Author Topic: Miramar Ship Index  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Michael Meredith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Miramar Ship Index
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
As of today, 19 January 2010, the Miramar Index requires registration and an annual fee. The annual fee is set at 20 dollars and ther are various payment options.

Michael Meredith
Admin GCS

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Miramar Ship Index
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
$20 well spent in my mind  :-)  

Regards

Bob

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »
I have found the revised site much faster at searching (within a second) and layout improved. Agreed $20 or

Offline Peter McCracken

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://shipindex.org
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
You may also want to take a look at my site at http://ShipIndex.org . The free database contains over 140,000 vessel references. The premium database contains over 1.24 million references. Miramar may contain more information about current vessels, but you can always find out which vessels are mentioned in the database without subscribing to it.

Yes, I do have a financial interest in this; I can't deny it.

I always welcome comments on content to be added to the database.

Peter Mc

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
Morning

I have met site founder Rodger Haworth several times and he is a most honourable man and enthusiastic about the site, "living in it" almost continually expanding data. He has been posting data in stages which and is now adding owners, increasing value of the site all the time. He has three rooms at his home full of registers and other source material that he is transferring to the site, I guess you could label it as bit of a cottage industry. Like everything costs (well into the thousands of dollars) are incurred that he has been willing to bear for some time, though for the last 2 years has had the support of the NZ Ship & Marine Society. I know he would have thought long and hard about going to this stage with the site and just want to assure he wouldn't have taken his decision lightly. And the fee is quite a token amount I gues she thinking not to make it too much of a barrier. Am sure he will be pleased to read the supportive comments to this change which I will be taking myself once back from holidays.

Cheers

Brent

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
Hi All

This is just a query regarding the security of payment to Miramar by Credit Card.   Apart from 3 purchases from Amazon, which is a secure site, the only time I have used my credit card recently has been for Miramar subscription.  Today I received a call from Halifax card services saying someone had tried to fraudulently use my credit card.    

Has anyone else that has subscribed to Miramar had a problem with their credit card ? -  if not, I suggest you check your credit card statements.

Allan

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
Hi, Allan. I enrolled on day one but have had no problems with credit card .That is nearly a month ago and my card provider are pretty hot on fraud. I ordered two items, identical and less than

Offline Simon Olsen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
Hi Allan

No problems on this occasion (subscribed over 3 weeks ago and Amex statement received today showed no funnies), however the only previous time I have used Paypal, a couple of years back, resulted in attempted fraudulent use of another card, fortunately queried immediately by Natwest.

regards
Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk