Author Topic: What are your memorable Shipspotting moments of 2009?  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
What are your memorable Shipspotting moments of 2009?
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
What are your memorable Shipspotting moments of 2009?

Mine would have to be sailing into Hobart on the last day of a six day voyage onboard the Windeward Bound. We were just in time for the wooden boat festival, we sailed along side of tall ships like the James Craig, Lady Nelson and The Young Endeavour which made for some fantastic shots and an overall awesome experiance.  :-D

Kind Regards

Cody

Offline Joy Loughnan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What are your memorable Shipspotting moments of 2009?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:05:44 AM »
Managing to be at the right place and at the right time to photograph Maersk Responder and Seven Navica.  I like the big offshore stuff but we don't see too much of it down here.

Also getting some decent photos of my favourite livestock ships, these usually arrive and depart at dark o'clock so to catch one in daylight is a bonus.

Overall it's been a fantastic year for ships in Portland.

Joy

Offline Fotojoe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
Passing the river by car on a sunny day with no camera on board and almost getting a heart-attack seeing a well painted SD 14 in ballast sailing by.....

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »
The most memorable shipspotting moments for me in 2009 was seeing the arrival in Milford Haven of the first cargo of LNG by the TEMBEK during the 20th.March for the South Hook LNG Terminal followed later on the 14th.July by the METHANE LYDON VOLNEY with the first LNG cargo for the Dragon LNG Terminal.

Ian Thomas
Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
For me it has to be the brilliant day out on the River Thames on the 13th June with the Thames Sailing Barge race. A great experience all round.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all.

Regards

Bob

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »
Mine would have to be when the Coastgaurd Tug, Anglian Earl towed the decommisioned French Aircraft Carrier, Clemenceau onto the Tees to be scrapped earlier this year.

Ive also enjoyed photographing the 4 four Jackup rigs which have arrived over the past few months. The Ensco 72, Ensco 101, GSF Britannia & Ensco 70, which was photographed on one of Teesport's survey boats.

All the best for the new year

- Coatham

Offline Chris Fahey

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipsatseaham.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:16:49 PM »
Being on the River Wear on a glorious day when there were four movements (a busy day for the Wear) in 3 hours.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:51:58 PM »
A good week touring Scotland without the fog that spoilt things last year and another dry day in Ijmuiden, Velsen and Amsterdam with my good friend Ed providing the limousine.

Regards

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
In my landlocked state I had so few shipspotting moments during 2009 I would say they all were memorable.
What stands out is a 3 day cruise on Lake Superior, the largest of North America's Great Lakes and seeing a lot of lighthouses up close but no commercial shipping!  My major shipspotting event of the year was a few days spent on the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel watching ships going to and from the Norfolk, Virginia area.  I have especially enjoyed the various postings and communications from my several shipspotting.com friends -- that makes up for the lack of ship spottings. :-D  :-D
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
I had planned to get a routine shot of the cruise ship Sun Princess built 1995 leaving Sydney Harbour, and was surprised and delighted when the James Craig turned up.  

James Craig built in 1874 is now an active heritage item after spending 40 years beached before restoration. As Clan Macleod, for 26 years she plied the trade routes of the world carrying general cargoes during which period she rounded Cape Horn 23 times.

So I got a shot of the contrasting pair under the great hunk of rock called North Head.

Merry Christmas

Clyde

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 12:04:46 AM »
My normal Shipspotting area is the River Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal.  In October my wife and I visited our son and daughter in Sydney and other relatives in Melbourne. Coupled with a stopover en route in Singapore this provided a great opportunity to photograph a wide range of shipping in (for me) totally different locations.  The tourist Harbour Cruise in Singapore is recommended as it plies through the enormous number of ships that are anchored in the harbour.  Merry Christmas to all.  Barry

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
Hi all , my absolute highlight was the 4 weesk cruise with MS Discovery in the Black Sea and Mediteranean with so interesting ports like Istanbul, Sevastopol, Piraeus , La Valletta and Gibraltar.
Special story from Sevastopol. In the afternoon I wanted to do go with the regular ferries through the port. There were different lines (not all of them going through the port) and I failed finding someone to understand my English so that I could choose the correct line. Finally I found 2 guys with a small boat and with "sign language" they  toured me about 1/ 1/2 hours through almost the whole port for 20

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
Being solely interested in ship-spotting and not into photography my TWO most memorable ship-spotting moments are: 1/.  Seeing SAIPEM 7000, IMO: 8501567. on 08.10.09 come over the horizon, at, at  least 20 miles distant, and enter the SW lane of the English Channel, It's a site I'll never forget even at that distance it looked huge.  2/.  Seeing OASIS OF THE SEAS, IMO: 9383936 on 02.11.09 come over the same horizon and enter the SW lane of the English Channel. Another site not to be forgotten.  Both of the vessels were seen from the Dover Patrol Memorial high on the cliffs East of Dover Harbour which is, if the visibility is good, a perfect spot for ship-spotting. On the clearest of days you can almost see into Calais and Dunquerque harbours. Happy Christmas to all.  Regards, JW..

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
My most memorable moment of 2009 is
On the 28 of november i was invited by the captain of the CMA CGM Butterfly 9.700 teu.
It was really great to be for the first time on a containership,

Regards,

Dave
Admin for Containerships

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »
For me, in chronological order, there were two highlights:

1. On May, 15, the christening of "Mein Schiff" here at Hamburg and
2. My first glimpse of lovely Funchal when she passed Gr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk