Author Topic: Shipspotting at Portishead  (Read 10292 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Shipspotting at Portishead
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
Hi,

I will be working in the Bristol area in the near future and hope to grab a couple of hours and visit Portishead, can anyone tell me the best vantage point to photograph vessels to and from Avonmouth & Royal Portbury? Also, is there a website that lists the ship movements?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting at Portishead
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »
Not being from Bristol myself Bob, I have seen a lot of photos taken from Battery Point, Portishead of shipping in and out of Avonmouth & the Royal Portbury Docks also a link to ships arriving & departing here : http://www.bristolport.co.uk/shipping-information/ hope the info helps you and good shipspotting.

Regards
Ian Thomas

Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

Offline Peter Christian Olsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
Evening Bob , I don't know if anyone has been in touch with you yet but as regards location you need to head for Battery Point , a recreational area down at the water-line , I wouldn't call it a beach ! As regards shipping information ; www.bristolport.co.uk , and just follow the prompts . Regards Peter

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
Thanks guys, Battery Point it is then  :)

Regards

Bob

ps. thanks also for the link.

Offline john mccorquodale

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bristolport.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »
Bob

If I'm not too late......
On the Bristol Port Company website in the Forward Movements section there is a column A-PO, this is the arriving ship pilot order time. Ships generally take 1.5 to 2 hours to get from the pilot station (at Breaksea) to Battery Point. If you look also in the In-Dock section then again look for PO Time, a ship will take between 35 mins to an hour to leave from the lock into the estuary.
Whilst Battery Point is a good viewing spot, I prefer the Royal Inn (Pier Road, Portishead) which overlooks both Avonmouth and Portbury. Beer and food are very good :-)

John (Deputy Haven Master)
Deputy Haven Master, Avonmouth & Royal Portbury

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
Thanks John,

I was in the area on Tuesday, weather was misty & damp (and nothing showing on "forward movements" for the 5th) so I opted to have a look round Bristol Docks instead and visited the SS Great Britain.
Pity I didn't know of the Royal Inn, might have been a better option  :) :) :)

Regards

Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk