Author Topic: Arctic Sea found in San Sebastian  (Read 24242 times)

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Arctic Sea found in San Sebastian
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
lloyds List has just reported that a vessel with the same characteristics as Arctic Sea has been found in the small spainish port of San Sebastian.

This report has apparently come from the Russian news agency RIA Novosti but has not been indepentaly confirmed as yet.

in a further development the local Port Authority has strongly denied that the vessel is berthed in its waters.

Lets hope it is a happy end to this saga.

Regards
Andrew

Offline Andy Walker

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Sea found in San Sebastian
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
Lloyds list now reads:

Spanish port authority denies Arctic Sea is in harbour

David Osler - Thursday 13 August 2009

A SPANISH port authority has officially denied claims by Russia

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »
MOSCOW, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Russia's navy is following a ship near Gibraltar similar to the merchant vessel that disappeared last month after passing through the English Channel, the editor of a shipping journal said on state television on Thursday.
   "I have just learned from a defence ministry source that the frigate Ladny is right now pursuing a ship similar to the Arctic Star in the Atlantic just south of Gibraltar," Mikhail Boytenko, editor of Russia's Sovfracht maritime journal, told the Vesti-24 news channel.

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »
MOSCOW, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Russia's navy on Thursday denied reports that one of its frigates was following a ship in the Atlantic Ocean similar to the merchant vessel which disappeared last month after passing through the English Channel.
   Mikhail Boytenko, editor of Russia's Sovfracht maritime journal, told the Vesti-24 news channel that the navy's frigate, Ladny, was pursing a similar vessel south of Gibraltar.
   "This information is based on the personal views of a private individual and is untrue," a spokesman for Russia's navy said.
   The Kremlin has ordered Russian warships to join the hunt for the 4,000-tonne, 98-metre bulk carrier Arctic Sea, whose mysterious fate has baffled national maritime authorities across Europe and North Africa.
   The Maltese-registered vessel, carrying a cargo of timber worth $1.3 million, was supposed to have docked on Aug. 4 in the Algerian port of Bejaia.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
Must say that is irresponsible reporting by Lloyds - OBVIOUSLY they have NOT checked out all sources as is usually required in good journalism before publishing. How this type of thing must affect the crews families is beyond belief!

Regards

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
I guess she is just somewhere between the English channel and Gibraltar (or as they reported perhaps already near Gibraltar) after suffering engine + communication problems.

On AIS Live her last position is normally not necessary THE point where ships are coming out of range of AIS receivers.

Let's wait and see when she shows up.
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline Julian de Lucas

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/tambucho70
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
Hi,
Right now in the port of Pasajes,near San Sebastian, there are two ships of Russian flag:VOLGA-35 and BALTIYSKIY-107,but nor sign of ARCTIC SEA.
Obviusly is an error.
Obviously Lloyds List has not confirmed it before publishing it.

Regards,Julian
HAY CURA, NO PAGA

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
Let's not be too hasty in blaming Lloyds List. The article I read  clearly mentioned that the report of her being in San Sebastian was unconfirmed and that the Port Authority had denied the ship was there.

P

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »

phil wrote:
Let's not be too hasty in blaming Lloyds List. The article I read  clearly mentioned that the report of her being in San Sebastian was unconfirmed and that the Port Authority had denied the ship was there.

P

Come on Phil, Lloyds List  badge themselves as "Excellence and Integrity for 250 years". Hardly a shining example of 'Excellence' to publish something that is 'unconfirmed' and clearly being denied by one major source, i.e. The San Sebastian Port Authority.
I would suggest that the sloppy manner of reporting in these circumstances where the obvious intention is to create some sort of 'sensationalism' is far from showing any 'Integrity', indeed the opposite.

Again I would make the point that there are 15 families out there who are holding their breath to learn any piece of information on the Arctic Sea and such incorrect journalism is of no benefit to those folk!

Regards

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
Steve,

I am wondering if you actually read the same report as I did. The reporting of rumour in the shipping industry is nothing new and an accepted part of journalism. Provided it is not stated as fact - which it wasn't in this case - I see no problem.. In fact it is sometimes extremely challenging to get the full facts for even simple, unremarkable maritime stories, let alone something as bizarre as this, so the reporting of something provided to Lloyds in good faith is not sloppy at all, just part of the wider vagaries of the shipping business.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »

phil wrote:
Steve,

I am wondering if you actually read the same report as I did. The reporting of rumour in the shipping industry is nothing new and an accepted part of journalism. Provided it is not stated as fact - which it wasn't in this case - I see no problem.. In fact it is sometimes extremely challenging to get the full facts for even simple, unremarkable maritime stories, let alone something as bizarre as this, so the reporting of something provided to Lloyds in good faith is not sloppy at all, just part of the wider vagaries of the shipping business.

Hi Phil

So in your book it is acceptable to say something along the lines of "The Arctic Sea is reported in Port but the Port Authority say it is not - please Mr Reader, make up your own mind" - sounds like something that would be run by the 'red tops' and not an organisation that badges itself on Excellence and Integrity - has the media lost the ability to report 'facts', judging from this example the answer is YES.

Regards

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Steve,

I really don't see the problem. They reported it as rumour and explicity mentioned the denial. If anything, it is people on forums like this who have not read the full story and placed misleading posts.

I don't really wish to argue, but it seems that you are taking the typical view of the man on the street who has little understanding of the shipping industry and how information is circulated (or not circulated) within this sometimes quirky business.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Hi Phil

Not sure how you would know anything about my background - you might actually be surprised if you did know. That aside, I really do take truck with this attitude you seem to exhibit that anyone who is 'allegedly' outside of the industry shouldn't comment - last time I looked this site is based on 'freedom of speech'.

Regards

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
You can say what you damn well like, but it doesn't mean that I, or anyone else, has to agree with you.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

phil wrote:
You can say what you damn well like, but it doesn't mean that I, or anyone else, has to agree with you.

Dear me, I seem to have hit a nerve!

I simply put forward an observation, I'm certainly not wishing to have anyone agreeing with me, that is their personal choice, as I say - Freedom of Speech, or is this to be an 'Industry Insider Only' participation site!

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk