Author Topic: Will photos remain on the site indefinitely?  (Read 9984 times)

Clyde Dickens

Will photos remain on the site indefinitely?
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »
Derek Sands has approved the publication of a FAQ titled

Re: Will photos remain on the site indefinitely?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »
Hi Clyde

Seems a reasonable proposal, shame it wasn't in place a few weeks ago when I had some dealings with the deletion of an 'old photo'.

One thing that I think needs amplifying is:

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »
Faq, looks Fair and is good to have.
Steve's comes forward with an interesting question as well.

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »
Hi Steve,
one of the reasons this FAQ was made, was your problem, I think.
And we discussed this FAQ in the admin forum many times.
So just lets try it and see how it works.
Imporvement always will be possible.
Kind regards
Gerolf

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »

Gedre wrote:
Hi Steve,
one of the reasons this FAQ was made, was your problem, I think.
And we discussed this FAQ in the admin forum many times.
So just lets try it and see how it works.
Imporvement always will be possible.
Kind regards
Gerolf

Hi Gerolf

Well unfortunately us mere mortals were not included within those discussions, so whatever was discussed is behind curtains. However if you read my reply it actually says that I think the plan is a good one.

I asked a straightforward question on one point, agreeing in principle to the rest. Surely I am entitled to that as a member?

Regards

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
Hi Derek

Thanks for the reply - that's all I was after.

Can we have an assurance that the photographs that are going to be potentially  'culled' will remain in the Photos Considered for Deletion Category until they have indeed gone through 'two pair of eyes' and that the member has had the opportunity to react to the proposed deletion. It appears that in many instances the proposed photographs is deleted as soon as the second pair of eyes agrees - albeit an email going out but too late to prevent the deletion.

Just seeking clarification here Derek, not trying to start a protracted argument
 :-)  

Regards

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »

Ellwood wrote:
Hi Derek

Thanks for the reply - that's all I was after.

Can we have an assurance that the photographs that are going to be potentially  'culled' will remain in the Photos Considered for Deletion Category until they have indeed gone through 'two pair of eyes' and that the member has had the opportunity to react to the proposed deletion. It appears that in many instances the proposed photographs is deleted as soon as the second pair of eyes agrees - albeit an email going out but too late to prevent the deletion.

Just seeking clarification here Derek, not trying to start a protracted argument

Regards

Any chance of a reply to this question,Derek or one of the other Admins?, I would have thought it is an easy one to answer as according to Gerolf it has been fully discussed by the Admins?

Regards

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
I don't mind if photographs are going to be deleted but I am sick of Admins sending me an email saying a photograph will be deleted for whatever reason and then by the time I go online (In the last case within 15 seconds of receiving the email) and the photograph has already been deleted!

Will implies it is going to be sometime in the future.

Next time please use HAS and save me the effort of wondering what the photograph was!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

mattmar wrote:
I don't mind if photographs are going to be deleted but I am sick of Admins sending me an email saying a photograph will be deleted for whatever reason and then by the time I go online (In the last case within 15 seconds of receiving the email) and the photograph has already been deleted!

Will implies it is going to be sometime in the future.

Next time please use HAS and save me the effort of wondering what the photograph was!

Hi Richard

Yes it does seem to be a 'strange' situation when you are notified about something that may happen but in reality has actually happened.

I recall the days when Admins would simply delete a photograph if it didn't cut muster against the Site Standards. This led to a lot of complaints from disgruntled members and as a consequence the 'Deletions Process' was devised (following the 2008 Rotterdam Meeting) to introduce some transparency to the proceedings.

Do the Admins not send a thumbnail of the proposed deletion to the member so that they know which photograph is under consideration - I thought that was the system - can one of the Admins confirm please?

Of course the current site software does not allow for a photograph to be replaced, i.e. through the edit function, so if a shot was 'poor' then it couldn't be replaced as it could in the past. However it would save a lot of time if the shot was displayed to the member.

Would a 'better' system not be for the 'offending photograph to be left in the Deletions Category for say 7 days so that the member could establish and recognise the shot in question?

Regards

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »
Hi Steve, and all

Following are extracts from the email messages that appear to have provoked a reopening of this thread

Clyde said

I regret to inform you that the attached image will be deleted from the website

Richard replied

Will implies it is going to be deleted

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:10:54 AM »
Hi Clyde

Thanks for clarifying that a thumbnail is sent with the email - at least that allows the member to know which shot is to be deleted and enables them to upload an 'acceptable' contribution - as I said in my last post, you cannot now simply change the photograph via the edit tool - perhaps something for the new site to re-introduce that function as by allowing a substitute photograph any original information uploaded will be safeguarded.

Regards

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:01 AM »
Steve,

I think that your suggestion the photograph be deleted 7 days after notification of the member is a good one - at least it would have given me the time to realise that the Admin has misidentified the IMO number of this particular ship (I posted the original well before IMO numbers were required - and the name has been used with gay abandon by charterers!) and therefore this shot was the only one on the site of this particular ship in the livery in which I photographed it.

Richard.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »

mattmar wrote:
Steve,

I think that your suggestion the photograph be deleted 7 days after notification of the member is a good one - at least it would have given me the time to realise that the Admin has misidentified the IMO number of this particular ship (I posted the original well before IMO numbers were required - and the name has been used with gay abandon by charterers!) and therefore this shot was the only one on the site of this particular ship in the livery in which I photographed it.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Thinking about this again - provided a thumbnail is sent to the member  then perhaps it is in order for the shot to be deleted. The rationale here is that it has been considered as being non compliant with Site Standards by two pairs of eyes and in any case the shot cannot be replaced against the original entry (i.e. as I pointed out earlier, the software doesn't NOW allow for a edit to upload a different photograph file to replace the one in question).

I think if we did have a situation where the member was allowed to replace the 'offending shot' that the 7 day 'rule' would be a good idea, however as things currently stand I don't think it necessary.

I must add that i am dead against the deletion of any photograph if it is the ONLY example on the site - that is inexcusable and is a case of throwing history out of the window!

Regards

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
It is perhaps unfortunate that my protection software has decided that Clyde is a Spammer and therefore deleted the attachment before it got to me so I didn't even realise there was an attachment until the second email and by that stage it was too late to retrieve the image.

Interesting that the Admin comment was that photograph was of poor quality yet that particular image has been purchased by three companies!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk