Author Topic: IMO  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
IMO
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi, I recently joined Shipspotting but after registration found that I could not post messages due me not having an IMO. Could someone please tell me what this is and how Ican get one?
Thanks.

Re: IMO
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:11 PM »
Hi Sandy

Welcome to the site - probably best to read the FAQ's before you commence uploading as it will save a lot of potential angst  :-)

Specifically on the IMO question - take a look at the guidance @ http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=1#q134

Regards(Post #1)

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »
Thanks Ellwood, I'm starting to see the picture. I though that IMO might have stood for International Mariners Organisation or something similar and you needed a membership number so as you can see I'm a complete amateur. I am wondering whether this is a sutable site for my photos. In the sixties and seventies I took a number of photos of ships and now that I have retired wish to show them somewhere but for most of them my recollections of them are pretty slim. If all I can say is "Tug in Saigon River - 1972" is that enough? And would viewers be interested in the first place. I get the feeling that this site is for the interest of those serving or have served in more modern ships. Would there be interest in a black and white photo of  "Dredger Townsville Harbour 1973" for instance?
Thanks for your interest, Sandy

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Thanks Ken. Please see my reply to Ellwood as that about sums up where I am with all of this. Although perhaps you can advise as to what number is used for warships?

Regards, Sandy.

(I'll try and post a photo now anyway and see what happens).

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
Hi Ellwood,

I hope that I'm not being a nuisance but perhaps you could explain another matter. I posted a photo of the dredger Townsville but inadvertently selected a poor print with many defects. (I used the seven zeroes for an IMO). However when I attempted to post a better quality photo it was rejected, saying"Picture dimensions are not within limits 1302 x 750. Allowed sizes are between 1024 x 768 and 4000 x 4000.
What does this mean? I scan the photos or slides from  a HP C7180 via HP's program into PIcasa 3 where I either crop them or not but export them into "My Pictures" from where I select them after pressing "Browse" on the  Shipspotting.com site. How can I adjust these numbers? Thanks again.

How

Offline Rick Vince

• Top Poster
  • Saludos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
HI Sandy, I do not normally reply to much on Shipspotting, preferring to just post and look at photos...  but having just seen your photo of the 'Townsville' and read your thoughts about whether anybody would be interested in your photos- I think I am 100% safe in saying ''YES PLEASE".  There are enthusiasts aboard here, for all manner of ship, deck & engineering photos and data.
So, please do not hesitate to post your photos - they are invaluable and probably unique - especially as the 'Townsville' has gone to the great breakers in the sky!
Good luck and regards,
Rick

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
Hi Ken,

I'm starting to come to grips with this business now and have posted several images in the Dredgers section. Some were rejected due to being too large - "Picture limits are not wthin limits..." Don't understand this but will work it out.
I'll try to post some tugs now.

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
Thanks Rick, I have posted some more shots of the Townsville - and have quoted the IMO number you provided. I'll try some tugs now.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Hi Sandy,

Just to echo Rick's comments, there are plenty of people here who enjoy old photos of ships (or photos of old ships, whichever way you look at it :-)). If you can't remember, or do not know the name of the ship, that's fine. Simply submit  your photos to the mystery ships category, with some relevent information including place and approximate date and It's quite possible that someone will identify the ship for you.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Brgds
Phil

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

sandy1000 wrote:
Hi Ellwood,

I hope that I'm not being a nuisance but perhaps you could explain another matter. I posted a photo of the dredger Townsville but inadvertently selected a poor print with many defects. (I used the seven zeroes for an IMO). However when I attempted to post a better quality photo it was rejected, saying"Picture dimensions are not within limits 1302 x 750. Allowed sizes are between 1024 x 768 and 4000 x 4000.
What does this mean? I scan the photos or slides from  a HP C7180 via HP's program into PIcasa 3 where I either crop them or not but export them into "My Pictures" from where I select them after pressing "Browse" on the  Shipspotting.com site. How can I adjust these numbers? Thanks again.

How

As you are using Picasa to edit your photographs you can re-size them within that program - check out the help file @ http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13821

Regards (Post#2)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »

sandy1000 wrote:
Thanks Ken. Please see my reply to Ellwood as that about sums up where I am with all of this. Although perhaps you can advise as to what number is used for warships?

Regards, Sandy.

(I'll try and post a photo now anyway and see what happens).

Warships do not have IMO numbers - therefore when uploading just click the button for "Not Relevant".

Regards (Post#3)

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »

sandy1000 wrote:
Hi Ken,

I'm starting to come to grips with this business now and have posted several images in the Dredgers section. Some were rejected due to being too large - "Picture limits are not wthin limits..." Don't understand this but will work it out.
I'll try to post some tugs now.

The answer is in the FAQs - check out  http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=12#q15

1. Resolution (image size) must be between 1024 x 768 pixels and 4000 x 4000 pixels.

2. File size maximum is 4000 KB (actually less than 4 meg)

Regards (post#4)

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
Personally, I prefer old ships to new ones! New ships completely lack the elegance of the old ones. It doesn't really matter if it's cargo or passenger vessels, they just looked better in the old days. Back then, style was much more important! Today, everything is box shaped to speed up production...

And as mentioned above, if you do us the favor of uploading some of these old pictures, maybe someone will do you the favor of identifying the ships for you!

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Thanks Steve - I'm almost there with sorting it all out. Help much appreciated.
Regards, Sandy

Offline Geoffrey Green

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Thanks for all of your advise Ellwood.

Regards, Sandy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk