Author Topic: Online Shipping Courses  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Steam Packet

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Online Shipping Courses
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
Hi All, 

I've been trying to find if there are any suitable Online Courses someone could do in order to gain employment, shoreside, in the Ferry (RO-RO/RO-PAX) Industry? Online Courses would be preferable, as there would be no need for relocation or to leave current employment. 

This isn't my area of expertise, and I'm hoping the Shipspotting community can lend a hand. I've found https://shippingcollege.co.uk/course-purchase/diploma-courses/maritime-shipping-diploma-full-upfront-payment-detail this at the Shipping College, but in all honesty I've never heard of them. There aren't a great deal of online reviews from other graduates and I'm just not sure about it...

Can anyone help out? Would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Offline em777

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Online Shipping Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:08 PM »
Hi Steam Packet,

Some of it is chicken and egg I.e you need experience afloat before you can take the reigns shore side, but in more recent times uni courses have helped graduates find jobs in the industry. I'd recommend looking at universities with a maritime department. Liverpool and Liverpool JMU for example do courses such as shipboard operations and management and maritime logistics. Whether these courses are full time I do not know but well worth looking at as a starting point.

Hope this helps,
John

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Hi

Besides Liverpool Uni which is a good bet, you could also try contacting the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. Don't be put off by the name - they do courses on all aspects of the industry including port management: https://www.ics.org.uk/learning/port-and-terminal-management

There's also the Institute of Supply Chain Management: https://www.ioscm.com/courses/ports-shipping-courses/

Rgds

Neil

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
It depends what your background is.

From what I've seen, your best bet is likely to be in HR or crewing - Once COVID has stopped causing issues for the industry. ATM a LOT of shoreside staff are facing layoffs/redundancies (Carnival UK let a considerable number of people go recently...)

Ports or infrastructure management are also a good bed, or ship chandling.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:18:48 PM by smithy166 »
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Steam Packet

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:53:15 PM »
Hi Steam Packet,

Some of it is chicken and egg I.e you need experience afloat before you can take the reigns shore side, but in more recent times uni courses have helped graduates find jobs in the industry. I'd recommend looking at universities with a maritime department. Liverpool and Liverpool JMU for example do courses such as shipboard operations and management and maritime logistics. Whether these courses are full time I do not know but well worth looking at as a starting point.

Hope this helps,
John

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking into the University courses available, but none are available close to me. They are of great interests, though part-time 'distance learning' would be best for me. It would allow me to keep earning in my current job.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully there's  something suitable out there.

Offline Steam Packet

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:55:53 PM »
It depends what your background is.

From what I've seen, your best bet is likely to be in HR or crewing - Once COVID has stopped causing issues for the industry. ATM a LOT of shoreside staff are facing layoffs/redundancies (Carnival UK let a considerable number of people go recently...)

Ports or infrastructure management are also a good bed, or ship chandling.

Thanks for your reply, Crewing does interest me to be honest. I've done some leisure reading on Maritime Labour Convention Treaties in the past.

I know I wouldn't walk into a top job, but it would help me get a starting position if I had some qualifications.

Offline Steam Packet

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
Hi

Besides Liverpool Uni which is a good bet, you could also try contacting the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. Don't be put off by the name - they do courses on all aspects of the industry including port management: https://www.ics.org.uk/learning/port-and-terminal-management

There's also the Institute of Supply Chain Management: https://www.ioscm.com/courses/ports-shipping-courses/

Rgds

Neil

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I've looked at the links, the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers looks amazing. It looks like they offer exactly what I was looking for, and the prices look reasonable too!

Have you any experience with these courses? I'd definitely be interested in signing up. I've sent them an email, so I'll hopefully hear back soon with more details!

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
I have known ICS and of these courses for many years - those I know who have followed them have always been well satisfied.  And I believe that they are highly respected by employers.

Offline Steam Packet

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:46:26 AM »
I have known ICS and of these courses for many years - those I know who have followed them have always been well satisfied.  And I believe that they are highly respected by employers.

Thanks for that, yeah it's definitely looking like they were exactly what I was hoping to find.

Hopefully I'll be able to get started soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk