Author Topic: COPYRIGHT  (Read 40286 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: COPYRIGHT
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
I agree with Bob, If it is not taken by oneself, and  if one does not have permission from the person who took the picture or the owner otherwise (possible years taken back and now found in the "treasure chest" might e the only exception,), don,t post it.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Surely this doesn't matter all that much if the image is 'out of copywrite' or someone gives you permission to use their photographs privately and to post and is a private agreement between two people. Do you have to tell the webmaster this has been done?

Offline Derek Lilley

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »
Hi EJFH272,

If you post pictures that have been taken by someone else,but have their permission to do

so,would you please acknowledge the fact in the description box.

This precludes the admin having to query the copyright.It also gives credit to the photographer.

It is as I stated in the opening post on this discussion.

Kind regards
Derek

Offline H.J. de Winde

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
What's the problem? If a photograph is not your own and you have not been granted permission to post it; if it has been scanned from a postcard or paper publication; if it has been taken from the internet: - DON'T POST IT!
Without any watermarks on the pic your point is useless

In my opinion mr Liashenko is not one of us!

Offline owen connolly

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
[
Without any watermarks on the pic your point is useless
[/quote]

If somebody leaves their car keys in the ignition of their car and you take the car without permission you have stolen the car.

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 03:09:45 AM »
In  the same vesseltracker.com there is a photo of mine from this website but my Watermark is still there. My best ones are usually rather easy to notice.
It is an aerial of the MSC Jordan sailing in ice.
I do not think I ever gave authorization for that post under somebody's else ID.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 05:12:37 AM »
I am rather puzzled now by this thread.
I agree with pretty much everything said here re copyright, yet I notice that my recent post alerting members to the unauthorised use of their photographs on another site that appears to be run by a member here has gone unnoticed:
http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,9003.0.html

There are photos from many members posted on the site to which I refer and nobody seems to be bothered.
These are posted in contravention of this site's Terms & Conditions:
http://www.shipspotting.com/about/terms.php
But nobody seems concerned. We can't complain about copyright infringement on the one hand, yet ignore a blatant series of infringements by a member on the other.

Kelvin

Offline Boato Giuseppe

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://libero.it
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »
may somebody answer about the legal prohibition to take photos in italian ports and also in many other countries?

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
If you are talking about photos inside a port this is probably the case, for example Lyttelton NZ.

But I cannot believe you cannot take photos from a public vantage point for example a park, or a road, beach etc in Italy or anywhere else with the possible exception of countries like Somalia,Syria,Iran for example.

It is the norm for all photogrpahy to be banned in most ports from what I have seen and heard.
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
Hi,

Ports with international connections are normally very restricted areas. Shooting photos in/from a public place is allowed in (at least) all western countries.

Regards,
Henrik

Ron

COPYRIGHT
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
When I'm surfing the net I often find my pictures used by other websites than Shipspotting.This withhout even asking permission! Is there really no way too prevent this from happening? For example making sure that visitors on Shipspotting are notified of the copyright rules. Or using smaller postcard size pictures instead of large ones?

Best Regards Ron

Offline H.J. de Winde

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
I really don't understand those people. Is it so difficult to ask permission? 1 too 100 may say No. So what's the problem then?  Be human, just ask!

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Offcourse it's not nice to find your photo elsewhere !!
I am always anser mostly yes if they want to use one of my picture.
But i want to say thank  for the people how did ask me for the use of ne of my photograph.
Lately recieve two books with my pics.

Best Regards,

Admin for Containerships

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
As Derek says, this is a "sharing" site where we put our photos on this site because we are prepared to share them. If we limit the image size or deface them with watermarks the whole objective of this site is lost and it is the members who will lose out in the end.

For most of us this is a hobby so while it may be annoying to some, there is no financial loss to us personally. I have had several requests to use some of my photos and I have also received copies of some of the books where I have given permission which I consider a bonus.

I have also found where my photos have been used without permission but acknowledgement has been given. Some members regard the use of their photos as a compliment and this is a fact of life with the internet, where the whole issue of downloading has affected both the film and music industry to a much greater degree.

There is one way to stop it, don't post your photos, but that would be a pity and would mean that 99% of members would miss out on looking at some great photos and taking away the opportunity of adding them to their collections.

Regards
Tony
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:26:26 AM by Tony des Landes »

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 03:37:13 AM »
There's is always the possibility of releasing all your photographs under suitable free licence, such as Creative Commons. Could you do it on this website e.g. by posting the information ("This photograph is released...") in the description?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk