Author Topic: OLIVA Aground off Remotest inhabited Island..!!  (Read 16447 times)

Offline Bruce Salt

• MR
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
OLIVA Aground off Remotest inhabited Island..!!
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
The Maltese registered OLIVA 9HA2075  IMO 9413705 ran aground off Spinners Point, Nightengale Island off the world's remotest inhabited Island (on the belt of the roaring Forties), Tristan Da Cunha March 16th 2011 while bound from Santos to Singapore with Soya Beans.
The salvage tug SMIT AMANDALA will depart Cape Town today for the casuality.  The supply ship EDINBURUGH is standing by the OLIVA to evacuate the 22 crew as the weather deteriorates.

See photo of the OLIVA taken on the 12th March 2011 in the port of Santos by Rafael.

Regards
Bruce

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: OLIVA Aground off Remotest inhabited Island..!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »
if anyone can get her off those rocks, its Smit, but a FULLY LADEN vessel, that close to the rocky shore, in bad weather?

needless to say, im pretty sure this is the swan song of the Olivia.

the sad thing is the Master and whatever officer was on watch will have to deal with TONS of questioning, and probably STILL lose their jobs. and if any bunkers spill, theyll probably have to pay a fine and maybe go to jail. so unfortunate.

Offline Sea Piper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
Does anyone know what happened yet? Did she lose power? Wrong chart datum on the GPS perhaps? I know these things will always happen, but it makes me wonder, with all the available technology, how does a vessel touch land?
Hopefully, the salvage crews can remove her before too much damage to ship and environment.
Cheers All

Willy1949

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
Latest news from Tristan Da Cunha Web Site (Pics of grounded v/l at http://www.tristandc.com/newsmsoliva.php)
--------------------------------------------------------
Report from Administrator Sean Burns 09.00 Friday 18th March

MS Olivia broke up overnight : Grave Environmental concerns

MS Oliva broke her back in the force of a relentless swell and the wreck of the ship's superstructure is now breaking up. Flows of oil are all around Nightingale's coast. The onshore Tristan Conservation Team of Simon Glass, Wayne Swain and Matthew Green are busy assessing damage to Nightingale's seabirds. This late summer season is crucial as all adults are flying daily from their nests to catch fish, squid etc to feed their rapidly maturing chicks. The island has no land mammals and is regarded as one of the world's most important wildlife habitats. The World Heritage Sites of Inaccessible and Gough Island may also be at risk from oil pollution.

Assessment Team

MV Edinburgh will this morning take on board an emergency assessment team which will travel to Nightingale to assess the situation for themselves. We expect a report and photographs later today. The team will be led by Administrator Sean Burns with Chief islander Ian Lavarello and include Fisheries Officer James Glass, Search and Rescue Police Inspector Conrad Glass, Conservation Officer Trevor Glass.

Salvage Tug's long journey

Meanwhile the salvage tug John Ross left Cape Town on 17th March with a salvage team, a naval architect, divers and an environmental advisor and equipment to treat oiled birds aboard. The ship is not likely to arrive until Monday 21st Mar.

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
as i said yesterday, whether or not he was on watch at the time, and whether or not it was his fault directly, i feel horrible for the Master. hes probably undergoing rigorous questioning as we speak, and its only gonna get worse as the situation gets worse.

i hope he escapes with the skin of his teeth and the clothes on his back.

kyle

Offline Calant

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
Sorry my friends,
I can't feel nor say, that I am sorry for the Master, nor the officer on duty!
How in the world can you drive a nearly new and fully loaded bulker on the rocks
at the ONLY island in that big wide open south atlantic ocean??

I have passed Tristan various times from Capetown on my way to Chile to load fruit
via the Str of Magellan. How can a prudent captain NOT be on the bridge for about ONE
hour, during the day/night, when the ship is getting close to that remote island?
ONE hour on that bridge, that's all.
Don't you have a navigating officer? Don't you have a lookout? Can't you SEE the damn
island? Even if your radar(s)fail(??)You can still SEE land without your satnav, what
about the old sextant? Take a bearing on your compass, DO SOMETHING.

Greetz, Capt.Bill Waldmeier

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »
good day all

I agree with Bill
I visited in 2001 Tristan, and if you do something like that, then you are PRESENT on the bridge otherwise take wide berth. I visited Pitcarin Islands in 2006, and believe me I was on the bridge 40 nm before it was close to us. If they ran aground on an island like that, then bluntly said they are a bunch of stupib a.....s !!! who beloomng their licenses revoked
forever. Those are the guys why every Island in the world put a 20 nm no go zone around them because they just are to stupid to be on a bridge in the first place !!!
in other words JACKASSES !!!

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
Cpt Bill:

i agree, even without all the facts, its apparent that a lack of prudent seamanship is a major contributing factor here, and that cant be ignored.

i feel bad for the Master because its obvious that he is either a complacent individual BY NATURE, or it has developed through MANY YEARS of sailing by that island and many more like it, and never having to think twice about it. and i ALSO feel bad because that complacent behavior now has him in trouble with not only his employer and perhaps the shipowner, but most likely with the government of the islands as well.

i can feel bad for his unfortunate circumstance, even though i think he deserves to be there.

Cpt Ted:

you always tell it just like it is, haha.

kyle

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:56:34 AM »
 what is the word on the tug from smit salvage???? or did they back out once she broke her back?
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:15 AM »
The tug is still on her way to the island and has an environmental expert and bird cleaning supplies on board. It does appear that this is now become a wreck removal operation but protecting the marine environment in the area remains a priority.

Offline Edward Ticu

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
It is Filipino seamen professionalism.
Mobilis in Mobile

Offline Calant

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
@ Edward Ticu

Quote: It is Filipino seamen professionalism unquote...

May I mention that there were 1 Greek and 21 Filipino crew on board?
Now GUESS the nationality of the Master.....

He must have been too tired, after such a long voyage from Santos over an empty south
atlantic ocean.

I rest my case.

Greetz, Capt. Bill

Offline Edward Ticu

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
The master has no excuse, but I think that the incident occurred at 0700 and this is not the master watch. So the helmsman and the officer responsible for navigation were Filipinos. The master has no excuse for the other officers had to supervise their nationality especially.
Mobilis in Mobile

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »
Understand casualty was at 0430 local (0700 was when first news report received at Tristan da Cunha).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk