Author Topic: SS American Racer & American Reliance headed for Brownsville, Tx  (Read 23069 times)

Offline William C. Daugherty

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Does anyone know whether the SS American Racer, IMO: 6414069, Callsign: KNDF and/or the American Reliance have reached Brownsville, tx for scrapping? They left the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet in the San Francisco bay in Early December. They were supposed to be headed to esco marine for scrapping. The American Racer was being towed by the tug Thomas Dann.

I checked the Brownsville Hearld, and the Port of Brownsville, the latter's website only lists arrivals from the 7th to the 11th, and there's nothing there.

If no one knows, does anybody know how I could find out? I'm not confident calling Esco Marine would be the best idea.

For more background info:

http://amveruscg.blogspot.com/2010/12/final-voyage-of-ss-american-racer.html

http://www.myspace.com/ssamericanracer

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=11923

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daver6/sets/72157625518319728/with/5250925438/
William C. Daugherty

Offline William C. Daugherty

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: SS American Racer & American Reliance headed for Brownsville, Tx
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:36 AM »
I just got off the phone with Dann Ocean Towing, and whoever answered said the Tug & the American Racer hadn't gotten there yet, but since it's new year's eve, and the port of Brownsville still doesn't have any arrivals listed beyond the 11th of December, I'm still wondering how I can find out when she arrives, not weeks later.

And, if anybody has any other info related to the ship, please, feel free.
William C. Daugherty

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
AMERICAN RELIANCE just reached the Panama Canal Zone this morning and currently in a 'holding pattern' until cleared to transit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:06:51 PM by dmwnc1 »

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
As of right now (9:15am EST January 5, 2011) both the AMERICAN RACER *AND* the AMERICAN RELIANCE are now in a holding pattern off of the Panama Canal Zone (Pacific side) awaiting clearance for transit.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
Hi,
this is the present positon:

http://i51.tinypic.com/30lctc3.jpg

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
THANKS! I have been monitoring both ships positions all morning and see that THOMAS DANN with AMERICAN RACER in tow is now inbound towards the Bridge of the Americas. ALEXANDRA is still off doing circles.

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
Screenshot 1:15pm EST Jan 5 2010
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:25:15 PM by dmwnc1 »

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
Photo set of the SS American Racer as she was towed into the Miraflores Locks at the Panama Canal this morning January 7, 2011

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005168

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
UPDATED the above link with more webcam grabs as the AMERICAN RACER completes her Panama Canal transit through the Gatun Locks today Jan 8 2010, a full day after she entered the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side.

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »
P.S. The tug Alexandra with the AMERICAN RELIANCE in tow is still doing loops and laps outside of the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal, FIVE days after arriving!!!

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
Today January 10, 2010 the Tug ALEXANDRA with the AMERICAN RELIANCE in tow is finally heading inbound to the Bridge of the Americas and should pass under approx 10:25am. She arrived at the Panama Canal Zone on the morning of January 3rd as has since been doing zig zags, circles, and giant loops awaiting her turn.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:38:46 PM by dmwnc1 »

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:38:36 PM »
ALEXANDRA is now pierside across from Balboa. This seems to be typical of a tug and tow so that either the tow can be inspected before transit and/or the crew/tug can be replenished. If I use previous tows as a comparison I would expect her to be here for about 2-3 days.

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »
SS American Reliance transiting the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal this morning Jan 11, 2011 enroute Brownsville TX for dismantling

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005171

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
with all the delay waiting for the panama gov to allow they ti proceed with the tow trough the locks wouldnt it have been just as fast and cheaper to just go down around? rather than getting messed around like they had been?
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline dmwnc1

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
Normally the delay is one day, two max, and then they dock across from Balboa as the tow is inspected and the tug replenished. This is the first time I can ever recall it taking eight days after arrival for the tug and tow to circle around, clear, dock for one day, and then proceed to the locks. It would be interesting to hear exactly why it took so long?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk