Author Topic: Where to go in East England for shipspotting  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Galadriel

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Where to go in East England for shipspotting
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »
Good Morning.
After Visiting  my Husbands Family we have Some  days left until going back onto the ferry on Wednesday and thought we go over to the east cost from here, just across from about Manchester and than slowly down the coast to Folkestone.
Can anybody tell me where it is worth going to see big ships? Is Hull worth going? Is there any other place between Hull and Folkestone and where do we best go in Folkestone? We best like the big container ships or car carriers.
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards from Galdriel.

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in East England for shipspotting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Hi Galadriel,

I was also going to suggest Felixstowe, but Derek beat me to it. There are three other  places that may be helpful. Spurn Point, on the North bank of the Humber & possibly Immingham or Grimsby on the South Bank. Ships have to pass close to these two locations, but not very many large container ships. There is also Gravesend. I haven't personnaly been to these other three points, but judging by some of the photos seen on this and other sites, they can produce some nice results. Most of my photos are taken of ships in Harwich, Felixstowe, Rotterdam and any others that pass the ship I work on.

Many regards

Karl
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:46:12 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline Galadriel

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
Hi Derek, Hi Karl,
Apologize for only answering now.
We had trouble to go online in England after we left my parents in laws house.
So we got your advise too late unluckily.
We endet up one night in a little town called Paull where we could park our cmaper directly in town with view over the Humber. But there was not to much ship trafic that night. But anyway, we had a nice walk there in the morning...one of the few dry and warm moments that week!!!
Nevertheless thanks for your advise, will note it down for our next visit.
Kind regards
Galadriel

mas24546

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »
There are four major ports on the River Humber along with numerous riverside wharves and jetties that all manner of vessels use. Ship spotting activities at Grimsby are very much restricted compared to what it used to be.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:14:17 AM by mas24546 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk