Author Topic: Laid Up Ships  (Read 214406 times)

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Laid Up Ships Falmouth and Torbay
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2009, 07:02:33 AM »
The 112,500 AP Moller tanker DONAX has just repositioned from Torbay to Southwold arriving 1000/10th where she had been since 31/7

The METHANIA has returned to Falmouth Bay arriving 10/1000 after departing there on 7/8 to the SW

Mike

Offline Cliff Yates

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Laid Up Ships
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »
Four ships laid up in Kiel, all from one company I believe, they are the Santa Arabella, Santa Giorgina, Santa Alina and Santa Adriana. They have been tied up for over eight weeks.

Cliff
 :-)

Offline Henry Pattison

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
Looks like the river Blyth is going to get two more.  Just pop'd up on the local list today (26/8/09) Cape Henry: eta 2pm fri 28/8/09, last port Falmouth down till 2010. Blue Ocean: eta 2pm fri 4/9/09, last port Cadiz this is down till 2010 also. First time post so i hope i'am doing this right. PS. Cala Ponente is still here.

Offline mike

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
This may sound a stupid question but i always wondered do they keep the full crews on board these lay up vessels. Plus what do they do with all the spare time while on board.
In Southampton where i live there is about 5 ships laid up. 4 car carrier and a gas ship margerat hill although she had been sold for scrap but detained by the enviorment group.

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
basically two types of lay-up are used:
- cold lay-up for longer periods
- stand by lay-up for shorter periods

even in stand-by lay-up the crew is sometimes reduced to various extend - sometimes significantly (but with possibility to call the crew relatively quickly to board the vessel)
in cold lay-up probably security and / or fire guards are only left onboard
however in cold lay-up ships are often being repaired by mobile gangs of fitters, welders, mechanics, electricians, etc. or by crew members, so - in such cases - the number of manpower onboard will not be significantly or will not be reduced at all... however it will be mostly not the crew, but fitters...

example of cold lay-up case:
http://www.vinamaso.net/news-events/shipping-logistics/mol-idles-5500-teu-ships-cold-lay-up.html
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Fotojoe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2009, 07:37:53 AM »
Tramp owners share of the worlds idle boxships has further increased
in the last weeks of September, as lines reduce capacity and hand back
chartered vessels to their owners, according to the latest Alphaliner
figures.

This is the first time since records began in October 2008 that tramp
owners have a larger share of the total idle fleet than carriers.

The number of idle ships belonging to non-operating owners now stands
at 379 ships with a combined capacity of 654,000 teu, the highest
level recorded to date, Alphaliner said. The number of
carrier-controlled idle vessels stands at 169 with a total capacity of
643,000 teu. Carriers have redelivered a high number of smaller ships,
which are expected to have difficulty finding new employment.

The total number of idle ships reached 548 units, or 1.3m teu,
representing 10% of the total world container fleet capacity,
Alphaliner said.

Source: Lloyd's List

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
The Maersk Baltimore, Maersk Bentonville, Maersk Beaumont, Sea-Land Performance will get accompany by one of her sisters somewhere at the end of this month, it will be the Maersk Brooklyn. She will call Bremerhaven, Rotterdam and Felixstowe prior being laid up in Loch Striven, Scotland. (All as a so-called Cold Lay-up)

This B-class was laid up in Asia, but used as one of the backup vessels for the cargo from the grounded Maersk Kendal 19/Sep at Singapore.
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline OPL

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
LYME BAY UPDATE  -  Two oil tankers sailed from here last night: CHAMPION PEACE left the outer anchorage bound for Southwold, while the HORIZON DIMITRA left the inner anchorage bound for Le Havre. Two more ships arrived this morning at about 0800  the North Sea shuttle tanker ABERDEEN arriving in ballast from Hamburg, closely followed by the empty container ship GULF BRIDGE from Rotterdam. The full line up of ships is as follows: Inner Anchorage

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fazer@yahoo.com
« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
With so many ships laid up why are there so many ships being built at the same time?? if there is no work?

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
Those new ships which are now ready to be delivered, where ordered a couple of years ago when the economy was still booming....
Michael van der Meer

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
I kinda thought that but it just seems to be ongoing! if there is no trade for these vessels they will hardly be broken up wil they? Its just ships ships and more ships everywere

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
It's just a case of 'supply and demand'. As the economy is dynamic, you might see a shortage of ships (capacity) and huge 'supply' of cargo if the economy is booming again. It's hard to find the correct balance.

Companies with a huge fleet are able to make money if there is plenty of cargo, smaller companies will suffer due to lack of capacity. In a crisis like this, companies with a huge fleet will suffer as they have not sufficient cargo to fill their fleet. (or against reasonable rates)
Michael van der Meer

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
So its like taking a chance and hoping for the best! Lets hope the econemy picks up so we can get some great pictures of these vessels at work!! I think it will take a while!!

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 05, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
Government Officers board Laid up tankers in Lyme Bay during a 'Duty Free' swoop.....'Bonded Stores' Sealed!!....Full Story and picture :-
                                          www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
What an extrordinary story, you would have thought that Her Majesty's Border Agency (sorry Browns Bully Boys) would have much better things to do, one wonders what they are trying to prove !!! There is one of their cutters that is about the southern north sea, dover strait area that has CUSTOMS painted on the side but they are plainly too busy to repaint it because it has what appears to be a sheet hangng over each side with the words BORDER AGENCY painted on it. How naff is that !! Providing the seamen on these, mostly, tankers, are not trying to make a "quick buck" in one way or another leave them alone. Whilst they are in Lyme Bay and also the many others off of Lowestoft they are undoubtedly helping the economies of these places..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk