Author Topic: 1 Million Photos  (Read 67407 times)

Ron

Re: 1 Million Photos
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
Hallo Hannes.

Naar Klaus zou ik ook niet gaan............wat een drammer.

En ja, jammer dat er ook veel mensen mee gaan stoppen maar als ik het goed begrijp hebben sommige "admins" er geen moeite mee dat er een leegloop is. Komt over van: voor jou 10 anderen.
Kijk bv naar de namen die Stan heeft genoemd.
Die mensen zijn ook niet voor niks weggegaan denk ik.

Maar goed ik heb er even mijn buik van vol en ga het rustig aandoen.

Groeten Ron
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:34:13 PM by Ron van de Velde »

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
For what it
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:19:07 AM by E. Vroom »

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
Hi Ed.

Nice spoken Ed.
It is a nice Christmas thought.
Also Merry Christmas and a Happy 2011 

Rgds:Hannes.

Offline Christian Br

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
Be Prepared! :-)
Alltid Beredt!

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
I adhere to E.Vroom opinion.My English is hard but he has expressed exactly my view of the site.One more thing: for me it is copmpletely unacceptable that the "photos considered for deletion" category is only available for administrators.This is a kind of inquisition.Everybody must respond in public by his acts
Merry Christmas from Spain

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
Hi all,
I was not follwing the forums during the last weeks because of lack of time.
Let me just give my thoughts as one of the oldest members on this site (since 6 Years) about the whole discussion.
The site was first a sort of hobby site of Thomas Pinas with only a few 100 of photos on it, when I discovered it in mid 2004. It was besides a few others the only site, where everyone could post its own photos just for fun. As I had not time to create my own homepage I just started to to post my photos. During the next years lots of other shiplovers got attracted by this site and it grew by members and photos. Some silly guys posted really rubbish, anything, but not a ship photos. For this the admin team was born. During a long time Derek Sands, whom I really can call a good friend was managing the admin team. He has the real spirit to create a balance inbetween rules and chaos and always was friendly. But with a rising always a change is coming. And the more people stick in some way together the bigger are the possible communication problems. There are always guys who wants to show theirselves and making rumours or create discussion. So it became more and more impossible to get an agreement on things. There were hardliners, who wanted to restrict the site to only the best quality photos and there were others who wanted to allow everything. The middle way to make everyone happy was impossible and will it be forever. But Derek and his team tried it (voluntarly) as best as they could. For this I joined the admin team in 2009. And I am doing everything besides a hard work in a larger company.
I did not like the change of the "site sponsors" and the way Thomas "sold" the site. But I still liked the site with all its possibilities and all the friends I have found and met during all those years. For this I stayed and will stay with that site. Not everything is Ok on this site (it cannot be as we are too many members with too different opinions), E.g. I also would have liked the considered for deletion category be rested in the public. But still the site is very attractive for me, much more attractive than others sites like this one of Klaus e.g. who is making with every post publicity for his site (why he needs on every message a comment, that someone should join his site?).
But this site is still the site of the shipsotting members, first of all of the active members, who contribute in photos, thoughts and informations about shipping, despite a sponsor, who is using the site, supporting his products.
And I do not see any reason to leave the site because a few things I do not like on the site.
I hope many of you fell like me, which should not prevent us from discussing friendly, how we can improve with the site. You always can improve.
Have a nice an peaceful Christmas time
Gerolf

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
Well you have a funny way of making friends.

Have fun
Fred

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »
HI ALL

WHAT IS THE FUZZ ABOUT.
GUIDELINES HAVE TO BE, WITHOUT THIS AND ALSO OTHER SITE WILL BE FILLED WITH CRAP.
THE PICTURES DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT BUT A LEAST THE VESSEL WOULD HAVE TO BE IN IT
AND MOST UNOBSTRUCTED.
I AM HERE BECAUSE CAPT PETER MY CAPT-COLLEGUE BROUGHT THIS SITE TO MY ATTENTION AND SINCE THEN I UPLOADED ABOUT 8000 PICTURES. SOMETIMES IT AGGREVATES WHEN ADM,S DELETE A PICTURE,
BUT THEN, IF YOU HAVE A FEW 1000 IT REALLY MATTERS ON ONE DELETED ?????
I THINK NO, OF COURSE THE OPINIONS DIFER, BUT I STAY AS FAR AS I CAN SEE IT. I MET
A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLES THROUGH IT LIKE DEREK,PHIL, CLYDE, GEROLF AND CORNELIA WHO HELPED ALWAYS WHEN THEY COULD. ALSO I WILL MEET SOONER OR LATER A FEW GUYS IN SANTOS, BRAZIL (RODEIRO AND PILOT GUSTAVO) ONCE I GET THERE WITH THE VESSEL I SAIL AS MASTER. ALSO TO MENTION FROM MY SIDE YVON IN FORT DE FRANCE. SO ALL OVER THE SITE IS A GOOD THING AND GOOD THINGS COME/CAME OUT OF IT. DO I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING,,,NO WAY,,ASK CLYDE HE CAN ATTEST, BUT OVERALL THE SITE IS FINE TO ME

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY 2011 TO ALL

BRGDS
CAPT TED 
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »
Hi,

Just an answer to this one...

What lacks, is communication. However Henrik Soderberg is put in placet to improve on this, an overview of what

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Hi Henrik,

thanks for the update.However a layout of the plan/priority list would be nice.
As I said i believe it will keep us from complaining on whenever this or that will be "finally" implemented.
I'm aware you're doing a tramendous job, but maybe that's just me.
For sure when step one is delaied, so will be the next.
Keeping us posted more frequently will save a lot of frustration and keep people with us.

Thanks again,

Ed

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
Hi,

The software for managing the list would need an upgrade as well to be useful. ;) Right now we know the priorities, as some fundamental things have higher priorities than anything else.

I think I can safely say that most things discussed in the forum (that hasn't yet been fixed) is in the top half of the list.

Regards,
Henrik
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:31:04 AM by Henrik Soderberg »

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Hi All,

I like this discussion about the Admins and Delethings,
Reading this discussion
Some peolple said Admins remove more Garbage (too much garbage on this website)
Some people said delete not all pictures that not go with the site standaards,
I have seen the picture of COKL of the Aurora,really good picture, why should we deleted this photo ?? See no reason why,
About the Rijnborg of Miraflores should be always stays on this website almost perfectly.
If i looked on other website
I see people uploaded Half ships,painting of ships,to much siloutte, copyright pictures.
Is this what we want,I think not.
I think that sort picture are need to be deleted on this website.

Regards,

Dave
Admin for Containerships

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
Hi,

Not so long ago the site was celebrating reaching a million photos - however with the current rate of deletions i think we'll soon be below that figure shortly which is sad.... :(

My question is what is the official site answer to this decline in people keeping their photos on here?

Cheers
Richard

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
hi richard

personal I think it is just that some people want to have more say and that of ocurse
is very difficult to regualte.
Most people who delted are also poeples who had alot pictures and were long time already
active on this site. Now a new owner changed things and new things always looked at
skeptical in the beginning. I also wasn,t real happy about the site and still have a few issues, but in general I think they try to please all, which is impossible to begin with.

To give the mambers more say or influence, How one will do that ?
the one who uploads a lot has a bigger say,,or who is longer a member ?
Perhaps who loaded the most up in a certain time frame  or who has the best pictures
But then, who decides what type is the best or which one is the best ?
I personal loaded up about 8000 plus pictures in just a little more than 2 years.
Some were deleted, that happens, but 99% plus are still there.
The other point which I believe is that this site got too big and too popular and as
always with success comes also a certain kind of demise. The site is still for my part the best one I know, I checked out a few others and did not like them.
So, how much picture are on this site does not really matter. For my part they give me a easy and free account where I can share my pictures and see pictures of others. also one gets to know a lot of different peoples from different countries, so I would say all in all
it is worthwhile to stick around.

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:19 PM »
As a member since 2005 I've also seen the changes to the site. But I totally agree with Gerolf. The basic idea of a website like this one is to share pictures with others and stay in touch with people who share the same hobby. Stay on board if you like it and jump ship if you don't. But stop nagging. It's as simple as that.

Brgds,
Robert.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:59:36 PM by Robert Smith »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk