Author Topic: What is the tag like (PEC050) on tankers destination ??  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Jesper T Andersen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtashipphoto.com
What is the tag like (PEC050) on tankers destination ??
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »
Hi all.

Has one question to you all, some times when i look on my ship plotter the tag like this (PECxxx) comes one after destination on Tankers
Vinga Safir is right now on her way here to port of Fredericia.

(Destination: FREDERICIA PEC050)

There are also PECxxx behind the destination to other ports here in Scandinavia.

Best regards
Jesper  :-)  :-)  :-)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Re: What is the tag like (PEC050) on tankers destination ??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »
Jesper,
Just a guess but here a PEC is a Pilot Exemetion Certificate, usually held by skippers of dredgers, ferries & shuttle tankers etc that come in and out of ports like Southampton regularly.
Each one has a number which they report to VTS when they are moving without a pilot.
If the tankers you are looking at are regular visitors to those ports, maybe it is that?
Like I saod, just a guess.
Kelvin

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
Hi Kelvin

PEC's can be obtained by both the Master and First mate of a vessel - take a look at the criteria required for the Port of Southampton, bit more to it than simply knowing the Port and being a regular visitor @ http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/pilotage/standards.htm

Regards

Offline Jesper T Andersen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtashipphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
Hi  :-)

Thanks for your help, now i understand the PEC tag.
Will use the link to see more about it.

Best regards
Jesper
 :-)  :-)  :-)

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
I don't know if Southampton has different regulations, but I have worked on a ferry between Denmark and Norway for the last 6 months, and there, all navigational officers were eligible for a PEC.
To get it, you have to have at least 6 full passages (in both directions) for the required farled (the Norwegian coast is divided in different sections called "farled").  Three of these passages have to be between sundown and sunup. Furthermore, you are required to know all the different lights and their characteristics.
Once you have a minimum of six passages, you have to take a test with a pilot onboard, where you have to display your knowledge of a certain part of the Farled. I was eligible for the test, but didn't get around to it as I was on a time limited contract and the PEC is only valid for the vessel you acquire it on, so I don't really have any use for it. I guess something similar is the case for Southampton.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »

kensmith wrote:
 I would have thought goes without saying,

Remember that many members do not have your experience and it is best to fully appraise the facts, or at least that is what it says in my book.

Bob Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
For the sake of complete accuracy, the correct term is, I believe, "Pilotage Exemption Certificate" (not Pilot or Permanent).

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
I think you are correct Bob, however, as a little curiosity, I can tell that even the governments can't fully find out what the acronym stands for! While working onboard the Bergensfjord, I had to send a report to the norwegian "ShipRep" reporting system after loading the ship and part of the report was to inform them of which PECs would be used during passage (which navigator was on duty) and they had it as "Pilot" in one place and "Pilotage" in another. So no wonder if people are confusing the terms a little!  :-)

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »

BobS wrote:
For the sake of complete accuracy, the correct term is, I believe, "Pilotage Exemption Certificate" (not Pilot or Permanent).

Hi Bob

As I say, we can all learn something from this site  :-)

Regards

Bob Scott

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
For many, many years (20-30+), I have been totally familiar with the term "PILOTAGE Exemption Certificate".  
It is an English-language phrase but, since English has become the international language of the shipping industry worldwide, it or its abbreviations may have been corrupted, altered or misusede in various parts of the world but, I can assure you, that PILOTAGE is what the P in PEC  originally stood for.

Pilotage exemption certificates are, I think, a lot easier to get nowadays than they were in the time that I was writing magazine articles about them.
As I remember it, almost the only ships on the Thames that had pilotage exemptions were the

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk