Author Topic: Not easy to be a Southampton pilot these days ... MAIB report  (Read 8224 times)

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Not easy to be a Southampton pilot these days ... MAIB report
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »
Well, .. this thread has developed some signs of "directional instability". In the case of ships this may be either good or bad, depending on the type of ship, I learned from the report.
Whereas issues like the Becker High Performance Rudder (apparently only under certain conditions), transverse thrust, and bow thruster effect at speeds over 5 knots may be going too much in detail, I find that the concept of Bridge Resource Management deserves some general interest. Especially as the MAIB report refers to five other incidents/collisions where poor BRM has been a contributing factor.
And further MAIB states: "during this investigation anecdotal evidence was received indicating that around 75% of bridge teams have a neutral or negative effect on the pilots' ability to carry out their duties. And only 25% actually assist them." (page 43). So to my mind this is interesting, however, it will maybe need a new thread.

Niels

Re: Not easy to be a Southampton pilot these days ... MAIB report
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 08:15:25 AM »

spotti wrote:
Well, .. this thread has developed some signs of "directional instability". In the case of ships this may be either good or bad, depending on the type of ship, I learned from the report.
Whereas issues like the Becker High Performance Rudder (apparently only under certain conditions), transverse thrust, and bow thruster effect at speeds over 5 knots may be going too much in detail, I find that the concept of Bridge Resource Management deserves some general interest. Especially as the MAIB report refers to five other incidents/collisions where poor BRM has been a contributing factor.
And further MAIB states: "during this investigation anecdotal evidence was received indicating that around 75% of bridge teams have a neutral or negative effect on the pilots' ability to carry out their duties. And only 25% actually assist them." (page 43). So to my mind this is interesting, however, it will maybe need a new thread.

Niels

Hi Niels

Not unusual for a thread on this Forum to go off at a tangent, however if you gathered some additional knowledge then that is an added bonus  :-)

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk