Author Topic: Calling all Ocean Liner fans!  (Read 23414 times)

Offline cdag

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Calling all Ocean Liner fans!
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
To all fellow modelers who show interest to  this post, your thoughts is greatly appreciated. please forgive me if This topic has   been discussed before. I have to say I

Offline EHarland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Ocean Liner fans!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
Hello CaptDog!

As I am absolutely crazed for Ocean Liners and having some transatlantic crossings on my

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
How about the old classic Funchal...now I would buy that one...
Blistering barnacles...

Offline sydney heads

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:13:37 AM »
Yes indeedy!

Agree with all those above, and I would really throw Saga Ruby, Saga Rose, and Canberra
into the mix. Beautiful lines on those ships!
And for something different that nobody has really mentioned on this topic, what about the P&O ships, eg, Himalaya and Arcadia.

Lets keep this going folks!

Offline Pietro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
Hello CaptDag,

Have you never heard of scratchbuilding? You just get authentic plans, lots of photos(preferrably colour) for reference, a good how do book and go. Museum pieces don't come out of a box.
But seriously, waiting for a company to produce a kit based on sales is a little like Alexander Selkirk awaiting a rescue...could be a log, long, time.

Offline Nick Karampakakis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Hello there!

This is indeed a really nice topic. I guess the manufacturers, mostly, go for the more publicly known ocean liners, such as RMS Titanic, RMS QM2, RMS QE2, etc... Even though those are remarkable choises, they've become somewhat... common. I, myself, have made a 1/350 model of the QM2, and the detail is really good, but I'd really prefer I had more choises.
My list would be:
SS United States
RMS Queen Mary
SS Normandie
SS Canberra
and off course SS France/Norway.
There are definatelly a lot more....

Regards, Nick!

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:07 AM »
I'd like to see (apart from "modern" liners like Michelangelo/Raffaello/Oriana) more ships from the first quarter of the last century. White Star Line's "Big Four", Deutschland (1900), Kaiser Wilhelm II (1903), Empress of Ireland (1906), Mauretania (1907), Imperator (1913), Vaterland (1914), Aquitania (1914) and Arundel Castle (1921) and Windsor Castle (1922), the latter two with four funnels of course! Come to think of it, are there any Union-Castle liners on sale? Think I never saw one...

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »
Plastic model kits are out of date in this internet / digital age. In the 60/70th, I remember kits like Queen Mary (1), Queen Elisabeth (1), Canberra, France, a French ferry, etc. Most om them 20 to 40 cm long. Brands like Revell and Aurora. Later the famous Finnjet ferry, a Ben-Line-cargoship, a C3-cargo, a T2-tanker. In my youth every boy was busy with plastic kits (cars, planes, warships, etc). What is the youth doing to day? Facebooking and internet.
Recently I was lucky to find a new kit of the Finnjet, 40 cm long, on a local version of E-bay. Here in Holland only the QM2 is for sale now, some 50 cm long. And indeed the Titanic in several scales. And the ferry Color Magic and the cruiseship Aida-something. That is it!
Therefore I started building ferries and ro/ro-cargo's in wood and paper now from scratch: a nice paste time in the dark winter evening hours!
The number of people that are interested in plastic kits and buy them, is simply to small to afford releasing a new kit. Alas, those days are over!

Offline Chip Shiplington

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
I am also a keen fan of Ocean Liners and enjoy all of the suggestions in this thread. Also, I disagree with Pieter Inpyn that the heyday of models is at an end. I think there are still plenty of us enthusiasts left!

Offline Declan Scooner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
Ahoy Mateys!

It's great to see that others are still modeling. Chip, I agree, I think the digital age will bring ship modeling into a golden age, where sellers can reach a wider market and fans can access more kits and meet fellow ship-lovers on wonderful sites such as this. We should be utilising Facebook in order to show the youth of today what fun they could be having!

I have to say, I think my favourite ocean liner has to be M.S. Kungsholm. My wife and I began building our model together whilst on holiday in February and it has been brilliant fun. Can anyone suggest what we should make next? She has a preference for historic European ships, whereas I prefer the more modern ocean liners. Do you have any suggestions for a nice ship that we could both enjoy?

Best,
Declan  ;D

Offline Pietro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 03:55:04 AM »
Yes, the topic of ocean liners has always been of interest to me. I have built models of the Andrea Doria and Conte Di Savoia, both in 1:200 scale. (I am Italian) Ocean liners are the most elegant things mankind has put upon the sea and I would not like it if even their memory was wiped out

Offline Ionized

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
I would definetely lke to build the model of Mauretania (the first one). Because of its historic significance and of course the fact that it was the Blue Ribbon holder for so many years.

vencelylalas

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
How about the old classic Funchal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk