Author Topic: WEBMASTER  (Read 8223 times)

Ken Smith

WEBMASTER
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »
Hi All,

I am sorry to have to report that Derek's health has broken down again, it is a re-occurence of his previous problem, he is in pain and confined to bed and unable to use his computer.

I have spoken to him today and he has asked me to pass this on to you, this problem and also a problem he has with his knee will both at some point in time need operations and with this in mind and also in consideration to his wife and family he has asked me to contact the new site owner to find a replacement Webmaster as he feels he cannot continue in that role.

Derek is going to be a hard act to follow and it is very sad that it has come to this but I am sure you will understand his reason for this decision, the site will not be the same without him at the head, he has always been kind and friendly to  everyone and has helped to solve many problems in spite of sometimes being at his wits end with the Forum.

There is not much else to say at this time but if you need any help or advice you can always contact Andrew McAlpine or myself and you will be kept informed of events.

Kind regards and a Happy New Year to all.

Ken Smith

Re: WEBMASTER
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
Sorry to hear of Dereks problems. did not realize they were that bad, will email him later.
If there is anything I can do Ken just mail me, I am at home all day. :-(

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:57:48 PM »
Indeed this is very sad news and I can only hope that things improve for Derek in 2010.

I think we will all concur that he has been the most level headed and positive influence on this site during some quite turbulent times over the past year or so.

His absence as webmaster will leave a considerable void, so as a long time member can I just suggest that the only way to move forward for all of us as a community is to put a cease to the incessant bickering over insignificant issues and look toward how we can move forward in a positive fashion.

There are many people on this site who make a great contribution, but as it is always the way in life there are many who just try to knock it all down.

Let's hope 2010 can see a new attitude.

Happy New Year, Hogmanay or whatever it is in your language to you all.

But please let us all pull together to make 2010 better.

Cheers
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »
Ken, thanks for letting us know about Derek.  I know all of us appreciate everything that Derek has done, especially in regards to keeping the peace.  With a new site owner this is probably a good time to transition to another webmaster.  And we appreciate what you have done as well.  I know I am for the better for the friends I have met on this site and the discussions we have had.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline HenkR

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »
Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about Dereks health,hope he is fast back on his feets.
As you're said,the site is not the same without him,bring him my regards if you will.
Best wishes and  a good 2010.

Best regards from Flushing,

Henk.

Offline Gilles Barnichon

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My books
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »
Sorry to learn these bad news about Derek's health. We all know the importance of his work for the site and the friendly way he answered our questions and tried to solve problems.

Wish to him a speed recovery. Regards to everybody.

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
Wishing Derek a  quick recovery.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
Sad to hear this and I am wishing Derek a quick recovery and will send him a message too.

He has put alot of effort into this site and best of all, he is one of these people who is able to keep a cool head, even in the case of a hot discussion !! A very rare and very precious ability.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
We are all obviously sadened to hear about Derek's poor health at present.

Derek has been the face of shipspotting, he has kept things together and weathered good and bad times on this site and has always managed to keep everything under control.  Derek has had a number of health issues for some time now and his decison to resign as Webmaster would not have been an easy one.

I want to take this opportunity as a Admin to THANK Derek for all his hard work as the Webmaster of this site.  However I do suggest we back off a bit on emailing him directly as he is currently offline and by the sounds of thing could be for a while and the Last thing we want to do is bombard with hundreds of emails facing him when he gets back online.  I suggest that we all send our thoughts to Derek through this post in the forum.

Wishing you all the best Derek for a speedy recovery.

Glenn
Admin Livestock Carriers
Admin Special Purpose vessels

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=30025
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »
I've only been here a short while, but Derek accepted and encouraged me, and so many other members, to keep contributing to the site and increasing the repertoire of photographs of ships all over the world.

Best wishes for a healthy new year,
Get well soon Derek!

Allan Cameron.
They say that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. :-)

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Hi Ken,
very tragic, Dereks health.
I will miss his advise and encouragement.
In any case I wish him as a good friend all the best for his health and that 2010 will finally turn out well.
Gerolf

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about Derek's health. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Best Regards

Tony

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
I hope it will be a better year for Derek's health and I am sorry to hear that he will not be able to be the webmaster anymore.
My compliments and many thanks for the job done and best wishes for 2010, I hope he recovers quickly.

best regards
Stan

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »
I will urge everyone, new and old to the site to upload correct shots, and if problems should occur(witch they offcourse will), contact the moderators, and behave properly.
And for the moderators, continue with the good job, but keep an open ear for input from the members.

Happy new year and get well, you old fart!

Hello from icecold Norway:

Tomas

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
Having just logged on for the first time in a few days I am very saddened to hear that Derek is again unwell and unable to continue in his role as webmaster. Derek will be a hard act to follow and it's really down to him and his team that shipspotting.com is a much better organised site than it was in the dark days of 2-3 years ago.

Let's hope that we can continue to build on the excellent work that Derek has done and keep the petty bickering and moaning to a minumum :-)

Best wishes to all for 2010.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk