Author Topic: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????  (Read 23452 times)

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
Certificate Expires 2013-09-30

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
Anyone hear where the caribou is going to be tied up for its layup yet??  also does anyone have pics of it minus the company colors on its stacks now?
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 12:16:01 AM »
Trucker ..
She's still at the Sydney terminal..warm..Shore power..
Auxillaries and mains remain silent..

I can get some shots tomorrow after work ..if its not to late in the evening..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:26:46 AM by Gulfspan »

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:36 AM »
thanks it will be appreciated if you could

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
wether sucked here today trucker ..supposed to be nice tomorrow

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
Marine Atlantic Inc. is inviting proposals from qualified companies for the delivery and lay up of up to two RoPax vessels (Super-ferries) from Eastern Canada to a port in the Mediterranean Sea or Europe.

Closing for receipt of submissions will be 1500 hours Atlantic Time, December 30, 2010.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
They are in some big hurry to get rid of these two ferries.

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
 that is the head of MA as he dont want a reminder of his screw ups by not maintaining them as they should been kept up.  instead he hired 23 new managers to look at the problems with the system instead asking the employees...  that was in early 09... the terminal manager that runs the PaB terminal has a apartment in PaB but family (wife n kids live in St Johns) and he commuted back and forth.. management at its best.

we have a large port hee in sville with a deep harbor but they dont want to use it as it will still be in canadian waters and a reminder of what was/is the best ferries built in canada not a stena line reject .... I wonder with these vessels being fairly new WHY are they not using them themselves on their runs???? why did they agree to the renovation and shortening the ships?

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
Antbody know how to find out if the Carbou's classification(as a ferry) has run out?

Heard that her Classification has run out ,she's essentially a car with out plates..meaning other than switching docks..she cant leave her dock unless under tow..

Offline Stephen Ings

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 02:41:38 AM »
A European layup pretty much sums up the fact there is no need for them on the Digby or Maine runs.
:-o

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
According to the Equasis web site Caribou is due for survey March 3, 2011 and Smallwood December 4, 2014.
However they do not meet SOLAS requirements and would not be allowed to trade as passenger ships internationally. As I understnad it they are licensed to operate within Canada as "non-convention passenger ships" because they only trade in domestic service (i.e. within Canada.)
They would certainly be allowed to sail from Canada to Europe on a delivery voyage, without passengers. You could also be fairly sure that whoever was contracted to deliver them would be able to reflag them to St.Vincent or some other more forgiving flag.
My take on the tender call to move them to Europe is that it is an interim measure to get around asbestos/PCB removal issues before sending them to the scrap yard or selling them.

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
A European layup pretty much sums up the fact there is no need for them on the Digby or Maine runs.
Could be a chip to press the issue..buy now or pay later...

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »
According to the Equasis web site Caribou is due for survey March 3, 2011 and Smallwood December 4, 2014.
However they do not meet SOLAS requirements and would not be allowed to trade as passenger ships internationally. As I understnad it they are licensed to operate within Canada as "non-convention passenger ships" because they only trade in domestic service (i.e. within Canada.)
They would certainly be allowed to sail from Canada to Europe on a delivery voyage, without passengers. You could also be fairly sure that whoever was contracted to deliver them would be able to reflag them to St.Vincent or some other more forgiving flag.
My take on the tender call to move them to Europe is that it is an interim measure to get around asbestos/PCB removal issues before sending them to the scrap yard or selling them.

As far as I know PCB and asbestos are not on board..
They want rid of them ,myself thinking ,because theres no theres harbour to lay up warm ..the Mediteraian is a decent spot as she wont freeze,get cold and condesate  ..just shore power for pumps..air circulation..

I dont think ,,I hpoe not ,,shes to good for a breaker's yard..and if a breaker wants it ..they should heed the Finnjet experience ..the breaker lost money(at Alang India) ..Lloyds class hull in very good condition killed them isnt something that comes apat very easily ..hardend plate, more heat and harder to cut
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:47:17 PM by Gulfspan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk