Author Topic: What is the name for the base that will allow helicopter land on the ship?  (Read 20373 times)

Offline SIMON SIA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://marinengineer.weebly.com
What is the name for the base that will allow helicopter land on the ship?
Do anyone have any standard dimension or source regarding this? Cos i m doing a General arrangement for my ship which i don't have the dimension of the place that allow helicopter to descend upon it.

Re: What is the name for the base that will allow helicopter land on the ship?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »

simons wrote:
What is the name for the base that will allow helicopter land on the ship?
Do anyone have any standard dimension or source regarding this? Cos i m doing a General arrangement for my ship which i don't have the dimension of the place that allow helicopter to descend upon it.

Helideck (Heli Deck) - if you search using www.google.co.uk using either as a search term you will find a lot of information on the Internet. I assume you are building a model ship?

Regards

Offline alshial00

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Not many commercial merchant vessels allow helicopters to land on the deck, as they are not deigned for this structurally. In addition the regulatory requirements are more onerous. You may be referring to the deck markings for drop and pick up. OCIMF have a guide for helicopter operations and this may help you.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Actually a good many merchant ships have helidecks. Most, if not all, are offshore service vessels, especially those which are involved in offshore construction and maintenance. This is because vessels like this are likely to be stationed at sea for long periods at a time and crews / supplies need to be embarked and disembarked regularly.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
As Phil mentioned, there are quite a few offshore vessels with helipads. However, several capesized bulkers and supertankers have helicopter landing zones too as they exchange crews and receive stores while at sea, especially around Cape of Good Hope. Hoisting crews and stores would be WAY to dangerous! The easiest way to know if it is a helideck or a winch zone is to look at the markings. If the area is marked with a giant "H", then it is a helicopter landing zone, if it is marked with a "Winch only" it is a winch only area and helicopters are not allowed to land there (strangely enough :-) )!

A good book with all the rules and regulations are published by ICS, it's quite expensive (like

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
Good reply, Bluewombat ,I thought the yellow H was only for winch operations, you have opened my eyes.

Brian :  :-)

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
There is another feature of a helideck you should be familiar with and that is what type of helicopter is allowed to land on the vessel. Normally this information is painted on the helideck at a size proscribed by the rules the vessel is built to.

For example, below is a 20/62 symbol which indicates a 20 t capability with a maximum 62 foot diameter circle from the main rotor fwd rotating tip to the rotating aft vertical rotors. It should be noted this particular helideck is on a mat type jackup, which normally can have a higher loading capability than a vessel.

If you want a good standard then try:http://www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/guidance/helideck.pdf

Offline tropic maritime images

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
G'day All,

In Australia, the ports of Port Hedland, Dampier, Newcastle, Gladstone and Mackay/Hay Point use land on helicopters for the majority of marine pilot transfers. The pilots used for passage through the Great Barrier Reef at Hydrographer's passage also use land on helicopters. In all of these ports, helicopters are the norm, with the pilot launch only used in cases of adverse weather (normally fog, as the boats have to cease operations before the helicopter due to wind, sea state, etc.), for tankers or other vessels unsuitable for helicopter operations.

I personally have landed on cargo vessels from Capesize down to "gracht" type vessels. As long as the vessel can supply the required clearance from cranes, staunchions, deck cargo, etc, has the structural strength to support a helicopter (<3t generally in MPT operations), has the required safety equipment and a properly trained emergency party, then there is no reason to subject the marine pilot to the more hazardous option of a launch transfer.

We sometimes have vessels (including capes and panamaxes) refusing to permit helicopter transfers due to their hatches being "winch only". The weight of water in a reasonable sea breaking over the hatch weighs a damn sight more than a helicopter landing. These vessels generally are not invited back for further cargoes.............

Cheers,
tropic

I have also landed on offshore vessels, and yep, they can be very interesting to land on due to the higher position of the helideck and the requirement to take the vessel's heave into consideration as well and pitch and roll.

Australian regulations HERE.

Offline Christian Br

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
On the shuttle tanker Gerd Knutsen we can allow the Agusta Westland AW139 and Agusta A109E Power (http://www.lufttransport.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=14) to land on deck. But the bigger Sikorsky birds they use for crew change on the platforms in th North Sea (at least on Norwegian sector) are to big/heavy.

To get a kind of impression on how it looks, follow the links!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCck94CIhKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yTUPdt0xSY

Brgds
Christian!
Be Prepared! :-)
Alltid Beredt!

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
As far as I remember, a Winch zone has to be marked with a yellow dot (a rather large dot though :-D )

I think it would be too hard to distinguish a white H from a yellow one on a moving deck in reduced visibility or poor lighting conditions. The landing lights on the helipad is yellow though... As far as I remember, the requirements just say that the H in the landing zone should be either white or yellow, but whether there is a higher meaning to the actual color, I do not know...

Offline Leonard Cohen

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
The name of the base is "Helipad." Many times we have had to airlift sick patients from a vessel by chopper to a hospital. I have seen mega yachts with small helipads that only allow the skids of the chopper while the tail hangs out aft. Sometimes, if a vessel can't handle the landing, the chopper just gets close enough for an air transfer. The QE2 had a sheltered helipad aft of the funnel, which was nice. Most liners now have their pad way forward. Hope this helps.

BR
-Doc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk