Author Topic: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??  (Read 106580 times)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
Since they're being retired from Marine Atlantic service, I'm beginning to wonder where these wonderful vessels will end up in the immediate future. There's been speculation on where they're going, but no true details.  Some speculate the ships are going to the German yards where the replacement ferries are built to be retrofitted to one of the ferries running on the Bay of Fundy service!!  That's the only two speculations I've heard so far.  Did anyone hear any more rumors floating around??   

Offline kasco

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Where will MV Caribou and MV Smallwood end up??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
I am hearing that the Port Of Yarmouth has shown interest in the Smallwood for the Bay of Fundy service. This is the first I have heard that Lloyd Werft may do the refit.

Kasco

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
I even heard a rumor that the Caribou might run St.John to Digby!!

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
I even heard a rumor that the Caribou might run St.John to Digby!!
I heard that too.

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »
I am hearing that the Port Of Yarmouth has shown interest in the Smallwood for the Bay of Fundy service. This is the first I have heard that Lloyd Werft may do the refit.

Kasco

She be good for that run.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
If the schedule remains the same it looks like November 28th will be the final crossing for the Caribou.Will be a sad day for sure.

Take Care
Jarrod

Please see link courtesy of The Gulf News-Port Aux Basques,Newfoundlans, Canada.

http://www.gulfnews.ca/News/2010-11-13/article-1960930/MV-Caribous-final-run-this-month/1

[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
That's making me wonder if the new flagship of the fleet would be the Atlantic Vision once these two vessels are decommissioned?? It would be nice if they purchase the ship outright after their initial 5 year charter!! It's looking like she's here to stay for awhile if they're re-flagging her Canadian in the next two years  :) 

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
If the schedule remains the same it looks like November 28th will be the final crossing for the Caribou.Will be a sad day for sure.

Take Care
Jarrod

Please see link courtesy of The Gulf News-Port Aux Basques,Newfoundlans, Canada.

http://www.gulfnews.ca/News/2010-11-13/article-1960930/MV-Caribous-final-run-this-month/1

It will be a sad day for sure!!  It will truely be an end to an era when the flagship of Marine Atlantic will be retired  :(

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 02:15:40 AM »
It may just be a good sign they are going to keep her beyond the 5 year charter.I hope they do keep her,I really like the Vision anyway.She will do well on the Argentia run...
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »
I did hear by 2012 all three ships will be reflagged Canadian. I also just read on our local VOCM news that the Caribou will be retired at the end of next week.

Offline Stefan Niederer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
Thanks for all the infos I got here from NFL and Marine Atlantic. Nice to be updated, what's happening over there in northern Canada. Here is a suggestions where I would like to have such a ferry to travel: Boston - Halifax ( I think there will be a few tourist that could use this route)

;D ;D ;D

Stefan

P.S.: Please provide us as soon as possible with infos about the future Newbuildings for Marine Atlantic.

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
Sure is nice to hear that 2 new ferries will fly canadian flag & vision to be reflagged to canadian also. Don,t know who all you hourly posters are but we are supposed to have a jones act as such similar to usa that doesn,t allow foreign flagged vessels to trade between 2 canadian ports, but this has been abused & neglected by the federal authorities for years. I have nothing against cyprus or it,s people. or any other foreign country but, i think as a canadian i would love a ship running across cabot strait from nfld. to nova scotia to be flying canadian flag, & i,m sure mr. follett & all top executives of marine have had a lot of flack on this from union people as well as politicians & old seadogs like me to finally be proud canadians & get our flag back on these ships. Thank god someone in govt. is listening. Might not mean anything to you young people but i,m sure it does to a lot of older canadians, & especially an awful lot of the best seamen in the world that come from newfoundland

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
It may just be a good sign they are going to keep her beyond the 5 year charter.I hope they do keep her,I really like the Vision anyway.She will do well on the Argentia run...
Me too, I actually liked the Atlantic Vision much more than the Gulfspan ships being retired!!  The colors are more vivid and she's the quietest and most powerful vessel in the fleet!!  I hope to sail on her on a day trip again next year and enjoy the buffet once more. :)  But, I'll miss those Gulfspan ships as well since I traveled on both of them in the past (including the Smallwood this year).   

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »
I don't know if MAI will build two similar, yet longer versions of these ships after the charter of the two Stena vessels are up??  It would be nice to see that in the future.  :)

Offline Stephen Ings

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
I'd say the will end up buying both at end of charter :o)   Bring back the Marine Nautica I say  ;D
:-o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk