Author Topic: 1952-built United States - Terms of sale revealed  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
1952-built United States - Terms of sale revealed
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »
"Historical Ocean Liner "SS UNITED STATES", LOA : 990' (301.75m), Beam : 101.5' (30.94m), Built : USA 1952, Propulsion : Geared Steam Turbine, GRT/NRT (as built) : 53,330 / 29,465. Vessel is inspectable (sic) at Philadelphia where it has been moored since 1996. All areas above the engine rooms have been stripped-out while engine and machinery rooms remain mainly intact. Propellers have been removed from the shafts and are stowed on deck. Lifeboats and all outfitting have been removed. Sale is for non-demolition only and "as is/where is". Sale is restricted to U.S.citizens or U.S. entity buyers. The vessel is currently registered on the United States National Registry of Historic Places. Asking price is USD 5,000,000 All details and information are about, given in good faith, but without any guarantee whatsoever of accuracy or completeness."

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: 1952-built United States - Terms of sale revealed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:41 PM »
Hi Jens
Interesting post, $5.000.000 for what?  you are going to need megabucks to even start putting her back as she was.
Hate to think what she looks like below the water line after 10 years,
come to think of it hate to think what she looks like inside after 10 years plus since used, mind would not mind a look  inside as I bet it's like the 'Mary Celeste'!.
Regards
Mike :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
Hi Mike,

I'd say it's $5,000,000 for a rusty hull...
She'd been better off if they'd sent her to the scrapyard in 1969.
I don't think anyone will (and is able to) spend the money needed to put her back as she was.

My guess is that she will change hands a few more times (bought by people with ambitious plans who then realize they'll never get the money to refurbish her). And as her condition is deteriorating all the time... well... I hope that someday soon someone puts an end to this seemingly never-ending farce.
She doesn't deserve this...

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Hi Jens

I agree with you 100%.  She deserves much better.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »
Hi David,

I'd say she would have deserved much better. But in my opinion now it's far too late...
I don't see how a future owner will ever squeeze a dollar, pound, yen, euro or whatever of profit out of her with the amount of money needed to bring her back to life. (A sum we most probably can't even imagine...)
No one's going to buy her just for fun. So, though it gives me a sting, I think she should now be scrapped... :-(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk