Author Topic: Slide Digitiser  (Read 3194 times)

Offline David Brown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • WSS Mid Essex
Slide Digitiser
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
I have a quantity of slides of ships dating back to the 70s that I would like to scan into digital. There seem to be a large number of slide/film scanners on the market all of which seem to have mixed reports of their quality and capability. Can anyone suggest a "good buy"?

Offline Paul Sullivan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Slide Digitiser
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
After looking into allot of different types and prices, I finally bought a Canon CanoScan 8800F. It comes with Adobe Photo shop essentials so you can re-touch and adjust the images after you have scanned them. It also does a great job on photographs. I got one for under $200 USD, and have been very happy with the results. Price varies quite a bit on-line but don't pay over $200.

Regards,  

Paul

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
I echo Paul's statement. I have the predecessor 8500F from Canon and it's a very good all-round scanner, though it's not the fastest when it comes to slides. If you want faster performance, there are dedicated silde scanners out there but I've never owned one and I'm no expert, but I believe they are pricey.

In any case I look forward to you posting your 1970s shots here  :-)

Cheers
Phil

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »
Hi,
I have the older model Cano Scan 8600 F since 2 years and I scanned 100s of Slides, negatives, prints and even old fotoplates form the 20s (unfortunately no ships only pictures form my grandparents and their parents)
Gerolf

Offline David Brown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • WSS Mid Essex
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Thank you Paul, Phil & Gerolf for your input.
I have read so many reports and reviews on scanners of all types over the past couple of months that one almost looses track. However most seem to favour the Canon 8800F even if a little slow, so I have now purchesed one. Once I get going I will hopefully be able to upload some to shipspotting.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk