Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2 what will happen?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Queen Elizabeth 2 what will happen?
« on: December 01, 2005, 06:16:13 PM »
As Carnival normally have two ships in Cunard colours (QM2 and QE2 at present) what will happen to QE2 once Queen Victoria has been built and delivered in 2008? :lol:  :-)
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 what will happen?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:04:34 AM »
This is only my speculation, absolutely no knowledge of Carnival/Cunard's plans, but I expect a sale to a "qualified" buyer.  By qualified, I mean an operator meeting certain financial strength criteria.  Given the respect for QE II in Britain and around the world, I doubt she would be simply sold to the highest bidder without some conditions regarding her future use.  Another possibility would be service as a permanent floating hotel somewhere...  It's a good question. I still recall my first live sight of her, steaming up the Hudson River in the mid 1970's.  A beautiful ship.
Best,

Charles

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 06:12:04 AM »
When I read the plans for the construction of the QV in the media it was pointed out by both Cunard and Carnival that the QE2 will not be sold or sent to the scrap yard.  She is scheduled to lay up in 2010 for a major refit to comply with internation regulation in regards to some materials in her fit out and fire saftey.  Upon completion of this she would continue to do her annual world cruise but leaving in November instead of Januaryand  would be posibly based in singapore for the southern summer and somewhere in northern europe/us for the northern summer.

But plans can always change.  I will see if I can dig up that original piece of news and post it over the weekend.  It also touched on a posible 4 vessel for the cunard brand, with this vessel been aimed at the growing market for eco tourisim, so a vessel catering for smaller groups and a lot shallower draught.

Offline jock

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://aviationandmaritimeimages.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
Its now 36 years since QE2 made her maiden voyage so she's becoming a bit of an old lady and she has comfortably lasted longer than QE or QM.
Does anyone know how long Cunard currently see her continuing in service?
Any contributions both Naval and civil are welcomed for my site http://aviationandmaritimeimages.smugmug.com/

All contributions are credited to the photographer

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 08:36:50 AM »
As I said she has to under go a big refurbishment in 2010 at the latest as she has a lot of timber frame work in here and that is not allowed after 2010.  

It was in Lloyds List I read that once the Queen Victoria was complete and in service the QE2 would lay up for 12-18 months to under go this refurbishment.  I beliver also she would have to under go this refurbishment even is she was to be retired as a Floating Hotel which would be a waste.  I did see something a while back saying that after her last survey they couldn't see what she cold not serve for at least 50 years as her hull structure is still in pretty good state for a ship her age.

Hopefuly we will see her cruising on for at least another 36 years.  After all, look a the Dulos and Funchal they are older and are still going strong!!

Offline Lucas Latreche

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://raflucgr.ra.funpic.de
Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 what will happen?(and norway)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 11:06:43 AM »
Hi from Lyon

I can confirm what Glenn said.The ship will stay in service in the 2010 at the latest,the ship
will be cruise during 41 years.It's impressionant.The ship is always in a very good state,after I hope that we won't have an story as the norway who was apercieve sailing to an
unknow destination,maybe the scrappyard(I think).It's sad for this great ship to finish so.

best regards
Lucas
8-) Mr Express Apollon

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 03:32:04 PM »
Thanks Glenn for info.  Interesting to know QE2could be cruising after 2010. (Hope you manage to see Queen Mary 2 in 2007.)

regards Glencairn :lol:  :lol:
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline kb23060

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 09:23:46 AM »
I think that many options are still possible. The company  cannot say anything "wrong" before there is a change on the throne. I am sure QE2 will wait and when "IT" happens -  then a new policy might be launched. Let's hope that a positive one.

Regards
kb23060

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
I read some thing recently regard the QE2 and that she has plenty of life left in her yet.  At a recent dry docking her hull was inspected and condition was tested and her hull had really hardly aged.  

Although there is nothing been proposed yet for the QE2 she will continue to sail in the meantime and the posiblity of her sailing beyond 50 years is a distinct posibility although Cunard and Carnival have not looked at it yet it is in the back of their minds that they will have to start thinking about her retirement in the coming years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk