Author Topic: Majestic Maersk  (Read 8655 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Majestic Maersk
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
After discharging at Felixstowe and departing on 21.01.10, the majestic maersk has been at anchor at the Sunk anchorage ever since. The Maersk website has no information on why the vessel has been at anchor for so long and she is not included in any schedules. Does anyone have any information ?

Offline alanp

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Majestic Maersk
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »
She has a schedule for April Bremerhaven 05/04  Singapore 29/04.

A lot of the lines have been pulling tonnage out of the loops to save money and push up rates with the shortage of slots available. It is almost impossible to load a container from Far East ports at the moment because of cronic space issues on europe bound services.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
It would appear that the Majestic Maersk is now back in a loop having departed from the Sunk Anchorage and berthed in Zeebrugge on 13.02.10 at 2010 Hrs.

Offline Milind Balaji

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/milindbalaji
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:52:44 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Majestic Maersk the last of the original "M" Class vessels still sailing under the AP Moller house flag? All others seem to have been sold to Greek or Canadian interests. I wonder how long before she is handed over to new owners....20 years is really pushing the Maersk tolerance limit!
Nice though to see a beautifully maintained, well-built vessel with a little bit of heritage sailing on the seas in an era of somewhat obscure, cookie-cutter designs on the seas.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Milind Balaji

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:57:58 AM »
Just to add to my above post, take a look at this picture of Majestic Maersk from December
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1036457

If this doesnt indicate her fate then I wonder what is....seems like dry docking has really been stretched to the limit, perhaps waiting for new owners to take posession?

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
MSPort,

Almost right :-) There are 3 of this class still sailing under Maersk ownership. MAJESTIC, MARIE  and MAGLEBY. None are committed for sale and, given the dire state of the second-hand containership market, they are unlikely to be sold for further trading anytime soon. The most likely scenario is that Maersk will put them into lay up and / or scrap them.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
I think that many maersk sailors will be happy to see these ships go! They are famous (or more like infamous) for being notoriously unreliable! I don't know if they have earnt their bad reputation, but I have heard many stories from former colleagues who worked on them of how aweful they were to work on!
However, these vessels are actually fairly advanced (For their age) and some of them (can't remember which ones) were fitted with an early version of the waste heat recovery systems being used on the G and PS-class Maersk vessels. And seeing how these vessels are fully paid and quite economical, I think there are other vessels which Maersk will discard of before these old ladies(Like the british flagged B and G class vessels which have turned out to be a huge fiasco).

These vessels might not have served the crews very well, but they have certainly served Maersk pretty well!

Offline Milind Balaji

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18:27 AM »
Phil and BWombat,

Very interesting points. Blue Wombat, I am going to take your word that these girls are a bit of a handful, seems like you work for APM so your word is indeed worth more than most! On the top of your head do you ever recall what issues were on the M sisters? I have seen them stay far longer in the fleet than some in the K, S class so I always assumed they had more of a purpose in the APM fleet. I would put my money on some kind of economical benefit that still lingers after all these years.....which is am gathering was not the case when the last L class were all disposed off fairly on schedule.
BTW, I dont know what you are comfortable sharing on the "fast" B class sisters but what on earth is going on with the entire class being parked in a couple of anchorages in Scotland and Thailand?

Any insight would be most helpful!

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:31 AM »
The M-class vessels are running fairly economical. They have a large but slow revving engine and they have the waste heat recovery system, so they consume relatively less than other ships of similar size.
As to them not being sold, I think the company are very happy with the way they can service the route efficiently and cheaply (and it's hard to get a good price on old and worn down tonnage in this day and age).
As to the K and S vessel, I think they just got a very good deal on the ships they've sold. I worked on Regina, and the maintenance level on that ship was incredible! It literally seemed like a new vessel (without all the teething problems).

Regarding the B-boats, I don't think it is a big secret that they turned out to be spectacularly bad at what they were supposed to do. They were built to compete with the trans american railroad from east to west. Therefore, they are built with a huge engine (Sulzer 12RT-flex96 - same as onboard Emma M

Offline Milind Balaji

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
Superb info on the B class. Thanks. It all makes sense, these vessels seemed to be very "niche", for a specific purpose and were designed accordingly. A rather experiment it now seems. Pity that such an innovative design really lived up to its purpose. I am sure the US sealift command on my side of the Atlanta is a viable option since they really seems to have taken in a few of the old L class for their specific purposes.
Lets just wait and see what thr future brings...I have seen a few pictures taken on board these sisters in Scotland and the crews look pretty bored. Must be terribly boring on board when the plant is shut down and the vessel is essentially "mothballed".

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:02 PM »
Yeah... I wouldn't want that job! A 25 day transit from Asia to Europe can be boring enough with all the equipment running. There is absolutely nothing to do! All machinery has been put into "hibernation". There is nothing to do but to do a little paint work for the deck crew (and chart correcting for the mates :-D ) and then a little turning of pumps, compressors and engines for the engineers. I'm guessing that Beaumont is the only one having generators running.

And I can't even start to imagine all the headaches involved in reviving these ladies once their fate has been decided!

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
New action in Scotland for the B-ships.

The ships - or one of them - is now used as the location for BBC's
adventure game Mission 2110.
Apparently a lot of fun for the maintenance crew, - and some financial
support to the locals as well.
More including links on www.maerskline.com

Niels

Bob Scott

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
As Spotti suggests, the filming of a BBC TV programme on Loch Striven

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
The Majestic Maersk will arrive monday at Rotterdam.
But will not go to the APM terminal Rotterdam
If i click on the webpage of the containercompany and click on the Majestic Maersk see this Hamburg Sud ??
Object name: MAJESTIC MAERSK
Object operator name:  Hamburg Sud
Is she charterd by Hamburg Sud ???
Admin for Containerships

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »
Majestic Maersk is currently now on charter to Hamburg Sud who are deploying her on the Grand Alliance ATX (Atlatixc Express) service.

She is due Southampton 27th February, ports on the service are
Rotterdam   Hamburg   Le Havre   Southampton   New York   Norfolk Charleston

Regards
Andrew
Containership Admin  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk