Author Topic: Coasters or Cargo ships  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Benny Elb

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Coasters or Cargo ships
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:17:03 AM »
hej to you all
I am inside a diskution on coasters and cargo ships, when the coasters and when the cargo, I say it's size and my friend says when the bridge etc are in the rear of the ship, it's coasters please help with a answer
rgds Benny :-x
[color=00FF00]A bird in hand is better than 10 birds on the roof [/color]

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Coasters or Cargo ships
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
Benny,

I am afraid that in terms of vessel construction and size there is no such thing as a "coaster". The term "coaster" was traditionally used in Northern Europe to describe ships whose certificates limited them to particular trading areas, such as Elbe - Brest. It really has little do do with their construction or size as some 400-500 tonne ships traded to West Africa or Eastern Med whilst some 10,000 tonne ships were restricted to coastal limits.

Apart from a few craft engaged in special trades, it is unlikely that the smaller cargo ships of today have such limits imposed on them as they are usually classed for World Wide trade to provide maximum flexibility for their owners.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Coasters or Cargo ships
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
Hi Benny,
have a look on Wikipedia. I have only the German. There I only find totally different explanations for coaster, which had nothing to do with shipping.
Under the word "K

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk