Author Topic: HMAS Ballarat & Sydney Visit St. John's, Newfoundland  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
HMAS Ballarat & Sydney Visit St. John's, Newfoundland
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »
Apparently both vessels have visited St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada today. I was listening to the local news via the internet from here in Houston and was able to see the vessels on the webcam. I assume some of the St. John's shipspotters will be posting them soon enough. The newspaper article stated this was the first ever visit of Australian naval vessels to St. John's. I'd be curious to verify that, wondering if Australia participated in the Battle of the Atlantic, where more that a few convoys started in St. John's. A short article from the Evening Telegram http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=266804&sc=79
and some video here: http://www.cbc.ca/nl/ondemand/?playlistId=5088191da904ab7f4ef4764ce5422e3d192428fc&videoId=6597828

Offline navig8

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: HMAS Ballarat & Sydney Visit St. John's, Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:31:08 AM »
I think that it probably is the first visit by RAN vessels to St Johns. During WWII, the RAN Ships served mainly in the Mediterannean, Red Sea before being recalled to Australia to face the Japanese. From there on, Australian ships served mainly in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, and SE Asia, mainly with the USN including Leyte Gulf, the Solomon Islands, New Guinea and northwards through the islands to Japan. There were some Australian Navy personnel involved in the Battle of the Atlantic, but they served on British not  Australian Ships.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HMAS Ballarat & Sydney Visit St. John's, Newfoundland
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Good Day,

I have posted photos of both vessels departing St. John's today July 8, 2009. Also visiting was the HMCS Ville De Quebec and the tug Glenevis.

Regards
Dean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk