Author Topic: new member......hi everyone!!!  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Jamie Walton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
new member......hi everyone!!!
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
/

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: new member......hi everyone!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
Welcome to the site Holdsworth. I am sure it will be right up your street given that you are a dedicated shipspotter :-)

We look forward to seeing some of your photos. Don't be afraid to post them, but please take a look at the FAQ & Site Standards link on the left-hand menu, if you haven't already done so.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »
Hi Scott.

Update: Scott, Jamie?

Welcome to the site. I am also looking forward to seeing your contributions.

Cheers Fred

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
Welcome to the site, Scott!

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline Jamie Walton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
I offten compare it with fishing. Here you find a lot of people in the weekends sitting near rivers and canals with their fishing gear. Sometimes we have them here on the dam, however that is less funny, because they can be in the way sometimes.
But be honest, we are a bit nerdy ;-) Do we care? Not a bit. Can't wait till it is weekend, when I travel to Rotterdam at about 06:00.
Have fun
Fred

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us and i too am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Feel free to ask me or any of the admin team any questions which cant be answered in the faq pages etc.

All the best
Andrew
Containership Admin  :-D

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:23:57 AM »
Welcome from me too, Jamie

Like Phil and Andrew, I will take this opportunity to offer to you advice that should also be of use to other new members.

Below are the words in the first FAQ in the Index reached from the Main Menu on the Home page.  They briefly describes what the site does and how it is organised.

Begin quote
Shipspotting.com is an international web site with more than twenty volunteer administrators (Admins) from more than ten countries across the world. They review all photos submitted, checking for compliance with site standards shown in FAQs. Some help with testing and reviewing new features.

Site standards are determined with criteria that can be met by members with a wide range of experience, camera gear and shipspotting locations. Site standards provide not only an important element of consistent quality control for the site, but a basis for pride by members whose photos are accepted.

The site offers the opportunity to communicate with fellow shipping/photography/computer enthusiasts.

I recommend that you review and regularly refer to this FAQ index. The FAQs cover methods and standards for uploading all photos, member service information, and standards for categories.
End quote

A similar set of statements has been submitted to the new owner.

Best regards
Clyde

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »

Clydee wrote:
I recommend that you review and regularly refer to this FAQ index. The FAQs cover methods and standards for uploading all photos, member service information, and standards for categories.
End quote

A similar set of statements has been submitted to the new owner.

Best regards
Clyde

Just a suggestion for Clyde - would it be possible to flag up via the Forum any changes that are made to the FAQ's so that members do not have to spot the changes?

Regards

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
Welcome to the site,

From me a word of welcome as a fellow member and a warning as well.

Beware, ship-spotting can be addictive  :-) . Make sure you keep an even
balance between the spotting and your family live.

An other word of advice, when you really think to get into this. Start from scratch with categorizing your photos, it will help you in the future.

Have fun,

Ed

P.S. It would be nice if you fill out your profile form (Edit account/uppper left corner).

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
Steve

It is unfortunate that your comment was made in a Forum thread which was full of happy positive remarks.   You not only not only changed the subject, but you inferred that members are not told of FAQ changes and had to go searching for them..

Members are not told of edits of grammar or minor matters of layout or clarification.  They are told of any new or changed matter of substance.

Clyde

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »

Clydee wrote:
Steve

It is unfortunate that your comment was made in a Forum thread which was full of happy positive remarks.   You not only not only changed the subject, but you inferred that members are not told of FAQ changes and had to go searching for them..

Members are not told of edits of grammar or minor matters of layout or clarification.  They are told of any new or changed matter of substance.

Clyde

For heavens sake are you so high and mighty now that you think you have some sort of 'power', who do you think you are talking to?. Have we now  reached the stage where we cannot use the Forum as a Community Discussion area without suiting the Admins - i.e. what they want and do not want to have discussed. This is a further example of yet another Admin attempting to exert their will on what is discussed here - have we lost the ethos of the freedom of speech?

I was responding to YOUR inclusion of a discussion about FAQ's and the fact that I had recently noticed some MAJOR changes in the FAQ's which were far from those described in your reply - speaking here about the FAQ's affecting older photographs.

So before you go into a rant, get your facts straight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk