Author Topic: why Silja Europa is repaired in Gdansk instead of Riga ?...  (Read 3476 times)

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
why Silja Europa is repaired in Gdansk instead of Riga ?...
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
Hi,

Silja Europa arrived on Monday to Remontowa shiprepair yard in Gdansk,
Poland.

The ferry is moored at the quay and it is likely / possible (not sure yet) she
will be docked on Tuesday.

Does anyone know (and would be ready to share here) information on the reasons, why Silja Europa was directed to Gdansk based shipyard after (allegedly) visiting the yard in Riga ?...

Why Riga was not able to help / service the vessel?...

I have heard a rumour that Silja Europa was already in floating dock in Riga,
but Riga's floating dock - according to rumour - was not able to lift the vessel
(too heavy for this dock?...).

Is it true, that Silja Europa has already been floated onto the submerged dock
in Riga and that there was a failed attempt to dock (lift up) the ship?...

Regards,

Peter
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: why Silja Europa is repaired in Gdansk instead of Riga ?...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »
Again...  :-)

Hello,

Is anyone able to confirm or dent that SILJA EUROPA was floated over a submerged floating dock in Riga, but attempts to lift the vessel failed ?...

(in view of... or further to...  the reports given below) ?...

Is there any picture on the web showing SILJA EUROPA in dock in Riga?...

Regards,

Peter

30.11.2009:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Silja Europa has arrived earlier today to Remontowa shiprepair yard in Gdansk, Poland.
> >
> > The ferry is moored at the quay and it is likely / possible (not sure yet) she will be docked tomorrow.
> >
> > Does anyone know (and would be ready to share here) information on the reasons, why Silja Europa was directed to Gdansk based shipyard after visiting the yard in Riga ?...
> >
> > Why Riga was not able to help / service the vessel?...
> >
> > I have heard a rumour that Silja Europa was already in floating dock in Riga, but Riga's floating dock - according to rumour - was not able to lift the vessel (too heavy for this dock?...).
> >
> > Is it true, that Silja Europa has already been floated onto the submerged dock in Riga and that there was a failed attempt to dock (lift up) the ship?...
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter

Tallink to repair Silja Europa in Gdansk instead of Riga

30.11.2009, 09:40

Contrary to reports that Tallink will repair Silja Europa ferry in Riga, the vessel is now heading to Gdansk in Poland.

According to media reports, attempts to place the vessel in dock in Riga failed. Tallink's press spokesperson denied it and said that the company had decided to carry out repair and planned service simultaneously.

Silja Europa was taken to Riga for repairs since there were no vacant docks near Turku that were suitable for repairing such a large vessel.

http://live.balticbusinessnews.com:

Tallink to repair Silja Europa in Gdansk instead of Riga

30.11.2009, 09:40

Contrary to reports that Tallink will repair Silja Europa ferry in Riga, the vessel is now heading to Gdansk in Poland.

According to media reports, attempts to place the vessel in dock in Riga failed. Tallink's press spokesperson denied it and said that the company had decided to carry out repair and planned service simultaneously.

Silja Europa was taken to Riga for repairs since there were no vacant docks near Turku that were suitable for repairing such a large vessel.

Cruise ferry Silja Europa was on her way from Stockholm to Turku, when technical problems occurred on Sunday afternoon. Due to the quick and professional work of the crew and master, there was no threat to people on board or the ship. The ship, which was secured by a tugboat, arrived in Turku a week ago.

Tallink Silja`s newest cruise ferry Baltic Queen has replaced Silja Europa during her extraordinary repair works from 26th of November. The ship took over the usual schedule of Silja Europa, departing from Turku every evening at 20.15 and from Stockholm every morning at 7.10.
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Now I have confirmation that Silja Europa actually has already been towed over a submerged dock in Riga and was probably partially lifted up (but not to become entrirely dry) and afterwards the ship has been floated and towed out of the dock in Riga (thank you for your post on this subject).

However, it is still a mystery - why this happened.
Had the dock not sufficient lifting capacity ?

Anyway... as for repairs update.
Initially the ship was about to leave the yard on Dec 9, however, as the shipowner has extended the scope (the list) of works ordered at the yard, now it seems Silja Europa will rather depart from the yard on Dec 16.

Regards,

P.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
It seems highly unlikely that it is due to insufficient lifting capacity! if the hull fits inside the dock, the dock must have a larger displacement than the ship and thus it should be able to lift the vessel!

Now there might have been some structural limitations to the dock, but it would be very unprofessional by the yard to take on a docking that they hadn't made sure their dock could actually accommodate! The only dock in Riga large enough to accommodate the Silja Europa has 4000 tonnes of surplus lifting capacity and should easily be capable of lifting her clear of the water!

Perhaps a technical malfunction in Riga?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk