Author Topic: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?  (Read 84567 times)

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
All E-class vessels will go into a dry dock near Hong Kong, so there are indeed more docks which can handle this size of vessel.
but if maersk`s next 18000teu class containership is real longer than 470m?

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 08:31:05 AM »
Who knows what kind of containership which daewoo is building now ?

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »
Remember at this moment a very, very limited number of ports could handle such vessels if the length is really 470m.
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
Remember at this moment a very, very limited number of ports could handle such vessels if the length is really 470m.
Maybe this is the biggest problem for the birth of this class ship

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
The problem with a longer ship is not the berths, but the size of the swinging area in the port. Most ports have geographical constraints and will be unable to accommodate larger vessels without a huge added cost of additional channel widening to create areas where these vessels could be swung.

I am not convinced that these 18000teu vessels need to be longer than 400 metres. Afterall, they will be 24 boxes across where the E class are 22 and their hull will be more "box" like as per the MSC Daniella class. The E class can, and has actually loaded just over 15000teu.

Using MSC Daniella as an example at 13500teu and building from that, she is 20 boxes across and 44 x 20' bays long. By widening her to 24 boxes across at 7 high on deck and 10 high below deck = 44 x 4 x 17 = 2992. That increases teu to 16492. By now increasing the length by 2 x 40' bays, ie 4 x 20' bays, which brings her to about 400m long the capacity  is incresed by 4 x 24 x 17 = 1632, which gives a total 18124 teu. Take off 124 boxes for good measure and that gives you an 18000teu 400m long ship.

Another point to note is that when Maersk builds their own ships in their own yard, they are very secretive about the sizes etc, but when another yard is building them for maersk, the yard wants the publicity that they are building the first of the next generation, so they sing loadly about the actual capacity of the ship.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »

At the moment, Daewoo Okpo are building a series of 14,000 TEU ships for CPO, Hamburg including what looks like a new MSC Napoli.
All of these ships are the same specification as MSC Daniela.
Hyundai Heavy Industries are building 4 new Maersk/(Rickmers) of 13,092 TEU.
Kelvin

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Fully agree with PilotB10.
As I am working at Maersk Line marine operations Northern Europe, I am daily involved in the scheduling & berthing of the "Emma Maersk" class vessels. Ports like Bremerhaven, you have specific tidal requirements to ensure the vessel will swing on or just before/after the tide is changing. With such a length you are 'obstructing' a significant part of the river / tidal flow, which might push such a big vessel and let it be out of control with all negative consequences.

Perhaps vessels might be a little bit longer, but I reckon the biggest capacity increase will come from extra wide or heigh vessels. This requires a new generation of gantry cranes as well.
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »

At the moment, Daewoo Okpo are building a series of 14,000 TEU ships for CPO, Hamburg including what looks like a new MSC Napoli.
All of these ships are the same specification as MSC Daniela.
Hyundai Heavy Industries are building 4 new Maersk/(Rickmers) of 13,092 TEU.
Kelvin

will this be the first time for maersk to build his largest boxship in korea ? How long will it take them to build a 18000 teu boxship?

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 05:23:30 AM »
another question :will it be the first large boxship using LNG as fule?

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
Perhaps vessels might be a little bit longer, but I reckon the biggest capacity increase will come from extra wide or heigh vessels. This requires a new generation of gantry cranes as well.

The new cranes at Felixstowe South have an outreach of 24 boxes, so some ports already have these in place.

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »

The new cranes at Felixstowe South have an outreach of 24 boxes, so some ports already have these in place.
[/quote]
when did they got fixed there?after emma maersk was put into service ?

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

when did they got fixed there?after emma maersk was put into service ?
[/quote]

Pepper, they have been arriving during the course of this year espeically for the Felixstowe South terminal, the first berths 7 & 8 which are due to become operational early next year will have a total of 7 x 24 wide cranes built by ZPMC China.
Felixstowe already has a number of 22 wide cranes which are used on the Emma Maersk & other "PS" class vessels.

regards
Andrew
Containership Admin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:05:35 PM by Andrew McAlpine »

Offline Gerrit1973

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »
Fully agree with PilotB10.
As I am working at Maersk Line marine operations Northern Europe, I am daily involved in the scheduling & berthing of the "Emma Maersk" class vessels. Ports like Bremerhaven, you have specific tidal requirements to ensure the vessel will swing on or just before/after the tide is changing. With such a length you are 'obstructing' a significant part of the river / tidal flow, which might push such a big vessel and let it be out of control with all negative consequences.

In Rotterdam, most vessels get turned in the 'put' (pitt) which is specially dredged out for the loading / discharging of oil-rigs. So that would be no problem.
However, assuming that the vessel will get WIDER in stead of longer, they will obstruct a large part of the incoming sea-lane.
At present E-class vessels already prohibit other large seagoing vessels from departing and / or arriving between the wavebreaks at Hook of Holland. Especially when weather-conditions are rough NO other vessels are allowed in or out of the same approach.
WIDER vessels would obstruct the approach even more, so it may also be a considderation for MSK Line wether or not that is desirable. I could imagine port-authorities would like to tax those vessels more than others  ;D
My imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems...

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 01:04:16 PM »
I have seen the big ones passing each other on several occassions.
With rough weather it should not be that difficult to let them pass on different times.

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
Surely these bigger container vessels will have no greater impact on traffic than the ULCC's and ore carriers that frequent Europort?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk