Author Topic: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??  (Read 106569 times)

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 01:12:11 AM »
Its done I guess ..Ericsson left and as she came along side gave Caribou a blast of her horns in Sydney harbour
Caribou made her approach.effortlessly and flawlessly..The police showed up ,first one ..with a little chatter on the radio they rolled in in force ..sirens screaming lights blazing.
In the lay down and honour guard had assembled,fire trucks and shunt trucks at the bottom of Caribou's ramps..Caribou gave a short blast of her Klaxon's and was responded by a deafening roar of sirens and air horns..she called back to her shore bound entourage..
Dressed in her name and call sign she slipped into the dock ..touched up at 5:30 pm ..on schedule..
Lines ashore ..her ramps lay down ,she delivered her final load..
passengers and vehicles were greeted with the deafing roar of airhorn's and sirens ..trucks comming ashore let ripped with thier airhorns..
A salute and final goodbye..

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 01:17:54 AM »

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
 it is a sad day for the ferry service and newfoundland .... :(  looks like the Caribou is up fro sale by knudehansen corp in europe...

http://www.knudehansen.com/References/Ferries-Ro-Pax-Vessels/
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Great pics Gulfspan.
What a sad day. :(

Kyle

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »
it is a sad day for the ferry service and newfoundland .... :(  looks like the Caribou is up fro sale by knudehansen corp in europe...

Thx for the link Trucker001 :)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »

Thx for the link Trucker001 :)
Just thought I'd give some info, the ships were designed and engineered by Knude Hansen corp back in the early 1980's!!  This is just the info page on the two ferries with the dimensions and scope of the work done.   

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »

Nice pics of this magnificent super ferry Gulfspan!!!  I will truely miss her and the J&C Smallwood should I come back to North Sydney next summer :(  I was hoping these two would last for another 20 years, their lifespan to me have been cut halfway through. :o I'm just curious, where have they docked the Caribou after the final voyage?? I know it's somewhere around North Sydney (maybe Sydport or an alternate dock at the North Sydney terminal, but not sure where??
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:00:00 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »
Most certain it will be Sydport..I'll have a peak today..

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Still at the terminal..old Carter dock

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
I'd thought I'd share a link with some pics of the Smallwood in Boston while having her rudder problem fixed last month  
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=316001106  and click on ship photos at the bottom of the photo.    

I'm thinking some of you might be interested in seeing pics of her at the Boston dry dock!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:07:38 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
Nice pics of smallwood ....   one think i notivced i am not sure anyone else nticed .. even though the nightmare (aka Vision) and the other two the smallwood and caribou still had MORE passenger capacity then the new ones they could cary over 1200 passengers n crew then these new ones...caribou could also cruise at 24 knots not the advertised 18 where the MA people wanted you to believe they could run just as fast as vision in their day but are held back because of the engines needing to be rebuilt
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 02:38:08 AM »
Your right trucker..

18 knots was her pace 4 two reasons ..1 it kept maintenance and fuel down,something MA realised after Caribous second summer season ..second ..to hold her back..both vessels have at one point or another have had to nose into the dock in Sydney or Port aux Basques if they showed up before 7 am..so MA wouldn't have to pay extra overtime to the stevedore's..dont believe me just look at the schedules
 ... but those two reasons were why they ran 18knots...Both have run 22knots on fast turn around..The old MaK's and gears had to be watched..
Caribou has done the run 5hrs to PAB ,

18knots as advertised was the economy gear..Kinda like holding top cog at 1800rpm going down the highway on an 60 series detroit...I drive tractor to ...more like keep it pinned..I know
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:01:16 AM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
I've been on the Smallwood this summer and we blew the doors off the Leif Ericson while coming back from the rock.  I'm thinking the Captain must have pushed the J&C Smallwood close to her maximum speed of around 20 knots so they could get to the primary dock for disembarking vehicles and passengers, however, we had a mechanical problem and docked at the old Carter dock while the Ericson went to the primary dock (she caught up to us).  Nonetheless, I've enjoyed my very last trip on her this summer 8) By the way: Leif Ericson's speed is about 18 knots according to MA's website (slowest of the fleet)

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
What was the date you crossed Jacques?
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
What was the date you crossed Jacques?
July 16 on the J&C Smallwood, July 14 on the Atlantic Vision.  I wanted to see the Caribou and Smallwood before retirement!!  I also wanted to take day cruises on both the Vision and a Gulfspan ship, mission accomplished!!! I honestly liked the Vision (I don't know why people dislike her)!!  The food in the buffet was excellent 8)  I'm planing to head back next year to experience either the Blue Puttees or Highlanders and hopefully another trip on Atlantic Vision 8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:09:40 PM by Jacques Maillet »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk