Author Topic: SHIP PHOTOS  (Read 5812 times)

Jim Winsor 53

SHIP PHOTOS
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I have recently found out that you can search the internet up,down,backwards,forwards,left,right and sideways and you will possatively not find any other ship photos that compare to this site.I took some time out to give it a try and came up empty...none, nil, noda....thats just the way it is !!! :hammer:

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:53:10 PM »
Vous avez enti

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:51:25 AM »
Those are good reasons why members should be polite to Andre the owner of the site that provides us with opportunities to display our photos and communicate with other enthusiasts.

He needs our activity to attract the visitors and members who make a good target for marketing his Shipping related products.

It should be a good deal for all.  Even if there are initial issues while we get to know each other

Clyde

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:48 AM »
I think I must agree with Jim and the other posters, you have a long way to go to find another site like this one for such a collection of photo,s.
Like any business take over, they all have problems at the start,not everyone agrees with the tactics and I am sure that it is the same with this forum,lets give it a chance then moan after if its not right. :-D  :-D

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

Clydee wrote:
Those are good reasons why members should be polite to Andre the owner of the site that provides us with opportunities to display our photos and communicate with other enthusiasts.

He needs our activity to attract the visitors and members who make a good target for marketing his Shipping related products.

It should be a good deal for all.  Even if there are initial issues while we get to know each other

Clyde

Hi Clyde

Remember that 'courtesy' is a two way street - the site is nothing without the contributions from the membership and the good will of the Admins.

I see courtesy as extending to answering questions that have been asked of the new owner but which remain unanswered.

You say "It should be a good deal for all" - do you have any further information on what 'benefits' members will be able to derive, will it be anything to match the deal that we had with LRF?

Regards

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:26:35 AM »
Hi Steve

I have no information about future deals.

I am prepared to wait and see while the mechanics of  site migration (I like that description) are completed.

But if I was the man who had kept alive a site that clearly had real financial and operating  problems, I would respond more favourably to politeness and patience than to rudeness.  From our point of view it is more than a question of manners and words.  It is simply good sense to recognise reality.

If we don't like what we see, we can try and migrate ourselves and our photos.  I am sure Andre would have worked that out and will act in our interests in order to act in his own interest.

Regards
Clyde

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »

Clydee wrote:
Hi Steve

I have no information about future deals.

I am prepared to wait and see while the mechanics of  site migration (I like that description) are completed.

But if I was the man who had kept alive a site that clearly had real financial and operating  problems, I would respond more favourably to politeness and patience than to rudeness.  From our point of view it is more than a question of manners and words.  It is simply good sense to recognise reality.

If we don't like what we see, we can try and migrate ourselves and our photos.  I am sure Andre would have worked that out and will act in our interests in order to act in his own interest.

Regards
Clyde

Hi Clyde

Do you really think that the new owners bought the site for purely philanthropic reasons?, no, this is commercially driven.

So the site was in financial and operating difficulties - then why on earth did the previous owner come to the membership to see if funding and technical assistance could be given. Its odd that the fist we hear about these 'problems' is when there is a belated announcement that the site has been sold. Anyway, that is in the past.

Not sure if you are suggesting that if we don't like the current position that we can delete our photographs and move them elsewhere - a bit like if you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen?

You mention 'politeness and patience than to rudeness' - from what i can see there has been very little in the way of rudeness so am surprised that you have included that term. Do the Admin Team want to have the Forum devoid of any questions/comments on the way the site is heading - again I see this as a move away from the Community Spirit that was this site before the change in hands.

Regards

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
Hi Steve

I have nothing to add to what I have previously said in this thread.

Regards
Clyde

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »

Clydee wrote:
Hi Steve

I have nothing to add to what I have previously said in this thread.

Regards
Clyde

And who said the art of conversation was dead  :-)

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
while flickr is certainly nothing compared to shipspotting there is still a large amount of groups within flickr dedicated to shipspotting and the quality of photos is generally quite good. worth a look anyway.
Fergal

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »

shipshots wrote:
while flickr is certainly nothing compared to shipspotting there is still a large amount of groups within flickr dedicated to shipspotting and the quality of photos is generally quite good. worth a look anyway.
Fergal

Hi Fergal

Vesseltracker is also worth a look - http://www.vesseltracker.com

Regards

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »

Derek sands wrote:
Hi Steve

Especially as a lot of their contributors are photo stealers!
Many have been taken from this site!

Did you get the two emails I sent you?

regards
Derek

Hi Derek

Equally this site has also had its fair share of that nefarious activity, it's something that anyone who operates a site will find it almost impossible to prevent - only way would be for every contributor to use a digital watermark.

Yes, received both mails and thanks for taking those points up on my behalf.

Regards

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »

Derek sands wrote:
Hi Steve,

Yes this site has its problems to with copyright but we are fairly swift to
do something about it. You are correct a digital watermark is good but can be an expensive item I think?

best regards
Derek

Yes, lots of

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:47:59 PM »
Hi Steve,
I agree with the others that  shipspotting is the best site concerning community, number of photos on quality and I still feel the community sense on this site despite the rumours during the change of owners. And I will miss this site, if it should disappear.
So just lets communicate what we expect in the future form the new owners and lets give them chance to proove, that they will keep the site in the sense before the swap. Of course the qualtiy of that site only will continue with all the actual active members, the posters, the contributers of interesting informations, the mysteries solvers and of course the admins.
So lets stick together to keep this fabulous site alive.
Gerolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk