Author Topic: Copyright issue - automatic watermark  (Read 19993 times)

Offline Dmitry Rostopshin

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World of lighthouses
Copyright issue - automatic watermark
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
Regarding latest FAQ issues and photos distribution to 3rd party. It would be nice to add automatic watermark to all photos with shipspotting.com and author name, for clear identification of the photo source after redistribution and so on.
Admin of categories: Buoy/Lighthouse Maintenance % Lightships, Cement Carriers,
Collecting photos of lighthouses

Re: Copyright issue - automatic watermark
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
Hi Derek

I think Dmitry means that a watermark etc be added to any photographs that are downloaded from the site?

Regards

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
Hi Derek

Just trying to be the translator  :-)  

However the software used by Vesseltracker.com does imprint both their web address and also the members copyright notice (content created by the member themselves). So it is possible but please do not ask me how!

Agreed that any watermark imprint can be photochopped out but it could well be the case that if the media are trying for a quick shot of a vessel for an article that they would not have the time to delete the watermark. This would aid the identification of any shots used without permission.

Just a thought especially as the new site is still in the development stage - I assume that AirNav still want members to come up with idea's?

Regards

Offline Dmitry Rostopshin

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World of lighthouses
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
Let's say current copyright marks for thumbnails are:
1. Too easily to crop in editor
2. Looks bad from design point of view.
3. Too annoying  :-)
It should be something light and semitransparent. And this watermark should be available not only in thumbnails, but also in full-size photos.
I don't think that site-holders in this case will waste time to cut it out.
Admin of categories: Buoy/Lighthouse Maintenance % Lightships, Cement Carriers,
Collecting photos of lighthouses

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »
Watermarks will be the last drop for me. I have my doubts since a few months but I am waiting for the new site to come.
I allowed the company I work for to use my photos on their website. With watermarks this makes it impossible for them and I will have to look for another place to put my photos, most probably one of the large servers at my work.
Cheers
Fred

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »
This subject doesn't seem to go away.

I thought this was a commuinity where we each uploaded images for the purpose of allowing others to view our postings and download them for their own use if they wanted to. No need for permission, that's just the way a community works.

In return we can download photos posted by others - it's called sharing.

Defacing photos with a watermark negates the whole concept of this site and like Fred I would be reluctant to bother posting photos if the images I uploaded were essentially ruined without my permission.

The film industry, musicians and software companies are losing millions of dollars through piracy, somehow the potential loss through someone stealing a couple of my photos seems rather insignificant, but then I never took any photos with a view to making money out of them.

Tony

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »
I'm sure there would be software out there that would put a watermark on the image but as a layer. It could be programmed so that the watermark appears on the image when you looking at it as a guest but when you log in the watermark disappears..

I hope what I've written makes some sense...

Kind Regards

Cody

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »

Derek sands wrote:
I think Tony has it right, this is a sharing site.

Watermarking will go against the grain for many but favoured by some.
This site provides the means to upload photos for all to see and share.
Think the only step necessary is that login should be needed
before downloading a photo.
Dare say many will disagree but thats my slant on it.

best regards
Derek

Hi Derek

Not before time if you ask me - its long nagged at me that 'non members' can access the site in the same way as I as a member can. Making it a pre-requisite to join the site as a member before being able to fully use its facilities gets my vote - you never know it may even put off those who download photographs for their own profits.

Regards

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
This has a lot of merit, but if this is the path we follow, could I make the following suggestions.

1. Acceptance is not automatic. If you register there should be say a 24 hour delay before your account is established. This would prevent the media for example, going on to the site and downloading a photo for a news item that has just broken. By the time they can do that, the story will be yesterdays news.

2. Accounts are disabled if they have not been used for a certain period of time and eventually deleted. This will control the number of accounts that have been set up purely for "one-off" downloads.

Regards

Tony

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
Hi Tony.

I totally agree with you suggestion for a 24 hours delay for the use of your account after registration.

Rgds:Hannes.

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »
Yes, good suggestion, Tony!
Gerolf

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »

tonyd wrote:
T2. Accounts are disabled if they have not been used for a certain period of time and eventually deleted. This will control the number of accounts that have been set up purely for "one-off" downloads.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Yes I would imagine that member numbers on the present site are MUCH inflated by members who have joined and logged on once  :roll:

Regards

Offline Gilles Barnichon

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My books
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »
I totally agree with this proposition, too.

Let's go further : acceptance is not automatic AND you have to wait 24 hours before beeing accepted AND you can't download a picture from this site if you don't have already uploaded some pictures to thIs site (let's say maybe 5 pics).

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
There are many shiplovers who are not in the position to upload photos. I disagree with you.

Cheers Fred

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
I agree with Fred as well.

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk