
At first it was software only. Then it became software and hardware.
The price went from 500 Euros to 59 Euros.
The software has been variously 99% complete; 90% complete, pick any number% complete.
The stage has been reached where there seems little point in it.
I use MarineTraffic, even when I am sat on the beach at Calshot, getting data via a mobile phone internet connection.
Kelvin

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:25 AM »
First of all thanks for all your interest in ShipTrax.
We are totally aware of the HUGE delay in releasing this brand new AIS receiver which was developed thinking in ship enthusiasts (just like RadarBox is for aviation enthusiasts).

ShipTrax first units assembly date is scheduled for Jun 1st so it will be released just after the units are shipped to dealers / aprox in mid June.

It's a long wait: not only for you but also for all of us at AirNav Systems. We haev more than one hundred dealers waiting for it for doznes of months, receive weekly emails asking about the release date. But fortunately this is reaching an end.

The best of all is that Ship enthusiasts will finally have the tracking system they deserve with included log, network, real-time ship information, etc. The software looks amazing and the hardware has simultaneous ethernet, serial and USB output. During the tests it has received 125% to 150% more messages compared with the existing AIS receivers.

So just a few more weeks and it will be finally ready.

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11:51 AM »
Would like to hear from competitors what they have to say after ..."it has received 125% to 150% more messages compared with existing AIS receivers.
So, wake up Comar,Digital Yachts,Furuno, Nasa, Weatherdock,Smart Radio, AMEC and others.This must be something special!? Must be sensitivity better than -114dBm? ???

Offline Christopher Gray

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
My comparison of AIS messages received over a 30 minute period, showing 40% more messages received on ShipTrax compared to my Comar receiver.  Obviously not the most scientific of tests, but a reasonable comparison over a one hour period.

Offline Ken Anderson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kenandglen.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Looks good Chris.

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »
We've started today the last stage of the ShipTrax software development. We hope to release the system by mid June 2011. It is looking amazing and this has been a big challenge for AirNav Systems. I'm sure are ship enthusiasts will love it as aviation enthusiasts love RadarBox. We will share further news when we have them.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Hows Shiptrax doing?

It was mid June about 5 days ago.  Any news on the release date and price?

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:03 AM »
That's affirm we are still delayed with it this time because of software fine tuning. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to have the software totally finished. Cost will be similar to RadarBox. and will be announced on airnavsystems.com website.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:54:42 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Why is the software always "nearly finished"?  I've seen posts in other forums where you said the same thing in 2008?  Is it going to be that complicated?

Look forward to the release which I hope will be soon.

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
Hi Harry, that is a good question. If it would only depend on us it would have been released two years ago but unfortunately there are a lot of factors that we can't control.

Anyway the good thing is that:
- The hardware has impressive performance capturing a much higher number of messages than all the other receivers we have tried (sometimes 40% and 50% more) in exactly the same conditions;
- The software is very similar to AirNav RadaBox (for aviation) which has now thousands of happy users so a guaranteed success.

We appreciate all the patience of the users that have waited far too long but we're sure it will be a 100% success.

Offline Harry Sundance

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
OK thanks, I'll make a note to check back in two weeks time, around 8th July.

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »
As I write this message the last corrections on the software are being implemented. The hardware is finished.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk