Author Topic: Deletions again  (Read 35315 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Deletions again
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Hi there all,

Last evening I saw a photo by Capt. Hilmar Snorrason of a vessel Thor taken in Reykjavik in 2005.  There was no IMO, but a little digging suggested it was one of the forner Icelandic gun boats used in the cod wars of the 1970's.   The admin's comment was that it had been 'dumped' in the 'shipping' category !!   

I left a message saying that as the vessel is of historical importance, although another small fishing vessel is moored at the stern of the ship, it should be retained.  The presence of 2 vessels of dissimilar types suggests the 'shipping' category to be the correct one for the photo, rather than it having been 'dumped' there.  Dumped being the rather unattractive wording of the Admin involved.   Hey presto, by this morning it had gone from the 'considered for deletion' category.

I have no idea as to whether it has been retained as even with an 'advanced search' the site comes up with over 1100 photo's involving the name 'Thor' which I am certainly not going through.

Two points here: the photo was posted in 2005, and we were told there would be no retrospective deletions.  But clearly there are !!!   Secondly, as a new Thor is currently on delivery to the Iceland coastguard, the Thor in the picture was probably laid up awaiting her fate - so could not really be classified.

I am worried that many historical photos may be wiped from the site by ignorance and a general lack of understanding of what might actually be of historical maritime significance.

Allan

Offline Capt. Hilmar Snorrason

• Top Poster
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Icelandic ships
Re: Deletions again
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
The said vessel Thor is still afloat and I cannot understand reason for her to be deleted. Thank's Allan for pointing this out as I had not seen these changes.
Capt. Hilmar Snorrason
[email protected]
www.Iceship.is

Offline Derek Lilley

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
Hi Capt.Hilmar Snorrason,

I have been checking up on the situation that Allan highlighted regarding your photo of Thor.

Having looked at the thumbnail of the deleted shot,and given its historic significance, if you would please re submit the photograph I will ensure it is retained on the site.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards
Derek

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
Hi Derek

I'm pleased that this pic. may be saved if Capt. Snorrason can be bothered to re-submit it.  Frankly, if it were one of mine I probably would not !!   Why should he have to go to the trouble of re-submitting, when the photo should not have been deleted in the first place.

It was only by chance that I saw the photo and then added comments regarding the history of the vessel and asking that it should be retained.  But even after taking the trouble to do this, the photo was still deleted.   Why ?    Who took the decision to delete, and why were the comments overlooked ?

This suggests that if a photo is 'considered for deletion', it will be anyway, no matter what comments are attached to it, nor indeed whether it may or may not be of any particular significance.

The main point of concern raised here is how many other photos are going to be lost to the site through a seeming general ignorance of shipping and the over zealous deletion mind-set of certain Admins.

Allan

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
The best and onliest way to protect a foto from deletion by our glorious fotoadmins is to stop uploading any foto.

Rgds.
Juergen

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
.............this is exact the way I'm going since nearly 2 years.
Some weeks ago they deleted a photo from me from 2006!. The policy here is to have mainstream photos for their commercial use
Xylad-Peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
Hi Ken

I note your reply, but basically you have not answered the two main points I raised.   The first being why was a photo posted in 2005 suddenly put up for deletion, when we were assured that there would be no retrospective deletions.  Secondly, after having done a little research on the vessel in the picture and ascertaining that it could be of historical significance, and having put a comment on the photo to that effect, why was it still deleted ?  Did neither of the people responsible for deleting the photo (we are told there is a second opinion required prior to deletion) read my note, or was the posted information simply ignored ?

As you question why I have not put myself forward for any Admin position, I already give of my time to the hobby, as secretary of Solent Maritime Society.  Although not particularly onerous in it's time demands per se, I do prepare a new slide show every year which I also present to a number of local World Ship Society branches, the preparation of which does consume a considerable amount of time.  I also present a second slide show each December which is a review of Solent shipping for that year.  I also have to eke out a living.

regards

Allan

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
I have never seen a foto of the ADMINS in the Deletion-Category.
Do they have other site standards than the common member?
After the deletion of my foto from the RIJNBORG yesterday (reason was point 5 of the sitestandards for all ships) I checked the account of the fotoadmin. In a really short view I found a high percentage of fotos which absolutely do not comply with the site standards.
The fotoadmins can only judge over other members fotos when their own uploaded fotos comply with the site standards at 100%.

Rgds.
Juergen

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
Hi Juergen,

Photo Admins have to comply with the same site standards as any other member would. I can back that up by saying a couple of my photos were deleted the other day.

Kind Regards,
Cody  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:31:20 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:22 AM »
Hi Cody

That leaves me baffled with the simple thought that if you knew they did not comply with site standards, with which you must be well aware, why did you post them. ??

Allan

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Hi Allan,

I thought one of my photos would be fairly boarder line with site standards and the other quite reasonable quality.

Kind Regards,
Cody

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »
Allan, I too have been in the same boat as Cody recently.  Now no disrespect towards the deletion admins here, but I am getting a bit concerned that we are seeing too many images that are right on the borderline of compliant being deleted especialy if there is some significance to the shot. 

Now as a Admin I hate having to recomend images for deletion and I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can, I will write to the member concerned point out my concerns about the image and more often or not the member will either delete the image them selves and fix it up and repost or they will take a chance, most of the time they are greatful for me pointing it out.

But it concerns me the most is the pre digital camera, Pre Auto focus days and low resolution scanner days, which one of my images deleted recently come under all 3 of these issues, the admin who refered the image for deltion said "the category Admin noted

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
I have never seen a foto of the ADMINS in the Deletion-Category.
Do they have other site standards than the common member?
After the deletion of my foto from the RIJNBORG yesterday (reason was point 5 of the sitestandards for all ships) I checked the account of the fotoadmin. In a really short view I found a high percentage of fotos which absolutely do not comply with the site standards.
The fotoadmins can only judge over other members fotos when their own uploaded fotos comply with the site standards at 100%.

Rgds.
Juergen

Hello J

Offline Marcel & Ruud Coster

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
Hello,

It was a very nice picture of the Rijnborg.
Once something other than just a picture of a boat.
Beautiful white area and the boat was visible!
Are worse pictures on Shipspotting.

Marcel

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
Hi all

I can not seem to see the post I added this afternoon.  It's too late to try to remember it all, but the gist of it was that despite three rather lengthy replies, my original point about retrospective deletions, has still NOT been answered.

Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk