Author Topic: 1 Million Photos  (Read 67398 times)

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Million Photos
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
Hi Cornelia,

Maybe it would help a little if you stop ridiculizing peoples arguments. If people think the topphoto thing is unfair and they have a problem with that, then so be it. If you have no problem with that? Good for you.
No I don't have answers and I am willing to be constructive. I and some others just pointed out that for some reason the site feels a lot different then before.
But I will stop arguing here, people only get upset and that was not what I intended.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:40:41 PM by Fred Vloo »

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
Hi all,

the sense of this site is not to supporting us in our hobby or make social contacts for and with our hobby. The sense of this site is to create perfect photos for commercial use. For this they need perfect fotos of vessels with nothing else on it. It must not be a good shot like miraflores ones it must be only the ship,- perfect, clear and in all .
I got e-mail from stupid admins they wanted to delete fotos from 2008 or earlier because the I have copyright in the picture- no problem for me- the new pictures they don't get and the old one's no problem. What sense have it to delete a foto from 2008? And the other top posters don't want to give their fotos away for nothing.
What do you think Tomas sold the site and the site have an investor and he want to get back his money.
On shipspotting places he was nerver seen.
He used us, the fotografers, the admins who spent her time and all to earn money.
I don't like the language of Mr. Petersen but I can understand HansE and the others
Xlyad- Peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
Hello Peter,

alot of truth in, what you say ! Perfect photos, for commercial use, and such.

Now, I have been thinking myself: What, if they want to use my photos (ok the good ones hehe) for commercial use, and make money with my photos...

My conclusion is:

It's a trade: I have a platform, where I can upload as many photos as I want, share with a wide community of people and keep social contacts, as well (of whom few became good friends, btw.!!) I don't have to fiddle around with the technical stuff, the layout.

All that, I get here - for free, I don't have to do anything. It's something I receive.

On the other hand, if it's a trade, and they instead - want to use photos commercially, this totally un-dependent on what others here say, I'd agree, and say - yes, it's a fair trade.

Now, there must be a reason, why many of the people who complain, still come here, and upload photos, and contribute ? Is it perhaps, that after all, this here is far much easier, than starting up an own website, and do all the fuzz yourself ?

Just my thoughts  ;)

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »
Dear Cornelia,

why went top posteres such as HansE and others away? The site lost in the last short time a lot of social contacts and friends. They were all people on the hot spots of shipspotting and they were all peope which were a long time with us. Yes every day we have new friends but no one of them upload 5 and more fotos - good ones- a day like they did.
The new site is only to collect our fotos you have no chance to see fotos from others easyly. You have to search by your ownn.
We know each other very good but on this point we are total opositional- I want to konw what with my pictures happens, I want to see my name on my fotos for copyright and I can share the benefit for one of my fotos with this site but I don't want not to donate all and now the main reason I want to upload fotos - and here I will decide if it is worth and what is a good foto and not otherdirected by admins which not have a clue- this is not against you but for some others!!!!!
See you at the next trip there we can discuss more.
Xylad-Peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

BobS

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:25 AM »
This site, very unfortunately, has fallen victim to its own success.
It just got too big  . .  . to the point that it could no longer be the

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
It is really strange that some  members are off due to site design.Me too, don't like just one photo of last upload on home page.I would rather like to see for example 6 small thumbnails than this but should I leave because my dislike or...
What I have noticed long ago that a few members have gone mostlikely due to missing Top List posters list.No one can see them and what is point of doing this! Who cares for quality,poor weather conditions when shooting,distant subjects,backlighting......fishing boats of 3 meters long etc... :'(

Offline carimar

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • SwissShips
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »
Frankly spoken, i do not like the new design of the front page, right now, especilly the 3 photos of the most viewed today, are not helpfully to the visitors. on the old design could immediatedly see fresh uploaded pic's.
from my side it will be always a great loss to our shiplover community, to loose members and their photographs on this site, especially like Marie-Ann, HansE, Haroship & others. for me it was also a great loss that shipspotting has lost, loop101 from shanghai (he told me the reason). asian shipphotographers are of course very rare.
sometimes i could also not understand, why a picture has to be deleted too, because the having been good in my oppinion. hopefully the admins could find solutions, not to get lost any more members. it should be a website in which shiplovers could meet friends & and share their passion.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:19:02 PM by carimar »

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »
Hi All,

Well here's my take on things on here...

Firstly i think this site has lost it's core values, in some ways it has become overly complicated and cluttered.

A hobby site with photos, a forum, and contact details is all people want, nothing flash and fancy. I think back to when i joined that's how it was, obviously the site has expanded since then but it does have the feel now of being detached from it's most important provider US!

You have to do so many more clicks to get where you want to go now, and as above i think the "top photos" in the last 24 hours HAS to go as it's just plain stupid. Lets have a live feed of new photos up there with working links to the photographers concerned.

The layout of the old site was great so why the need to change it? If something was working fine why tinker with it? Could the old familiar layout not return to the new front page - this would help keep things easy for everybody concerned?

Random photo of the day works on say private blogs but for a site like this, and to be honest it's a bit of a waste of space, give that the heave ho too.

If i remember i read a new front page is being planned so i hope consideration is given to the above points, and that we get back to basics somewhat as that may help the general atmosphere brighten somewhat!

I have met many friends on here and will continue to post when and if i can as sharing is a two way thing, but something is not right somewhere here.

I'm so gutted the likes of HansE has decided to move his photos out as they were of fantastic clarity and a joy to few, and a worrying development if we start losing people like this.

Cheers
Richard

Offline Christian Br

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
My approach to the shipspotting.com site is as follows; I want to look at pictures of ships from around the world. I like to look at the ships from various angles and the details of the ships. It's fun to "follow" ships throughout their life (i.e. change of ownership, colour schemes, change of funnel marks etc.). So I think it's unfortunate when pictures displaying only parts of ships are deleted. I also think it's unfortunate when pictures of a funnel is deleted because that spesific funnel mark already exists on the site; a funnel is different from ship to ship (of course not 100% true since some ships are built in series).
I feel that the shipspotting.com site has moved into a, as some already has mentioned, commercial way. And I think it's unfortunate.
It's been a long time since I have uploaded any pictures. There are several reasons for that (I'm at sea six months a year for one), but maybe the number one reason is that I'm not sure if I want to participate any more because of what I just wrote above.
I think it's correct to delete poor quality pictures. But my opinion is that it has gone to far. Just because the horizon is not 100 % level don't mean that the picture is poor. Again, I also think that pictures of parts of a ship is okay to keep on the site, because it's interesting to look at the details. Every ship is different.
As for the layout of the new site; I think it looks good. But I also would like to see more of the resent uploads on the front page. The "most viewed" section is of no interest for me.

Christian!
Be Prepared! :-)
Alltid Beredt!

BobS

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:23 PM »
Mr Stilling:

SO pleased to note that you took my advice about putting your shirt back on.

Now I wonder if I could ask a couple of favours from you.
Do you think you could stop sending me these infantile e-mails I keep getting from your silly web-site and then remove my name from your site's members list. I have never contributed anything to it think and it highly unlikely that I would ever wish to do so! I think it is rubbish and never will be a serious competitor to this one (notwithstanding the faults of this site).

You would be better employed tending to your own site than sticking your oar in and stirring things up here.
 ;D

Gl

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
I will try and reply to a few points made in the preceding posts.

Klaus would like us to get rid of the "stars" and other ranking titles.
This was inherited from the old site and never once was a problem before.
I think members would like to know who they were conversing with if it was a member of the admin team. Before members were critical when admins were anonymous.

So what now then a suggestion please Klaus, and obviously more opinions from others on this subject as changes can be made but not at the bequest of just one individual.

To answer some of Richard's concerns, the old platform was perhaps simpler but left no room
for development. The software architecture was old and open source with no support from the originator as it was bought as a "package".
Things had to change and the new owner has a vision for constant improvements.
These will be driven in some respects by the membership so keep suggestions coming and let us know your dislikes. To ensure this is seen I will link the new owner to this forum post.
Be aware that the admin team run the site with no interference from the owner who is happy
to let us run his investment. Where else you would find this on the net I do not know but would guess it to be rare.

best regards
Derek

Derek,

regarding stars and such: For me, they have always been a good thing, because they did show me, as a newbie, who is an experienced member with some extra-duties, whom I could ask. I had many question to ask, and I did not always agree with what was said, and such.

But, in general - the stars are o. k., if there are more than one unsatisfied member, who for some not logic reason, feels disturbed by stars, it is of cuorse an option to use things like "senior member" or something like that. I am sure there are ways.

Regarding complicated site: I agree on this, it used to be simplier. Programmers have to keep in mind something called "Usability".  Links, and ways to search things should be self-explaining, easier to access, un-needed things better left away. If there are many who do not like "top photos of 24 hours" (I also don't like them), remove them, and if folks like, keep there three last photos during last half hour (or whatsoever).

You know, things can always be better. That's with most things really. But after I have seen the cluttered and too flashy and very much in distorder design of MyShipPassion site, I am happy that here it is not far as bad, as well with flashy commercials and the likes. A good example for, that things can not only always be better, but an evidence, that they could always be worse as well !  ;D

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
I like to react to what is happening;
1) quality is a issue that is brought up many times. Unfortunately some admins live up to the rules to strickt and on the other hand they tolerate rubbish...
2) Instead of listening to members, there are always endless discussions, I even often read "only X members complain, so the rest is okay with it". Well here is a suprise, even not complaining members are deleting their photos.
3) This site would be improved when migrated. Well start improving!!! Why wining? Listen to the members and do it!
4) I seriously considered to cancel my memebership and take my photos to a new website. unfortunately the owner of that site behaves very childish in this forum, so no option for me anymore.
5) remember the quality photos of Walsoorden, HansE, Haroship, Steve Elwood...and there are more to come.

please make up your minds and fix this site.

best regards

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
Hmmm!
This really is descending into something like a fight between a couple of the bad girls at school; you know, a lot of hair pulling and insult swapping.
The deletions issue is and always has been the biggest bone of contention on this site.
I said a long time ago that we shouldn't have sleepless nights over whether or not a photograph is somewhere between poor and total rubbish.
When we browse or search for photos, we are presented with a series of thumbnails of approx 200 x 200 pixels. If one of those thumbnails look awful, we skip over them and view the better quality ones.
How easy is that!
Having umpteen pages of rules and regulations on what you can and can not post, how the photograph must look or is composed etc is asking for trouble.
If poor quality photos are posted, they get ignored and fade into obscurity.
Alternatively, if other users post appropriate, non-insulting, comments on the photo, the poster will eventually get the idea.
Similarly, the issue of watermarks falls into this area. Why should I worry if someone wants his photo to carry his mark?
I imagine most posters have this thought in mind when they post a photo; "Here is my picture of .....I hope you like it". If we do like the image of a ship, we should feel free to say so, without sniping about watermarks etc.
Unfortunately, in the past when the issue of deletions has been raised, it has generally resulted in some (certainly not all) admins getting defensive and reacting as if it is a personal attack on the admins.
The result now seems to be that those who have raised this issue in the past are now known as a clique, generally referred to as "those who complain" etc. I think it is now becoming apparent that "those who complain" have become something more than a little clique.
I have been referred to by a previous admin as being part of the "Solent Mafia"! No offence taken, Bob. In fact I thought it funny.
In summary, on the deletions part anyway; drop the deletions thing entirely and allow the site to find its own level of quality. It might take a while to happen naturally but at least there would be less of this topic taking up bandwidth!

As for the site layout etc; be fair to the admins now. They did ask, many times, for ideas, thoughts on what to include etc and the beta version of the site was open to all to review and comment upon. If we didn't take that opportunity, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
The time for complaining has gone. I am sure the admins would be open to ideas for improvements, submitted in a respectful manner but not when they come in strident demands.

Finally, re Ken. I don't think he looks like a brigadier at all. More like a Corporal!

Kelvin

Ron

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:49 PM »
I`m deleting my garbage............ ;)

Ron

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
-5000 is not a Million Derek ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk