Author Topic: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??  (Read 106571 times)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
Re: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Would any of the super ferries be considered to run out of Corner Brook to Quebec??  I know the MV Sir Robert Bond (built in 1975) is a good ship, but, it needs to be replaced if the NL gov't wants to make a go of the run

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
From what I'm hearing the Sir Robert Bond is going to be under contract for another 5 years. She is going to be used on the run to Labrador carrying freight, basically stand by, and she will be used on the St. Barbe to Corner Brook run

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
Thanks for the info Dean.  I didn't know there was a five year deal on the Bond.  I didn't even know about her being a standby vessel for Labrador.  This is news for me!!

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:31 PM »
Just goes to show what a vessel can do when properly maintained..The bonds old Dorman Diesels still get her there..

As far as a gulfspan ferry in Labrador ..Ive learned that draft may be an issue in some ports of call..

Now Corner Brook to St. Barbe ..great spot for the Vision

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2010, 02:28:56 AM »
She is maintained, the Bond is in really good shape. Her old Rustom engines are still purring along.
She will be going for refit later this spring after she goes on the St. Barbe run.

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 02:54:39 AM »
She is maintained, the Bond is in really good shape. Her old Rustom engines are still purring along.
She will be going for refit later this spring after she goes on the St. Barbe run.

LO...Shes got Dorman auxillaries ..Geez ..I heard so much talk about those things I forgot..

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »

As she just undergone a major modification ,This ships entire attitude has been changed.
she has to under go sea trials ,cert's and so forth ..Lloyds (or the applicable underwriter) may want to be present and satisfied that everything is in order before lending coverage to Marine Atlantic
Early December  is everything on schedule ,everything right the first time out.
Theres alot to go over,that must be gone over before the crew sets out over thew Atlantic to St. Johns.

..The Canadian crew  in part is there,

Acceptance maybe soom time this month

Early January is what I'm hearing before she gets here ,Service commences' in February ...pending further delays

Just a little info:  both Blue Puttees and Highlanders are under writed  by the DNV exchange  http://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/Main.aspx?EXTool=Vessel&VesselID=27435
The Leif Ericson is on there as well

DNV is a subsidary of Lloyds..DNV .. mainly European Transport..
Marine Atlantic has two choices ...Get Lloyds or pay a percentage of the cost of DNV.
Marine Atlantic dosent have to do that ..get their own policy ..because the ship isnt under the Canadian flag.
Im not surprised to see the Lief on the DNV as Marine Atlantic dosent own her..shes Charterd

Caribou isnt there ..J&C either ..because their on Lloyds

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:09:59 AM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 04:44:54 AM »
I thought the Leif was purchased by Marine Atlantic. She is shown in the Canadian registry as owned by Marine Atlantic.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/4/vrqs-srib/d.aspx?lang=e&shipid=821679

Take Care
Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
I thought the Leif was purchased by Marine Atlantic. She is shown in the Canadian registry as owned by Marine Atlantic.

Take Care
Jarrod

My bad...I miss read a few articles .. :-[ ..Im old

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:15:53 AM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

Take Care
Jarrod

You're right Jarrod.  The Leif Ericson was purchased in 2000 to operate the Gulf run in 2001 by Marine Atlantic!!  She is underwrited by the DNV Exchange like the Blue Puttees and Highlanders.  Only the Atlantic Vision will be underwrited by Lloyds Register in 2011.  Here's an interesting fact: The Ericson was flagged in the Bahamas (Nassau) during her transatlantic crossing in 2001, She was later re-flagged Canadian (St. John's). Caribou and J&C Smallwood was registered under Lloyds as Lloyds Baltic 1A super, Leif Ericson is DNV ICE 1B, Atlantic Vision is Lloyds Finnish 1AA super (the highest ice class in the fleet)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:54:24 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2010, 01:56:32 PM »
Does anyone got recent pics of the Caribou without her Marine Atlantic logos on the funnels??  I'm just curious of how she looks now.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »

Take Care
Jarrod

It's ok Gulfspan we will let it go for this time.... LOl

[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
I wonder if the rumor of laying up the superferries in Europe or the Mediterranean will come true??  MAI is currently looking for tenders I hear.  I'm still wondering how the MV Caribou looks like without her Marine Atlantic livery.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:57:31 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »

Take Care
Jarrod

You're right Jarrod.  The Leif Ericson was purchased in 2000 to operate the Gulf run in 2001 by Marine Atlantic!!  She is underwrited by the DNV Exchange like the Blue Puttees and Highlanders.  Only the Atlantic Vision will be underwrited by Lloyds Register in 2011.  Here's an interesting fact: The Ericson was flagged in the Bahamas (Nassau) during her transatlantic crossing in 2001, She was later re-flagged Canadian (St. John's). Caribou and J&C Smallwood was registered under Lloyds as Lloyds Baltic 1A super, Leif Ericson is DNV ICE 1B, Atlantic Vision is Lloyds Finnish 1AA super (the highest ice class in the fleet)
More proof the Leif Ericson (ex Stena Challenger) is owned by Marine Atlantic  

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-nat-2000-00_h033e-1767.htm

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:00:57 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »
Most of you might not know this but Marine Atlantic still owns the Bar Harbor International ferry terminal.  I wonder why MAI doesn't "evict" the Cat and Bay Ferries and make one (or both) ships dock at that facility for lay up as it's no longer in use.  They're currently looking at tenders for an environmental remedial plan.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:48:05 PM by Jacques Maillet »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk