Author Topic: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????  (Read 23456 times)

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »
Atlantic Vision is going back in service tonight weather permitting...
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
She's moved over and started to load around 7ish tonight

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »
I've looked at the MA website and the Caribou is still on the fleet roster!!   http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/company/fleet.shtml   

She hasnt been decommissioned yet ,,just pulled from service..
Time they load parts,unload the Marine Atlantic garb..prepare here for a warm layup..take's some time..
They turned her around last night or early AM ..and have a service craft off the davits.

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
at least it will be a warm layup unlike the freighter in cold layup and froze every water pipe in the ship.. then having to repair it before it could sail
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »
at least it will be a warm layup unlike the freighter in cold layup and froze every water pipe in the ship.. then having to repair it before it could sail

I distinctly remember the swearing over that one ...

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
To make matters worse, I seen a clip of here and now on youtube when she grounded tight against a sunken rock in PaB Harbour while trying to leave for Greece.  A matter of unfamiliar crew in an unfamiliar harbour in unfamiliar winds. Talk about bad luck.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:19:33 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »
To make matters worse, I seen a clip of here and now on youtube when she grounded tight against a sunken rock in PaB Harbour while trying to leave for Greece.  A matter of unfamiliar crew in an unfamiliar harbour in unfamiliar winds. Talk about bad luck.
Yah I remember that.

Kyle

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
Does anyone know if "BLUE PUTEES" has left germany yet? TELEGRAM newspaper says marine atlantic will take delivery in early dec. I presume canadian crew are aboard now getting ready to sail

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm thinking that the Blue Puttees has to go do some sea trials since she's a brand new vessel now with 12 meters trimmed off and a new accomodations part installed.  I don't know if the sub-contractors have finished their job yet??  I presume she'd be around after the Holidays with no major delays 8)

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
  well just thinking to meself MA swrewed up again as usualby taking out the caribou before the blueputtees has arrived and with the heavy xmas season as usual .. now they are down to 2.5 ships  instead of the 4 as is the fleet sized.. what dummy thought this trough smart NOT just my thought .. we know the vision cant really be trusted like the dependabality of smallwood and caribou .... and nerickson is another story

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
What's up with all this Marine Atlantic bashing ???  They are trying the best they can to provide service to Newfoundland, even it's president Wayne Follett is saying the company is still a "work in progress" since they're trying to incorporate new ships, new terminals, and alternate facilities for docking (North Sydney side).  This is no overnight fix, it's going to take time for MAI to get up to snuff.  Patience is the key word here!!  ;D  However, I think Trucker raised some good points, the Vision had been caught in a gust of wind and a rubber bumper hit the vessel and made a hole in the ship last winter, delaying crossings during peak Christmas travel.  They had to use the Ericson, and the J&C was under refit in Halifax at the time.   

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 02:48:30 AM »
I wasnt bashing them just making a point  that is it is stupid to take a ferry out of service with out a replacement in place to take over during a peak passenger travel peroid season...with the other vessels working and in reduces service it dont make sense is all i was sdaying

Offline Trelawney

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 05:12:11 AM »
It would seem strange not to keep her sailing until her replacement was ready, but perhaps the Caribou crew are going to work on the new ship, and therefore needed to get off the Caribou and over to Germany to bring her back to Candada.  Else, when the Puttees arrives with her new crew, the Caribou sailors are out of work.  Just a thought.

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
I wasnt bashing them just making a point  that is it is stupid to take a ferry out of service with out a replacement in place to take over during a peak passenger travel peroid season...with the other vessels working and in reduces service it dont make sense is all i was sdaying
I see you're point Trucker!!, Why would they pull a ship from service unless the new ferry is coming  ???  However, I think the crew from the Caribou might be in Germany now to bring the Blue Puttees to North Sydney. And it's like I said, the Vision sometimes can't be trusted in high winds, last year, when the ship hit the dock in Port aux Basques due to high winds made me wonder if it's as reliable as the Gulfspan ships while the gulf has high winds (especially around PaB) during the winter season!! It's just there's a lot of people out there (not naming any names) that don't like the ferry service because of the Vision and it's "cramped quarters" and overpriced buffet (which, by the way, has excellent food).  Also, the way the ships sometimes run into mechanical problems gripes a lot of people about their service.  It's going to take time to fix MAI, and they can be fixed, it just might take years to do it.  Also, I didn't have any problems with the Vision because she's such a wonderful ship inside with her colors more vibrant than the dreary interior of the three other ships, The food in the buffet was exceptionally good and the crew on the vessel are always happy to talk to you!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:40:17 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline dcracer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »
Is is possible that the Caribou's operating certificate ran out, and Marine Atlantic decided to take her out of service rather than go though the expense of re-certifying her just to take her out of service several months later.

Just a thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk