Author Topic: REQ SHEERNESS-VLISSINGEN 1986  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Mark Moran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
REQ SHEERNESS-VLISSINGEN 1986
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
Hello there,

This is kind of a long shot, hope this is OK to post on here, mods please move/remove as appropriate.

I'm trying to trace two ships I sailed on as a boy on a school trip. I know the dates/approx times/shipping lines etc, does anyone out there have archived spotting notes or could point me in the right direction to find out?

24/05/1986 morning/mid day sailing Sheerness - Vlissingen, Olau Line (either Olau Britannia or Olau Hollandia)?
31/05/1986 morning/mid day sailing Vlissingen - Sheerness, again assume either Britannia or Hollandia?

Not expecting miracles, but if anyone is able tie up the above it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers

Mark
[email protected]

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: REQ SHEERNESS-VLISSINGEN 1986
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
Google the ship names, I think you might find the answers...Rgds

Offline Mark Moran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
Thank you Henry, I did various Google searches which is where I narrowed it down to Olau Britannia (1) or Hollandia (1) but nothing as to which ship operated which service on specific days!

I'm guessing given the length of the crossing and times we travelled we would have had one there and the other back (the two ships crossing mid-journey), if all trips ran (allowing for breakdowns/servicing etc)?

Please excuse me if what I've asked has an obvious answer somewhere, I have only a passing interest in ships and am no expert! I'd like to know as I try and keep a log of everything I've travelled on (ships/planes/trains etc).

Cheers

Mark

Offline Simon Olsen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »
Mark

By coincidence I also travelled to Vlissingen on 24 May 1986, en route for three days at Terneuzen. The Vlissingen anchorage was particularly busy due to a strike in Antwerp - following the end of the strike, traffic on the Sunday was also heavy.

I only keep a record of vessels photographed, however I took OLAU HOLLANDIA (IMO 7928811) outbound on the late morning sailing from Sheerness on 2 April 1986 so would assume she was on the 24 May day sailing.

regards                                                                                                     Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk