Author Topic: Oil tanker, container ship on fire off Dubai  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Oil tanker, container ship on fire off Dubai
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »
A fire off the coast of Dubai on Tuesday was caused by a possible collision between a tanker carrying petroleum products and container vessel, port and rescue sources said.
A thick plume of black smoke was seen rising from the Gulf. It was not immediately clear what caused the incident or how much damage was done.
The oil tanker on fire off the coast of Dubai was carrying around 30,000 tonnes of oil condensates from Iran to the United Arab Emirates, two industry sources said on Tuesday.
The oil tanker, which is called the Kashmir http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=601415 , has a capacity of around 45,000 tonnes, ship brokers said. Condensates are light oils prized by refiners and petrochemical firms.

Fire broke out aboard an oil tanker off the  Gulf emirate of Dubai on Tuesday after a collision with a container vessel: Sima Saman http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=293963 , the  official WAM news agency reported.
   "The accident occurred at 12:35 (0835 GMT) seven nautical miles off Jebel  Ali port," the largest container facility in the Middle East, WAM said without  giving details of any casualties or damage.
   The agency said the tanker was carrying oil products, without elaborating.
   It did not say whether the fire had been contained, but a pillar of smoke  visible earlier from afar has since disappeared.

According AIS live, the tug Namer imo 9400617 is with the Kashmir at the moment.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Oil tanker, container ship on fire off Dubai
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
after the collision of the oil tanker "Kashmir" carrying around $9 million worth of petroleum products with the container m/V "Sima Buoy" off the Dubai coast, both vessels were on fire and sending up a thick plume of black smoke. One of the tanker's 22 tanks carrying liquefied gas was damaged. The "Sima Buoy" was leaving the port when the incident took place. Its crew was fighting the blaze on deck and it seemed to be under control. It was not immediately clear what caused the incident but one witness said the oil tanker appeared to be badly damaged. The tanker looked like it was about to sink. Witnesses reported two explosions. They said evacuation boats were deployed around the tanker. The collision happened in a shipping channel five miles from Jebel Ali Port. Crews were trying to contain the blaze and determine how to clear the channel.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
Hmm... An LPG carrier on fire - I guess the best place to be if that happens is somewhere else! The only thing I can think of which would be worse would be an LNG-carrier on fire!

The danish maritime newsportal "Maritime Danmark" has a picture of the burning ship:

http://www.maritimedanmark.dk/?Id=3758

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
I saw a test on TV a few weeks ago in an item about this new LNG terminal that they are building here in Rotterdam. In that test they started burning LNG and you would expect one big explosion but it did not. It burned but no big deal. But who nows this was all set-up to keep us dummies stupid and quiet ;-)
Fred

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
Actually, I think a leak would be the best case scenario (if you can call it that)... The real problem comes if there is a fire in one compartment heating up the tank to the point where the safety valve lifts! Then you'll have large amounts of heated gas vapours escaping thruogh the mast riser or even worse a pressure rupture of a tank. But anyway, if there is a fire, I'll keep my distance - just in case!  :-D

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
Lol, you should see me running, when I see some smoke coming from this future new terminal here in Rotterdam.
Fred

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Renan Raul

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://renanraul.blogspot.com
Renan Raul  :-)

Offline Renan Raul

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »
Viewing the pictures, it seems that the container vessel crashed at Kashmir on 45

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
It's not the Sima Buoy but Sima Saman

Cheers
Fred

Offline Renan Raul

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
Ops, that's because I can't find this vessel... :-D  Tks man! :-)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
Typically, the general media can't get things right. The container vessel is the SIMA SAMAN, built 2006, IMO 9330903.

The tanker is correct, KASHMIR, built 1988, IMO 8800248. However, she is a product tanker and therefore not able to carry LPG, as some stories suggest. She is actually carrying condensate, which is a heavy oil similar to crude oil.

Phil

Offline ianp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:12:47 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas on the scale of pollution damage that may result from the vessel Kashmir?  In my little understanding of the product (condensate) that she was carrying this is potentially very pollutant cargo

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
It may be interesting to notice that the Kshmir already in 2003 had a serious mishap under its previous name Cape Horn:
The injured master of the methanol carrier Cape Horn was hailed a hero along with other ship and tug crew yesterday after their swift action prevented a large explosion from occurring in the port of Livorno, writes Justin Stares in Rome.

Eric Leseur, 35, master of the Liberian-flagged vessel carrying 14,000 tonnes of methanol, turned his ship around and took it to a safe distance offshore after a fire developed during berthing on Saturday morning.

The fire broke out after a small collision with the dock, the master said.

The Cape Horn was under tow with a pilot on board. Tug and ship's crew attempted to control the blaze as the vessel was towed back out to sea (above). Most of the crew had been evacuated, though the master, pilot and four others remained on board. Less than 20 minutes later, two methanol tanks exploded, sending flames 30 metres into the air. In all, nine crew were reported injured, none seriously.

'It is true that the master is a hero,' said Francesco Ghio of the Livorno port authority, 'though we shouldn't forget the tug crews, who are heroes too. Two of them were also injured.' If the explosion had occurred inside the port, damage would have been much more serious, sources said. From his hospital bed, Capt. Leseur dismissed the accolade. 'Ridiculous,' he said. 'I just did my duty. Any master would have tried to take a ship carrying fuel away from port.'

Offline Stuart Lilly

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
Today's article in Tradewinds states that visibility was around "100 metres" and a pilot was aboard each vessel at the time of collision.
Sandstorm?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk