Author Topic: Shipspotting in Singapore  (Read 12753 times)

Offline Max89

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Shipspotting in Singapore
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
Hey shipspotters,
Overnext week I will visit Singapore for sightseeing. If weather allows, I will spend one day or more for shipspotting, of course.
I talked to some friends, they told me to stay on Kusu Island to spott vessels heading for and coming from the Malacca Strait and to see the portentrance. Furthermore my plan includes to visit Sentosa via boat.
Does anybody have some more ideas where to go and to stay for shipspotting, some special places or harbour cruises and so on ?! What about private chartering of a watertaxi to cross the roads ?!
I'm grateful for every suggestion of you !

So the ball's in your court now ;-)
Thank you in advance
regards Max

Offline Bodolinsky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »
Hi Max!
The newly renovated Shangrila Sentosa Resort Hotel is a shipspotters heaven. Take a room with panorama view on a high floor. I'll be there again end of February.

There are no real shipspotting harbour cruises available in Singapore - at last, I didn't find any. I went to Marina South Pier - a map is included. If you look around there in the Terminal building maybe you find a skipper who is interested to show you the keppel port. I payed 60 Singapore-Dollars for a one hour trip through the keppel port - the boat was lousy, the view excellent. If you look for my fotos at Shipspotting (from Bodolinsky), all the pictures taken in Singapore I made on this trip last year.

Have a nice time and good luck.

Bodo
Bodolinsky

Offline rondavies

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
Hi there

Have been a regular visitor to Singapore for shipwatching for since 1993 and there is one hotel venue where you are really able to see a lot. Depends on whether you mainly want to take pics..for which can recommend Kusu Island ... the three shelters at the sea end are a superb location with all passing traffic photo accessible with a decent telephoto lens. Make sure not to miss the last ferry back which normally around 1600 . You will very likely find other shipwatchers there... we regularly meet old friends there and make new ones, particularly from UK, Germany, and Aus.

If spotting is most important then can really recommend the M Hotel in Anson Road, Tanjong Pagar. Get a sea view room and you'll be busy from dawn to dusk. It overlooks the entrance channel to Brani container terminal and pilot boarding ground A & B. Use AIS and from the upper floors (they go to 28 but highest ones over 23 are more expensive club rooms) you can see to the eastern horizon and observe the vessels coming and going into the anchorages as far away as Changi and even off Pasir Gudang. From the lift lobby on the 28th which you'd have to walk up to from 23rd unless a club level guest, you can see large vessels such as VLCCs appearing over the horizon from the east about 25 miles away. For viewing the Western side anchorages , Sinki Fairway berths, Pulau Bukom and other refineries, plus the Jurong container berths, visit Mount Faber viewpoint... best done early in the day or evening so as to minimise heat haze. You can get distant views from there of the Western side of the strait over to Karimun Island, a reasonable but not wonderful view of the LNG and other anchorages at Sultan Shoal, the oil transhipment area in Malaysian waters off Tanjong Pelepas beyond Tuas...though with a lot of clutter and foreground obstructions. There is also a very cluttered distant view to the right of the Jurong and Tuas shipyards  where some large vessels can be picked out. To view Sembawang Shipyard go to Sembawang Park on the North of the Island..where you can get a reasonable view of the vessels on the outer berths, and the Pasir Gudang shipyard in the other direction. This is next to military installations so suggest be quick and not pay obvious attention to the military installations as you will be spotted and have to explain yourself... as several I know have had to do. In fact it is illegal to take pics of military items there so steer clear of that.

The area at the West end around Tuas and Jurong is very sensitive and patrolled regularly by the police, usually Ghurka ex soldiers in landrovers. They are armed and will always stop to see what you are doing , and as long as you are not looking at or photographing military installations, they seem quite ok. That area is very big and you need to use a car to drive around. We always get a feeling of discomfort there as though we are misbehaving in some way, but there is a lot to see.

There is no better place to shipwatch than Singapore. If you don't mind the heat it is fine...and the food is just amazing there. Recommend visit Lau Pa Sat hawker centre for cheap and decent food and beer.  A further point about the M Hotel... they are used to shipspotters and understand what you are doing. The duty managers there have been there for many years and although not quite understanding why we do it...they do accept it and let you enjoy the views and make you most welcome.   There is a bus stop opposite M Hotel whence buses go direct to the Marina Bay ferry terminal for Kusu.

The M is a 4 star hotel , so will not come cheap...but the full day in airconditioned comfort from high up is an advantage to make the cost worthwhile to our group anyway. If you stay in cheap hotels you cannot observe from dawn to dusk as you have no view. Kusu is good but low down and unless you visit in the Festival season which is a few weeks from Oct into Nov each year, you cannot go before 1000 and have to leave by 1600.  So far, without going to 5 star and even more expensive high rise hotels, we have found the M is virtually an ideal spotters venue. Another feature to bear in mind is that a good number of vessels arrive from the East, bunker either inside or outside port limits, and sail away East again...never getting closer that about 8 miles from Kusu and too far over the horizon to see. This particularly happens with capesize bulkers.

Hope all this helps... good luck

Ron 

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:18 AM »
I have been to Kusu Island - as recommended when I asked the same question two yearas ago on this forum. It was a superb location. But the heat can be intense - be prepared.
I was there in May and I reommend air conditioning most highly. I did not stay in any of the hotels mentioned (I was at a conference and had no hotel choice) I agree that if you can see ships with having to venture outdoors for extended periods - do it!
Yes you will need a good telephoto lens. My 80- 200 zoom was good for most.

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
Max,

Singapore is great just a few things to remember:

1. Photographing installations isn't allowed, therefore if you are photographing ships alongside you have to be careful (especially tankers).

2. Photographing anything military will likely result in your camera being confiscated or if you are lucky the memory card being seized.

3. There is a harbour cruise that leaves from Marina South that sometimes goes around a bit of the anchorage before it gets to Kusu Island - again re-iterate what others have said that it is a great vantage point but don't forget to take water and a good hat - there are shelters on the island but unless you are there during the festival not much else!

4. One or two of the launch operators at Marina South will take photographers around the anchorage (you need to have your passport with you as you go through Customs) you will need to ask each one - it can be quite expensive if you ae by yourself (around $100/hr).

5. You can walk along the East Coast Beaches and get shots of the smaller vessels anchored closer to shore but unfortunately these tend to block out the bigger ships further out.

6. The cable car between Sentosa Island and Mount Faber passes directly over the Singapore Cruise Terminal (at the moment they are building a new cruise centre at Marina Bay South). Great birds-eye views of any passenger vessels.

7. Last visit I found myself at McDonalds at West Coast Park and discovered that if I walked through the park I was close enough to photograph container ships entering Pasir Panjang (not a lot of movements but interesting none the less).

Richard.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:11:35 AM by Richard Matterson »

Offline Max89

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
Good evening friends,

thank you so much for your detailed information !
If weather is my friend I'll try to enjoy the maritime Singapore as much as I can. Kusu and the real possiblity to charter a boat let me become quite happy.
I will see what is possible for me to do there, hopefully a lot of ;-)

All the best regards
Max

PS: Keep on postin' ;-)

Offline rondavies

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Good luck with it...

When you go to Kusu...remember the advice from everyone on here and take a hat and plenty of liquid and enough food for the day...you will dehydrate quickly otherwise. There are reasonable toilets on the island. You may find the wildlife out there rather interesting, especially the lizards which live in the big bush at the end of the area where the shelters are... They are monitor lizards and the adults are about 2 metres long, but they are not interested in humans...so far!! If you like birds, there are many exotic ones out there ..bee-eaters, kingfishers, various egrets & herons, sea eagles, magpie robins, and flame back woodpeckers.. they are all around there and are not so shy as we are used to. If you are tempted to swim in the lagoon, then beware of jellyish... one of my friends had to go to hospital as he was badly stung. There are mudhoppers on the lagoon beach. It is quite idyllic if you like sun, ships and nature!  If you find a blue flag with VLCC written on it.. please let me know as it's owner (from Germany) has lost it there and would early like it back.

Enjoy...

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
Evening

I will be in Singapore week 8-16 September and plan to hire one of the charter boats so welcome anyone who may be interested in sharing. I hope to get two outings, there is one boat operator who who works with ship photographers and will do up to 6 hours, it's an ever-changing scene there and looking forward to plenty of action. Am flexible with the days so if interested pls "PM" me.

Cheers

Brent

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk